News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The Doomsday Theory

Started by Duskling, March 17, 2011, 09:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the world end in 2012?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
13 (92.9%)
Undecided
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Duskling

We've all heard about it, the 2012 doomsday theory, what do you think about this? Will we all die next year, or is this just another Y2K?

Steelfist

I doubt it, personally.

Sure, it's a significant date if you think that the fact that- what was it? - the Ancient Mayans(?) calender ended on that date is significant Something like that. Sure, there are some coincidences in 'prophecies'. But it just doesn't sound like enough to support such an implausable theory.

But really, does anyone actually believe in this?

Ertxiem

Nope. It's just another theory based on zero scientific facts.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

MikeW781

No, and I'm gonna really enjoy watching all the idiots running around crazy the day before because they think the world will end.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Duskling

So then, all who have seen this so far agree that this is just another Y2K? That the morning of December 22nd, 2012, everyone who believes in this will wake up feeling pretty slow?

Zackirus

I don't believe it either. Their have been so many "the world is going" to end theories, it's hard to believe in this one.

Dusk: I made a mistake and voted yes instead of no, can you make an option to change your poll vote please.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Duskling

Sorry, I really wish I could, but I don't know how. :(

Ertxiem

Quote from: Duskling on March 18, 2011, 08:05:56 PM
I edited the poll and allowed the voters to change their mind. :P
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Duskling

Quote from: Ertxiem on March 19, 2011, 07:08:13 AM
Quote from: Duskling on March 18, 2011, 08:05:56 PM
I edited the poll and allowed the voters to change their mind. :P
Many thanks, Ert. :)

cyso

Wow, I guess no one trust the Mayans!
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Duskling

Quote from: cyso on March 20, 2011, 07:32:24 PM
Wow, I guess no one trust the Mayans!
Their calender is what supports these theories in any way, but there is no clear indication why it stopped there, some say it's not the end of the world, but, on the contrary, the start of some new age.

cyso

Maybe they thought they had plenty of time to continue the calender later.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Steelfist

Having done some research, I found that this theory originated with a woman who claimed that she had an implant in her brain which allowed her to be contacted by aliens. The aliens had warned her that a planet (Nibiru, or planet X. No proof of the existence of this planet has been found) would pass close to the planet earth or even collide, more or less destroying the planet. The date set was originally 2003, but was altered, presumably after the planet failed to show.

And that is the main theory behind 2012: Doomsday! Any takers?

Xemadus Echina

2012 is supposed to be the solar maximum (though the experts are saying that will now be in 2013) the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 because they ran out of space on the rock (obviously)... it actually ends because the long count calendar (what we just call the Mayan calendar) is not cyclical, and is in fact linear, and 2012 (proper noun) is the date that we enter the age of Aquarius (or is is Pieces?) also in 2012 we are due for a magnetic shift (magnetic north pole and magnetic south pole switch) and this either causes, or is accompanied by (or they're both separate events, I don't remember exactly) a flip of the mantle which is supposed to cause increased earthquake and volcanic activity.  Planet X is just a myth.  There is no evidence that it exists in the form that doomsayers claim.  I think there were a few other things but this is all I can remember off the top of my head.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Duskling

Quote from: rainen on June 24, 2011, 10:22:44 PM
2012 is supposed to be the solar maximum (though the experts are saying that will now be in 2013) the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 because they ran out of space on the rock (obviously)... it actually ends because the long count calendar (what we just call the Mayan calendar) is not cyclical, and is in fact linear, and 2012 (proper noun) is the date that we enter the age of Aquarius (or is is Pieces?) also in 2012 we are due for a magnetic shift (magnetic north pole and magnetic south pole switch) and this either causes, or is accompanied by (or they're both separate events, I don't remember exactly) a flip of the mantle which is supposed to cause increased earthquake and volcanic activity.  Planet X is just a myth.  There is no evidence that it exists in the form that doomsayers claim.  I think there were a few other things but this is all I can remember off the top of my head.
Bold part: *Facepalm.*