News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ravinale Mafia

Started by Barzul, March 18, 2010, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you rate this mission?

10 - Perfection
6 (37.5%)
9 - Amazing, it only needs a few little tweaks
5 (31.3%)
8 - Great, there are some things I don't like
2 (12.5%)
7 - Good, it could still use some work
1 (6.3%)
6 - Acceptable, it has some good points, but not many
2 (12.5%)
5 - Okay, needs a lot of fixing
0 (0%)
4 - Fair, I like it generally, but needs a lot of work
0 (0%)
3 - Bad, it needs to be completely reworked
0 (0%)
2 - Awful, you should delete and start again
0 (0%)
1 - Horrible, no chance of going in the game
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Barzul

[Author's Note: This is an old mission I made on the old forums and it got some pretty good reviews. Now there are some different people and I'm wondering what you're opinion on it is and any changes that you think could be made. Thanks!]

This quest begins in the Ravinale Marketplace. This quest would be playable after you beat the Resisting Arrest battle, the fight you get into after giving money and then asking for it back from the Cultist beggar, also after the Slums south of the dock are open.

It begins by talking to one of the Ravinale merchants (Figure A), when you click on him, he says:

[spoiler]
1. That was quite some show you put on young man. You must be a great warrior to take on three of those jackals at once by yourself. I could use a man like you.
 a. Someone like me? [sends to 2]
 b. What's the job? [sends to 3]
 c. I don't know what you're talking about. [ends conversation, have to beat battle again to resume]

2. Someone who has the strength to publicly show their hate of the Cult and survive.
 a. What is it you want? [sends to 3]

3. Well, its hard enough to live these days with all of the bandits and the cult patrols, but the real bane to everyone in Ravinale are the crime lords. They are responsible for nearly every crime in Ravinale, and no one is safe from them.
 a. What can I do about it? [sends to 4]
 b. Not my problem. [ends conversation, have to beat battle again to resume]

4. You can take them out. It really shouldn't be that hard, they can only do what they do because if anyone stands up to one of the Lords, they all fight back. But if one person could kill them in succession quickly, no reinforcements should come from the other Lords.
 a. Where can I find them? [sends to 5]
 b. Sounds too dangerous. [ends conversation, have to beat battle again to resume]

5. Thank you, you will have the thanks of everyone in Ravinal if you can do this. The crime network is very large, but the whole infrastructure relies on three people: Shara Grek, Rekje Dram, and Herme Gollis. They each control a part of the city. Rekje controls everything in the slums, Shara is in charge of the rich, and Herme owns the merchants.
 a. How can I kill anyone with that kind of power? [sends to 6]
 b. I'll go right now. [ends conversation, opens Gollis home and Rekje hideout]

6. Well... killing all of them should not be necessary, if you are cunning then you should be able to get them to do all the fighting for you. Use everything to your advantage.
 a. Thank you for the advice. [ends conversation, opens Gollis home and Shara's palace]
[/spoiler]

[Note, everything to do with Griffin is not necessary, but very helpful.]

If you go to Baz's manor before you start, you can go and ask Griffin about someone, the Crime Lords, if you click on it, the following dialogue appears:

[spoiler]
1. The Crime Lords? They are one scary group, they believe they can get whatever they want with no repercussions. They only fear the cult, but they haven't done anything to really offend the cult so they won't attack the Lords. If you really want to know more you should ask Arman, he used to be big in the crime network.
 a. Arman? That makes sense...[ends conversation]
[/spoiler]

After you talk with Griffin, you can ask Arman something new: "What do you know about the Crime Lords?" If you click on it, the following text tree follows:

[spoiler]
1. The Crime Lords, what would a kid like you want to know about them?
 a. Well, what do you know? [sends to 2]
 b. I want to take them down. [sends tp 4]

2. I know enough. I have had several dealings with them in the past and would be glad to be rid of the memories.
 a. Are they really that bad? [sends to 3]

3. You have no idea kid. They do what they want, say what they want, whenever. They believe that they are completely untouchable. I've told you enough, now answer my question.
 a. I want to take them down. [sends to 4]

