News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

It's over!

Started by Duskling, August 31, 2010, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duskling

The war in Iraq is officially over! Thoughts?

MikeW781

Not to be rude, but this seems a bit more like "Ditch Iraq for PR reasons" than "We won the Iraq War". We left Iraq a total mess, and its gonna be an issue.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

bugfartboy

It is going to be an issue. I'm tired of politicians feeding us a bunch of (I'm not really gonna say) just to win another election. Sometimes I just want to (I'm not going to say here either). Sorry bout the implied language. Iraq is a mess, and most of it is our fault. People are starting to like Obama less and less if my sources are correct.

Cypher

bugfartboy

Lucky you. I think. I'm not sure. Hmm.

KZ

Quote from: MikeW781 on August 31, 2010, 08:25:12 PM
"We won the Iraq War"

Just to point out, Duskling never said anything about "winning" the war- it is simply "over", which I find a very good and most appropriate way of putting a label to the situation. Let the time pass (say 20 years) to first start making judgementes about who won, or whether there was any real winner at all there.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

I may be mistaken, but I think the US still has 50,000 soldiers in Iraq.  Personally, I think we need to keep those soldiers in Iraq for longer then Obama's timeline.  Those soldiers are in charge of training and supporting the Iraqi military, while Iraqis are in charge of all military operations.  The Iraq military may have the capablity to fight the insurgency on thier own, but they are not equipped enough to fight states like Iran or Saudi Arabia. I think we need to stay in the country to support Iraq like we have soldiers support South Korea and Colombia.  The US soldiers in the country would prevent foreign nations from invading and it would allow us to support the government in fighting rebels with advise, training, and air support.

I know Obama said he wants to bring the soldiers home, but is moving soldiers from Iraq to Afghanistan accomplish that?

ArtDrake

We supported Colombia? The US is a bunch of hypocrites? First, we take a bit of Panama (the canal zone) in exchange for helping them with their end of the civil war, and then abt. 70 yrs. later or so, (I'm guessing) we support Colombia's side of things. Hm... I love my country.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on September 04, 2010, 07:02:41 PM
We supported Colombia? The US is a bunch of hypocrites? First, we take a bit of Panama (the canal zone) in exchange for helping them with their end of the civil war, and then abt. 70 yrs. later or so, (I'm guessing) we support Colombia's side of things. Hm... I love my country.
That was over a hundred years ago.  It was all US money that built the canal and Panama heavly benefited from it economically.  Even though we spent great amounts of both money and lives to build it, we latet gave it to Panama for free.  Plus, it is not hypocritical to support the government of Colombia, when we didn't support the government of Gran Colombia.  Is the US a bunch of hypocrites for supporting Afghanistan's new government when we didn't support the Taliban controled Afghanistan?

ArtDrake

The second example is different in that we took town the Taliban government installations, whereas as far as I know, we did not have an active role in replacing Colombia's government. It's pure chance that Colombia's government happens to be more likeable by the US than before, because as a country, they are rather cussed up.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll stop posting in this thread, because I have no idea what I'm talking about.

cyso

I think it is a little funny that we still have troops in Germany, and have had troops there since the end of WWII, troops in Korea since the end of the Korean War, but Obama wants all troops out (the 50,000 that Im2smart4u mentioned) by 2011.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

SmartyPants

I don't think we should have a permanent military base in Iraq unless the Iraqis really want us to (which they don't).  Korea wants our troops there to protect them from China and North Korea.  Japan and Germany need our troops there because they are not allowed to build a sizeable military after WWII, so we have to take on that role for them.  I think we should pull out completely as soon as Iraq is powerful enough to defend themselves from their neighbours.  Plus, a permanent military base would further piss off middle easterners, because they see the American military bases as a way for the "American Empire" to control the world.

ArtDrake

There's a fine line between a military base and an embassy with a guard.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on September 17, 2010, 10:36:20 PM
There's a fine line between a military base and an embassy with a guard.
I am not talking about embassies with guards.  I am talking about many foreign military bases.

I think we should have an embassy in Iraq. (Even though it will be more of a target, then a military base)

For those who don't know what they are talking about: DON'T POST!

ArtDrake

I totally saw the DON'T POST thing, it frankly, isn't that unconstitutional?

I do know what I'm talking about, and I'm trying to say that if violence escalated, the U.S. could always say they needed more soldiers/guards to protect the U.S. Embassy, and perhaps those guards could be dispatched to do other things in service of their country...