The Sinister Design Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Author Topic: Multiplayer - ranked matches?  (Read 2506 times)

machine

• Ghost
    • View Profile
Multiplayer - ranked matches?
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »

I've seen the multiplayer aspect of this game described as 'hot-seat', which I guess means taking turns at a single PC.  Will there be an online multiplayer component too?  Ranked matchmaking would give this game immense replay value and make competitive multiplayer rewarding.

CraigStern

• The Creator
  • Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sinister Design
Re: Multiplayer - ranked matches?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »

There will be online multiplayer via play-by-email. Other than that, the current focus is on single player.

(The community has been pretty loud about its preference for single player--and being only one guy, I unfortunately have to set some limits on the scope of the project to ensure that Telepath Tactics releases in a reasonable time frame.)

JeenLeen

• Mechanic Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »

How does play-by-email work?  This seems like an embarrassingly basic question, but I hadn't heard of that process before.  I imagine it's actually some synching between an e-mails sytem and the game directly.  Is that close to correct?

CraigStern

• The Creator
  • Administrator
  • General
    • View Profile
    • Sinister Design
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:15:20 AM »

Basically, the game will generate a file at the end of your turn, which you'll email to the next player. They'll take their turn, then send their turn file to the next player; and so on.

bum_199

• Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 03:10:59 AM »

does this mean there will be a limit of 2 human players for email? maybe im not following right.

ArtDrake

• Black Cape
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:29:38 AM »

Nothing inherent to the system he describes would suggest the limit should necessarily exist; however, it might take some shenanigans to adapt an existing system from 2-player to n-player, and he's a bit crunched for time and energy, so who knows?