News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Occupy Wall Street- Thoughts?

Started by Duskling, September 21, 2011, 09:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duskling

The internet group "Anonymous" (Among other groups) is occupying Wall Street. Any thoughts?

SmartyPants

These people are idiots.  First they planned to protest on wall street.  Second, they put a poll online to decide what they are going to protest about.  How strongly can you feel about something if you have to have an online poll decide for you?  These are clearly unemployeed people who rather collect unemployment checks and protest infront of banks, then take a job that they are overqualified for.

ArtDrake

Mayhap they felt strongly about all of the choices in the poll.

SmartyPants

I personally think their timing is terrible.  They should had the protests years ago.  Right now, wallstreet is only giving loans to safe bets.  The protest should have happened when the banks need a bailout caused by two decades of risky loans.

ArtDrake

I can't quite say that I sympathize with them, either. Wall Street greed would have been a valid protest a while ago, but the damage is really done.

SmartyPants

Plus, it is hard to say that you are on the right side of an issue when Michael Moore represents you.

ArtDrake

Ehh... Michael Moore, I think, has a lot of the right ideas, but goes about talking about them in the wrong way.

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 01, 2011, 01:18:46 PM
Plus, it is hard to say that you are on the right side of an issue when Michael Moore represents you.

I laughed for 5 minutes straight.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on October 01, 2011, 07:12:18 PMEhh... Michael Moore, I think, has a lot of the right ideas, but goes about talking about them in the wrong way.
How do you think Michael Moore has the right ideas?  He is the only person who creates more conspiracy theories then Glenn Beck.  He also lies all the time.

ArtDrake

Not those ideas.

I meant that he criticizes large corporations for their misdeeds, owners of assault weapons, the Iraq War, and the healthcare system. I can sympathize with all of these.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on October 02, 2011, 11:15:33 PMNot those ideas.

I meant that he criticizes large corporations for their misdeeds, owners of assault weapons, the Iraq War, and the healthcare system. I can sympathize with all of these.
You listed "those" ideas from his movies which are full of lies and conspiracy theories.

CraigStern

I don't think you need to have a fully fleshed-out policy proposal on hand in order to exercise your Constitutional right to protest. The protesters are expressing anger at a corrupt political system that favors the wealthy investor class and ignores their interests; the sheer number of reforms that would need to be implemented to change that are mind-boggling, and wouldn't lend themselves to a protest message in any event. The protesters' dissatisfaction is message enough, in my view.

You might appreciate the perspective of a journalist in England: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/oct/05/occupy-wall-street-demands

Deagonx

Quote from: CraigStern on October 05, 2011, 04:07:40 PM
I don't think you need to have a fully fleshed-out policy proposal on hand in order to exercise your Constitutional right to protest. The protesters are expressing anger at a corrupt political system that favors the wealthy investor class and ignores their interests; the sheer number of reforms that would need to be implemented to change that are mind-boggling, and wouldn't lend themselves to a protest message in any event. The protesters' dissatisfaction is message enough, in my view.

You might appreciate the perspective of a journalist in England: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/oct/05/occupy-wall-street-demands

I gotta be honest here, Craig, I think Smarty was pretty spot on when he said "How strongly can you feel about something when you need an online poll to decide for you?"

I don't even know what they're protesting about. All they are doing is singing songs and waving vague signs around like a bunch of hippies.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

SmartyPants

Quote from: CraigStern on October 05, 2011, 04:07:40 PMI don't think you need to have a fully fleshed-out policy proposal on hand in order to exercise your Constitutional right to protest.
The protesters don't need to know what they are talking about in order to protest, but needed to be well informed to be taken seriously.

CNN- What does Occupy Wall Street stand for?

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 05, 2011, 11:14:43 PM
The protesters don't need to know what they are talking about in order to protest, but needed to be well informed to be taken seriously.

That certainly didn't stop the Tea Party protesters.