News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Scratch

Started by Idozen Cair, March 16, 2011, 08:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idozen Cair

Does anyone use the program Scratch here?
I doesn't care, do I?

Cypher

I used to, but eventually I got bored and stopped using it.

bugfartboy

I don't know what Scratch is.

Ertxiem

I think the mentioned Scratch is a programming language. I never used it, though.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

ArtDrake

It's a bit... junior.

Cypher

Quote from: Duckling on March 16, 2011, 10:05:32 PM
It's a bit... junior.
More than a bit, I'd say... it's extremely simple. I used it when I was in primary.

Idozen Cair

I'm in primary now, and I'm just getting a grasp on programming. Created first game 3 days ago. I was wondering... how do you get a sprite to hide itself, but get it to pop back out afterwards? I'm having a sprite which are the letters 'game over' but I want it to appear after the game has ended. Is it possible?
I doesn't care, do I?

Cypher

Don't expect me to answer, I stopped using Scratch long ago.

ArtDrake

Well, presumably, there's a hide command, or at least a command to move the sprite off the screen instantaneously, and you use that at the beginning. Then, at the end of the game script, tell the sprite to come back on.

Idozen Cair

Is it possible to get a sprite to move 'up'? I can only get it to move left and right.
I doesn't care, do I?

Ertxiem

I don't know scratch, but try to use negative numbers (if 2 is right, -2 should be left).

Edit: Sorry. I misread your post.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

bugfartboy

He said he can ONLY get it to move left and right. He can't get it to move UP.

Idozen Cair

or down, for that matter. I'm trying to make a game where you control a paddle and bounce the ball up to destroy the bricks.
I doesn't care, do I?

Ertxiem

I did a quick google search with the terms
Scratch move up down
You can see the results, if you like.

And one of those results caught my attention:
Introduction To Scratch: Exercise 1
In there it shows how to move sprites. The number "90" is the angle (in degrees) counted from the vertical (12 o'clock):

90  = right
-90 = left
 0 = up
180 = down

Diagonals would be 45, 135, -45 and -135 (and all other numbers for different diagonals). Try multiples of 30 degrees (or even multiples of 15 degrees).
Ert, the Dead Cow.