News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Old forums

Started by Ertxiem, March 03, 2010, 06:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ertxiem

The search function is not working properly on the old forums.
It seems that searches are only made on posts made after the upgrade to the new version. That hinders the usefulness of the old forums as an archive.
Or perhaps it's just me doing something wrong...
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

KZ

You might be right on this, Ertxiem (at least, when I try to search for "Shadowling" it claims no post contains such word!).
But  I do disagree: the stuff is still there, the discussions, the ideas, it's just a bit harder to find now. But anyone looking at the first few pages of any given forum will see most of the interesting threads.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Presentiment

It would make topic-searching more difficult.

Ertxiem

Unfortunately, the old forums are less useful than they could be. Rereading my post, it seems a bit drastic. I guess I was a bit frustrated to have to look by hand what I know it would be much easier to find if the search worked.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

KZ

Unfortunately, there is little we can do about it, unless freepowerboards change their search system to include old posts.

Think of it that way though: there was a period of about a week/two weeks back in january, when it seemed that all those posts will be lost, because freepowerboards terminated their support v2 version and decided to simply discard all data from forums still using it. So, keeping this in mind, I think we're quite lucky to still have all those 30000 odd posts as an archive which we an refer to: after all, it contains almost 2&1/2 years of SinisterDesign project development and user participation!
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Ertxiem

Yep. It could be worse. Better this than nothing.

Does freepowerboards has a way to download the forum contents? It might be a file of, perhaps, 30MB? But then again, it might be too much work to put that file into use (something like inserting the old forums in here).
Ert, the Dead Cow.

Zackirus

Quote from: Ertxiem on March 21, 2010, 08:50:32 PM
Yep. It could be worse. Better this than nothing.

Does freepowerboards has a way to download the forum contents? It might be a file of, perhaps, 30MB? But then again, it might be too much work to put that file into use (something like inserting the old forums in here).

Couldn't Somebody will enough knowledge of the old forums simply state the major things that happened the in forums and people can refer back to them if need be?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Zhampir

Could somebody please post a link to the old forums?

KZ

Zackirus- well, it depends what the period covered is. A lot of things happened, and I guess I am now (haven't seen ender online since autumn), apart from Craig, the only one who's been the entire time on the old forums. I'll see if I have the time.

Here is a temporary link to the old forums (I'll add it to the general FAQ): http://sinisterdesign.freepowerboards.com/index.php?sid=feeaadff635902ded661a2147594bf65
Welcome to the forums!