4. Take them down? Never a dull moment with you, is there? I suppose it could be done, but you will need help.
 a. Can you help me? [sends to 5]

5. No, I don't know nearly enough. I do know someone who could though, and he owes me a favor. Go to the slums, near the entrance will be a man standing alone. Go up to him and say, "Have you ever traveled to Lake Alto?", he will say that he has been once or twice, respond by saying, "I hear the fishing there is terrible." He will know that I sent you and he will answer any of your questions, except about himself. He is the only man to escape the Lords grasp and live, and he would like to keep that reputation.
 a. Thank you Arman. [ends conversation]
[/spoiler]

If you travel to the slums and find his friend, you can say:

[spoiler]
1. What do you want?
 a. Have you ever been to Somnus? [sends to 2]
 b. Have you ever traveled to Lake Alto? [sends to 3]
 c. Have you ever left the city? [sends to 2]

2. Yes, now please leave me alone.
 a. Leave. [ends conversation]

3. I've been once or twice.
 a. I hear the fishing there is terrible. [sends to 4]
 b. Have you ever been sailing? [sends to 2]
 c. Was it warm? [sends to 2]

4. Yes, it is, now what can I do for you, friend of Arman?
 a. I need some information on the Crime Lords. [sends to 5]

5. Of course you had to ask that. Blasted Arman, he knows I can't turn him down after all he's done.
 a. What has he done? [sends to 6]
 b. Yes, well I need that information. [sends to 7]

6. That is none of your business..
 a. Fine, but I need that information. [sends to 7]

7. Why do you need information on that pack of jackals anyway?
 a. I want to bring them down. [sends to 8]

8. Bring down the Crime Lords? That is suicide!
 a. I'm sure it won't be that hard. [sends to 9]

9. Not that hard! This is the Crime Lords we are talking about, they own everything the Cult hasn't already claimed! You would need an army!
 a. I understand the risks, will you just answer my questions already? [sends to 10]

10. Fine. What do you want to know?
 a. Tell me about Rekje. [sends to 11]
 b. Tell me about Shara. [sends to 13]
 c. Tell me about Herme. [sends to 15]
 d. Never mind [ends conversation, starts at 19 if you come back]

11. Rekje Dram... a more incompetent man has never walked these lands. Rekje has proclaimed himself the King of the Slums. He is a fearful and superstitious man, he never goes anywhere without a group of bodyguards. He was also never the brightest of the Lords, I'll never figure out why he chose to steal from the poor and homeless, I mean they are poor and homeless; what is there to steal? Â What else? Oh, Rekje has more hate for Shara then he fear for his life, he has fought with Shara for many years over their "territories".
 a. How should I take care of Rekje? [sends to 12]

12. Hmmm... the best way to dispose of him would be to use his hate. I would advise you to make the King of the Slums and the Silver Empress fight. I don't know how exactly, maybe fabricate some story of one of them moving in on the other's territory. They will rip each other to shreds, then when a winner emerges, you could kill them while they are still weak. Rekje is normally hanging around in the decrepit ruins that are known as the slums. You should find him right away, by his scent if nothing else.
 a. Tell me about Shara. [sends to 13] Â
 b. Tell me about Herme. [sends to 15]
 c. Never mind [ends conversation, starts at 19 if you come back]

13. Shara Grek, the Silver Empress... Bah, she should be called the Gilded Empress. She uses her beauty and quick tongue to con everyone around her, but on the inside she is nothing but cold, calculating metal. Shara never trusted me, so I know very little about her. The only true thing I can say is she hates Rekje with a passion stronger then any love in these lands. Be careful with this one boy, do not fall under her spell.
 a. How should I take care of Shara? [sends to 14]
 b. Tell me about Rekje. [sends to 11]

14. I suppose the best way to dispose of her would be to use her hate against herself. Try to force the King and the Empress to go to war with one another. I don't know how exactly, maybe fabricate some story of one of them moving in on the other's territory. They will rip each other to shreds, then when a winner emerges, you could kill them while they are still weak. Shara is usually lounging about in her palace, at least that is what she calls it, to the east just past the library.

