News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Dean Lukas' Resistance

Started by SmartyPants, September 17, 2010, 04:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Why did Dean Lukas learn Shadow Resistance when Light resistance woud have been easier?  With Dean Lukas having Light Affinity, it would be easier for him to use gain Light Resistance.  Since the Academy didn't teach Shadow or Cyro, Lukas would have went out of his way to find someone else to teach him Shadow Resistance or teach himself Shadow Resistance.  Is this a sign that he predicted a conflict with the Shadowling Empire?

Duskling

I think he just started preparing himself at the first sign that they were facing Shadowlings. Also, I think it's fair to say that he's a wise, yet trusting person, so why have an affinity that will protect him from his students, but not from Shadowlings?

SmartyPants

TRPG2 lasts for about a year and during that time, the Hero learned very few attacks.  Also, there has only been two humans seen using two elements.  I don't imagine anyone, including Lukas, able to hastily learn to use another element.  I bet he started training shadow resistance after the first student abduction, because he foresaw a major conflict against the Shadowling Empire.

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 17, 2010, 08:16:09 PM
I bet he started training shadow resistance after the first student abduction, because he foresaw a major conflict against the Shadowling Empire.
Isn't that a warped version of what I said? Either way, I think he foresaw this, as you said, after the capture of David, and how the Shadowlings were using him for his scanning abilities, where, shortly after, the Shadowling General, Tastidian, shows up at the Academy, and capturing the Main, I think the Dean may have been able to feel his emanations at, and, seeing as how the Shadowlings have begun kidnapping human Psy Academy students, he may have seen it as a sign of war. Is this what you meant, as it seems very likely in my opinion.

SmartyPants

I don't think he knew that Tastidian personally captured the Hero or thought it was a sign of war, but I do agree that Lukas knew that the Psy Academy would eventually end up fighting the Shadowling Empire.

Duskling

So then we agree to partially disagree then?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duskling on September 18, 2010, 01:51:20 PM
So then we agree to partially disagree then?
Sure.

I don't think Lukas was able to sense Tastidian at the Academy, becuase Tastidain is skilled at manipulating people's perception of psy power.  Remember how Tastidain was able to trick the Hero's sight into seeing his health at 999.

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 18, 2010, 02:17:37 PM
I don't think Lukas was able to sense Tastidian at the Academy, becuase Tastidain is skilled at manipulating people's perception of psy power.  Remember how Tastidain was able to trick the Hero's sight into seeing his health at 999.
Yes, in fact, I was going to mention that, but I was feeling lazy at the moment. But Dean Lukas and Tastidian were roughly at the same level, if Lukas wasn't a bit stronger. Even though Tastidian could hide his attacks and health from us, his health, according to the Wiki, was at roughly 250 area, while Dean Lukas, while not able to conceal it, had 320 health. The point being, I think they're both at around the same level.

SmartyPants

Tastidain may have less health, but he was able to heal himself every turn, while he was using shockwave and manipulating people's perception of psy power.  This means he was probably more powerful then Lukas.  Even if Lukas and Tastidain were of the same level, Tastiadain would be more skilled at manipulating people's perception of psy power, then Lukas would be at scanning.

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 19, 2010, 10:19:33 AM
Tastidain may have less health, but he was able to heal himself every turn, while he was using shockwave and manipulating people's perception of psy power.  This means he was probably more powerful then Lukas.  Even if Lukas and Tastidain were of the same level, Tastiadain would be more skilled at manipulating people's perception of psy power, then Lukas would be at scanning.
Oh! Now I get it how you do it! You just find holes in our knowledge, and fill them in yourself... very, very clever.

SmartyPants

You also know Lukas didn't sense Tastiadain, because Falstaff said David was the only one who sensed the shadowlings.

Zackirus

Lukas wasn't metioned in the first game. I am pretty sure he would sensed a powerful shadowling.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

But once again, he was able to hide his true power. Tastidian that is.

Zackirus

Even though he is able to hide his power, don't you think Lukas would have gotten susipious after the first shadowling abductions. I think that he wanted to be safe if shadowling attacked Psy Academy (As shadowlings all use shadow attacks).
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

Except Festus. He had no shadow attacks.