News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Spirit Identity vs. Jinn

Started by SmartyPants, February 13, 2011, 02:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If a spirit mistake his/her identity, does that make the spirit into a Jinn?

Yes
No

SmartyPants

There are two cases in TSoG where a spirit can mistake thier identity.

First it is with Azma:
[spoiler]When Azma forgets his name, Duvalier can make Azma believe his name is "Zalam".[/spoiler]

Second it is with Luca:
[spoiler]To scare an angry mob, Luca will pretent to be the Angle of Yawah, Luca'ra'il.  If Duvalier encourages her to act like a wrathful angle, then she will mistakenly believe that she really is Luca'ra'il[/spoiler]

If the spirit's personality / identity change, does that make them a Jinn?

Steelfist

It doesn't seem so; they remain fairly stable, don't they?

Besides, I think the name is not as important as that they believe they have a tie to their past life/a purpose, a purpose would allow them to form a new personality, and their 'name' might allow them to fabricate a past life in their minds.

bugfartboy

I don't think so. I think the name is just symbolic and makes it easier for the wandering mind of the spirit to keep a purpose. So I agree with Steelfist.

MikeW781

The definition of a Jinn, according to the wiki, is a spirit that doesn't remember its name. So yes, it would.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

bugfartboy

Unless the spirit finds another name and it's identity becomes attached to it instead. I would think that the definition means that by losing it's name, the spirit loses it's focus and concentration, causing it to become maniacal and crazy. I would think that the spirit could "adopt" their new name and forge themselves a new focus, past, and purpose.

SmartyPants

I think a spirit needs a sense of identity to remain stable.  Much like the spirits that are protecting the indigo orb, a spirit without a sense of identity is just primal emotions.  Therefore, I think a spirit needs to lose all sense of identity(correct or incorrect) inorder to become a Jinn.