News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The Doomsday Theory

Started by Duskling, March 17, 2011, 09:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the world end in 2012?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
13 (92.9%)
Undecided
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

ArtDrake

Magnetic pole switch? Really?

SmartyPants

The Mayans weren't clever enough to invent the wheel or predict their own doom, so why should I take thier theory serous?

Xemadus Echina

Yea and there's proof of it happening around the mid atlantic rift.  Theres a rock called magnetite (and maybe something else, it's been awhile since i read the article) and the crystals point north like the needles of a compass.  It goes in bands,in one band the crystals point north, in the next band the crystals point south and the pattern repeats itself. 
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

ArtDrake

You know, when I was in marching band, we tended to point East and West, but I've heard it both ways.

And im2smart4u, when you call the Mayans out on their lack of cleverness, please do try to spell "their" correctly.

SmartyPants

The magnetic poles have switched throughout earth's history without bringing doomsday to the earth.

Plus, I doubt the credibility of your sources, articles, and "experts".  Show me a legitimate link and I might take this more serious.

Sorry for all the errors.  It is hard to focus with little sleep.

Xemadus Echina

I don't remember exactly where it was I heard about all of these, most likely I heard about them from a variety of sources, but you can simply Google them and I'm sure you'll find more concrete facts.  As for whether or not your belief in the matter matters to me, well take a look at your last few posts.
im writing a book!
You never know

Xemadus Echina

I'm sorry, I said "google it" assuming you had enough common sense to know to use discretion when searching through google.  I guess common sense isn't as common as I thought.
im writing a book!
You never know

SmartyPants

Quote from: rainen on June 29, 2011, 04:42:47 PMI don't remember exactly where it was I heard about all of these, most likely I heard about them from a variety of sources, but you can simply Google them and I'm sure you'll find more concrete facts.
Your friends' hearsay and wikipedia aren't legitimate sources.  I did search google and found a tone of bogus ".com" sites and one legitimate website that says "2012 Doomsday Theroy" is a myth.

Next time, do your own research, so you actually know what you are talking about.  Maybe then, you can made a good argument instead of childishly trying to attack my credibility by pointing out typos.  The time you took to upload a picture of a "ligament", you could have read and understood an article about 2012's doomsday theory.

Xemadus Echina

I'm sorry.  You apparently don't understand the fact that when I posted that stuff about what's happening in 2012, I clearly stated, multiple times, that I don't remember where I saw it, I don't remember if it's all 100% accurate, and well that's pretty much it.

And for your information, if any of my friends were actually smart enough to list any of the things i mentioned, I would probably interact with that person on an intellectual level instead of just letting lose and doing whatever it is i want, no matter how moronic i may feel.

You either choose to ignore the fact that I mentioned that my information may not be accurate, and the source of such information is unknown, (frankly, I find it irrelevant on the grounds that this is a game based forum) or you, like others before you, are just obsessed with constantly throwing out everything I say or do on an intellectual level. In which case I say, welcome back Presentiment.
im writing a book!
You never know

ArtDrake

im2smart4u:
Most children are the ones responsible for said typos, and don't tend to call one another out on it. Except for certain anatidane forum users.

However, your credibility could be enhanced if you took the time to prevent spelling and grammatical errors -- that said, I should like to remark that if this truly were the end of the world in 2012, I should think that more deities or cultures might have spoken up about it.

raisin:
He does understand, and it clearly focusing on this; you apparently lack an understanding of the great importance assigned to credibility by the forum member whom you address.

Concerning your second sentence, some context, grammatical correctness, and a cease to the disrespect directed at your friends all might go a long way in the reasonable discussion.

Next, I wish to point out that you state the points you do as facts and correct premises for your argument (or quarrel) with im2smart4u, but then insist that they cannot be taken as fact. This, frankly, is a coward's tactic. You would accept winning the argument, were you to do so, but were you to lose, you would most likely immediately choose to deny any credibility of your statements, and, irritatingly, you do so all throughout the argument when these shoddy factoids are flatly contradicted by reliable sources.

And to conclude, I shall enquire as to why im2smart4u might "welcome back Presentiment." The notorious flamer/spammer is not returning, and were he to, he should be most unwelcome.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling' on June 29, 2011, 11:50:48 PMim2smart4u:
Most children are the ones responsible for said typos, and don't tend to call one another out on it. Except for certain anatidane forum users.

However, your credibility could be enhanced if you took the time to prevent spelling and grammatical errors -- that said, I should like to remark that if this truly were the end of the world in 2012, I should think that more deities or cultures might have spoken up about it.
You got me there, but you guys could cut me some slack.  I shouldn't be taunted for typos when I only slept 4 hours the night before I posted.

Quote from: rainen on June 29, 2011, 11:34:04 PMI'm sorry.  You apparently don't understand the fact that when I posted that stuff about what's happening in 2012, I clearly stated, multiple times, that I don't remember where I saw it, I don't remember if it's all 100% accurate, and well that's pretty much it.
I point out that you don't know what you are talking about, so you counterpoint by further clarifying that you don't know what you are talking about?  I don't even know how to respond to that.

Quote from: Duckling' on June 29, 2011, 11:50:48 PMNext, I wish to point out that you state the points you do as facts and correct premises for your argument (or quarrel) with im2smart4u, but then insist that they cannot be taken as fact. This, frankly, is a coward's tactic. You would accept winning the argument, were you to do so, but were you to lose, you would most likely immediately choose to deny any credibility of your statements, and, irritatingly, you do so all throughout the argument when these shoddy factoids are flatly contradicted by reliable sources.
Well put.  You would have just won my vote in "Best Debator?" if I could change my vote.

Deagonx

I took the time to google a few keywords thrown around by Rainen

The idea of a magnetic pole switch has apparently been a 'doomsday' phenomenon over a few recent years.

In truth (Or atleast, according to NASA) the magnetic pole switch is not going to happen to earth in 2012, but rather the sun will have its magnetic poles switched.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

ArtDrake

I don't suppose you could cite NASA on that, could you. The URL of the page on which that is stated?

Deagonx

Quote from: Duckling′ on July 07, 2011, 03:10:38 PM
I don't suppose you could cite NASA on that, could you. The URL of the page on which that is stated?

Yes, here is a link to their official website.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast15feb_1/
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

ArtDrake

Thank you.

But it does that every decade or so, and it hasn't ended the world so far.