News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Canada (with rules)

Started by Zhampir, March 16, 2010, 01:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Presentiment

Petroleum.

Took me three seconds to google it up.

KZ

See, I am not interested in Google results, what I am interested in, is what a person living in Canada would say. How they come by such results is a different matter, they might even use the same sources, what is interesting is how they filter them.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Presentiment

-.-

I hope nobody is fooled by that.

What, petroleum being the #1 export from Canada is a controversial issue?

Give me a break.

KZ

Ok, let's put it another way: this is a thread started by a Canadian, hence I am not interested in answers from you, I am interested in anwers from him (or anyone else living in Canada, for that matter). It's the delivery that matters and interests me. There are many ways to come by this info, even if it's not completely controverisal,it's still interesting to hear in what terms the locals coach this info.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Presentiment

Okay, I'm from Canada. [/sarcasm] :/ KZ

Its petroleum.

In such a simple topic there's going to be an answer, called petroleum.

I don't expect Zackirus to say:

It is the gold of our region, the lifeblood of our economy, we are so devoted to the export that is petroleum it is punishable by death to put it into a car, we do ablutions in it, it is,

petroleum.

Or anything that would be different from my point of view, because this is purely objective.

KZ

Finally I got you to state it: now your answer is put into context that others can identify with (ie you're from that land), rather than asking why you are answering a question, and in a very laconic manner.
See, the question is put  further promote explanations, which Zackirus is very willing to offer. And since he does expand on any topic at hand, then there might be extra information involved, willingly divulged, such as what are the Canadian's views  (or, in his view their views) on this maojor export, would they want to change it to something else, diversify, how long has it been the primary export, is it the primary export by far, etc.

Ok, here is then a question for you as well, (though on the condition that you still go there often, or currently reside there): to what degree and in which ways, if at all, did the Candians feel the global economic crisis? Some personal observations, maybe local/national media focus/reactions, etc?
Welcome to the forums!

Zackirus

Going back to the main export of Canada, I completely disagree with whatever site Presentiment got his info from. I think even though that we might export more than anything else. I say three things drive the Canadian Economy: Gold (which has a very high price these days), our Banking (we have had years of good Banking in Canada), and the oil industry, since because of the Alberta Tar sands and Hibernia Oil Fields (which is off the coast of Newfoundland) we have been almost teeming in oil, which we then sell to the US for big profit.

To The extent of the rescission it hit us in a quick and sudden shock. Our government, had first said after the US housing market tanked that we would be just fine and we didn't feel anything, whoever after around  1 month, the TSX (Toronto stock exchange) and other major Canadian Companies started to fall rapidly and people started to worry and question  what the government said. After another 1 week, our government cam lean and we were in a Rescission. This hit like a block of bricks. So as you know it, people us being laid off and cut from the work and bankruptcy went up a whooping 3%. We were out of the Recession in around 1 year though, and we are certainly working to regain jobs and etc.

I hope I answered all your questions, and I am flattered that you guys were talking about me in the third person. Thanks  ;)
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Presentiment

Gold is usually not a primary export, as it is both rare and heavy.

I hope you aren't exporting your bankers.

Oil=Petroleum, in case you didn't know.

Zhampir

he didn't say "export" he said what "drives the Canadian economy"
He also stated that Petroleum might be exported more, but it is not what keeps their economy afloat. So, yes, I believe he did know Petroleum is the same as Oil.

Presentiment

Quote from: KZ on March 20, 2010, 04:59:31 PM
What produce/branch drives the Canadian economy? What's the export?

That was the question.

Zackirus

Quote from: KZ on March 20, 2010, 04:59:31 PM
What produce/branch drives the Canadian economy? What's the export?

Yes I knew Petroleum was the same a oil, I said it didn't drive the economy itself, it said it needed the pther two things. We don't export our bankers but our banking services
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Presentiment

Outsourcing doesn't help a country, only a company.

Zackirus

Yet

Outsourcing= Company with more $= Higher Tax Bracket= More $ to government

- Lord Canada

cyso

How do Canadian elections work?
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Zackirus

Each Area in Canada is dived into 351 (almost) electoral ridings or divisions. In each of those ridings a person who works for a particular party (we'll take about those later) stand ups and runs for that party, then what happens is you vote for the person in the riding who you think want to represent your community area. The country with the most ridings wins and becomes the federal party of Canada, and then the leader of that party becomes the prime minister. There is the catch though, if the federal party wins but has less than half the seats in the house, they need the houses (or other parties) support if they want to pass any bills. If they win more and half the ridings then they do not need the houses confidence, and can pass laws straight to the senate.   

- Lord Canada