News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Gaps in and bugs in enemy AI

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Presentiment

My main beef with the AI is that it will never attack anything five squares away. For example, in the Guards battle, your main has 18 HP and a guard is five squares away. It will not walk three squares and throw a spear to kill you, but it will just move two.

The AI needs to be more aggressive.

Zackirus

Quote from: Presentiment on March 20, 2010, 02:28:01 PM
My main beef with the AI is that it will never attack anything five squares away. For example, in the Guards battle, your main has 18 HP and a guard is five squares away. It will not walk three squares and throw a spear to kill you, but it will just move two.

The AI needs to be more aggressive.

I argee with Presentiment, the A.I should attack you when ever possible, and if they can reach it, always go for a backstab or your party.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

Quote from: Zhampir on March 20, 2010, 10:48:29 AM
perhaps the AI was trying to keep from being attacked itself?
As far as I am aware, the AI doesn't have self-preservation mechanism - if it can, it will attack and try to deal the most damage.
In fact, from what I see, TSoG employs units that have had their AI written over very long period of time, such that some of the most basic and oldest units have realtively primitive AI- 'cause the latest AI to roll out is pretty good in comparison- take the Greater Ghost,for instance. But then again, the old AI has been patched up during TPA2 production. All I know is that if all AI is of the level of Greater Ghost, the enemies will pose a greater challenge.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

MikeW781

i agree, with Presentiment, whenever I am more than a melee fighters immeadiate reach (i.e. they cannot attack me this turn) the enemy will only move 1 step at a time, making the solo fight with Arman really easy (I just leap on to the largest roof and stay there)
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

MikeW781

addition to the point of the AI not being aggresive:
OOX
OXO
OXO
OOO
OMO
X=GAURD
M=MAIN
O=EMPTY

Next turn I kill the two guards nearest to me, and the remaining guard, who could have finished me by using all 3 steps then his spear throw, only moves 1 step.
This is easy for me, and I feel as though the AI could use a little work in this section

Ertxiem

The bandit AI doesn't choose to move 3 squares to attack.
In the image below, one bandit moved 2 squares to attack Arman (green arrow).
However, the bandit that was 3 squares away only moved 2 squares and didn't get near Arman (red arrow). If he moved another square, he could attack Arman.
Another thing is that bandits make a frontal attack to Griffin, instead of trying to to move to the side to avoid Griffin's counter (I didn't take a screen shot of that one).
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Bromtaghon

The bandit moved to the right of my Hero, but chose not to attack.

Also, he could have moved in front of the Hero to avoid exposing his backside, but he didn't do that either.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

CraigStern

I've optimized the enemy AI a bit more--hopefully that should resolve any issues with enemies not running the attack AI.

Bromtaghon

I was in the Deeper Downs, and none of the Nymphs attacked my characters, even if there weren't wounded units to heal- they just walked around doing nothing until we slaughtered them.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

MikeW781

I was wondering which has priority-healing or attacking?

CraigStern

That depends on the enemy. (I believe most healer units are programmed to prioritize healing.)

MikeW781

Does the priority include how much the unit needs healing versus who the Nymph can kill? I believe that the Nymph healed his barely wounded ally instead of killing Arman when i was checking the AI....

CraigStern

Currently, it does not. I haven't gotten around to revamping the healer AI just yet. :)

MikeW781

Next up, do you intend to have static shield at such a low priority? Its only above attacking non-damaged, non-healer foes right now.