News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Orb Ideas

Started by SmartyPants, August 20, 2010, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ertxiem

The weakening immunity/resistance orb has (another) lukewarm yay from me.
To me, the version that would make it easier to code is the one that affects everything (enemies and objects) in the same way. The version that makes more sense from a physical point of view is the one that keeps all immunities intact (and it's still easier to code). But, either way, it's up to Craig to decide what and how things are.

I was thinking about the Sight increase orb and remembered that their effects are achievable with training anyway, so I say nay. Perhaps if the attack bonus was higher (perhaps +20%) it was more interesting to have... but I'm not too enthusiastic about it...
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

bugfartboy

What about the original idea about it upping max and current defense by a small amount for a turn?

SmartyPants

I have a solution for the elemental reduction orb.  Why don't we just ignore immunities, because immunities are too perfect for the orb to find imperfections in.  It would be much simpler, if the orb only effected resistances.

KZ

im2smart4u- you already wrote exactly the same on the previous page.
See previous page for counter-arguments.

Not sure about that idea, APoC or bugfartboy.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on September 07, 2010, 05:56:19 PM
im2smart4u- you already wrote exactly the same on the previous page.
Yes, but I didn't think anyone but you read it and gave it serous thought.

Quote from: KZ on September 07, 2010, 05:03:19 PM
Personally, I would find the orb much more useful/powerful if it affected immunities as well as resistances- for resistances you deal damage to an enemy anyway, but there are some battles in TPA2 where a certain immunity would mean that some teams were not able to beat a single enemy and required special teammates! Thus, I strongly oppose the idea of dropping immunities (although it is a rather neat solution to the problem, im2smart4u), and try to decide whether we should include inanimate objects on the list of things whose immunities are reduced to resistance status by he orb's effects (for Duvalier only).
This isn't TPA2.  You don't pick your team.  Your team will have every "special temmates" necessary to fight any enemy, because the team is already premade for you.  Plus, it doesn't sit right with me to use mind attacks on mindless objects.

Ertxiem

I moved the discussion about the mental attacks to TSoG > Mental attacks.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

Inanimate objects have no minds and some spirits have perfect resilience to physical attacks.  The orb shouldn't be able to effect these flawless immunities.

ArtDrake

Well, the only character who'll use the orb is Duvalier, and he can do something Psy-related with the knife to make it do damage to the ghost.

And he wouldn't really use Knife much on ghosts anyway, when he could be doing something much more devastating.

bugfartboy

Can I attempt a revision at an orb? Two orbs to be exact. The blood orb and the violet orb. Both give a 15 point boost in their appropriate categories. But 15 isn't much after a while. What if they increased your health/psy points by 25% rounded? That way it would grow in power as you do.

SmartyPants

Your suggestion is too powerful.  After some time, if the blood or violet orb become less useful, then you can switch them for different, more usefull orbs.

bugfartboy

Alright. What if the raise was lowered? 25% was just really an example. It could be 10%. And why should two orbs be just useful for a while. Would you continue to use the yellow orb after your psi power reaches a certain level?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Bugfartboy on November 03, 2010, 04:34:29 PM
Would you continue to use the yellow orb after your psi power reaches a certain level?
If use don't need the extra PsP, then you can use an orb that gives you a diffrent bonus instead.

bugfartboy

I was merely asking if an orb good only for a short time was really worth putting in game. If you alter the increase into a formula, it would remain useful for considerably longer.