15. Herme Gollis, the most sensible of the Lords. It is actually quite strange, Herme actually grew up far from Ravinale, yet he controls his Ravinale born merchants with the skill of D'Kah and his guards. You are in luck, in that I know more about him then the other lords. Though, this may be the strangest of all the plans; especially with those children of his.
 a. His children? [sends to 16]

16. Herme has two sons and a daughter, all are grown and all are rotten to the core. They cannot wait for their father to die so they can take over. Unfortunately, they won't have to wait long either. Herme has a deadly illness, his days are numbered, and that number is very small. His children are ten times worse then their father, Ravinale will be a much darker city if they gained that kind of power.
 a. So what should I do? [sends to 17]

17. First, go to Herme and ask for an audience with him. Tell him you are in need of money and have a plan, but you need his help. He will ask you a business question, if he likes your answer then he will listen to you. Come up with any plan you like, he will listen if he likes you. Then while he is gone, encourage his children to do something that will make Herme disinherit them. If I know Herme, he will rush back to get a hold on the situation and then send them out. If whatever you get them to do is bad enough, Herme will die very soon with no heir.
 a. Where can I find them? [sends to 18]

18. The Gollis family owns that building that overlooks the marketplace. Their entrance is on the library side of the building. They are are set of double doors and you should have no trouble walking right in. Herme relies on his reputation to keep him safe mostly, but he still keeps a bodyguard force that rivals most armies.
 a. Tell me about Rekje. [sends to 11]
 b. Tell me about Herme. [sends to 15]
 c. Never mind [ends conversation, starts at 19 if you come back]

19. Welcome back my friend! Is there anything else you want to know?
 a. Tell me about Rekje [sends to 11]
[/spoiler]

(Note: The next parts are divided into sections for my sanity; you can either do the Gollis family or the King vs. Empress first, but you can only follow the Empress' path or the King's path; doing both is not an option.)

THE SILVER EMPRESS

The Empress is in a ornate building (a little smaller then HQ) to the east of the library. It is a one floor building with two rooms, an entrance and the throne room. The Empress is in the center of the throne room, You can walk into the room without being stopped, and then you can talk to Shara:

[spoiler]
1. Welcome to my humble abode darling. How can I be of service to an attractive young man such as yourself?
 1. I wish to kill you. [sends to 2]
 2. I have a question for your illustriousness. [sends to 3]
 3. My lovely lady, I bring you word of Rekje Dram. [sends to 8 (Only available if you have talked to Arman's friend)]

2. Well, you certainly are an uneducated brute! I'm going to have to teach you some manners.
 a. [Defend yourself] (ends conversation, starts battle (Figure B))

3. Oh, and he has a quick tongue as well! What can I help you with sweetie?
 a. What do you know of Rekje Dram? [sends to 4]
 b. What is it that you actually do? [sends to 7]

4. Rekje Dram? A worse human has never existed. He is an incompetent rat of a man who deserves nothing but an end to his days.
 a. An end to his days? I would be delighted to take such a task. [sends to 5]
 b. Oh, sorry I brought it up. [ends conversation]

5. Wow, a lover and a fighter. Yes, I'm sure a man of your caliber could kill a rat like Rekje with ease, do it quickly and I may even reward you with a kiss.
 a. A kiss? I would prefer gold. [sends to 6]

6. Hahaha, a man after my own heart! Yes, you may have some of my glorious gold. And for being such a charming individual, I believe I will even help you in your conquest. I will send some men and clear out the area of some of his nasty little guards.
 a. Thank you my lady. I will go right now. [ends conversation (pushes Rekje into the building be hind him)]

7. An interest in business, what a well rounded little love you are. My interests are in the rich, if someone has a lot of money; I steal it. No mansion in the world has enough security to keep my merry men and me out. The trick is to not empty their coffers completely, if you take only enough, then they will never find out. I have become rich, and no one knows they have been stolen from.
 a. That's... interesting. [ends conversation]

8. Rekje Dram? What could such a wonderful person have to say about one so dreadful?
 a. Word has reached me that he robbed one of your mansions. [sends to 9]

9. [Shara's hypnotic stare is broken into a fit of rage] That low-down good for nothing snake! He is clearly violating the rules set down by our ancestors! I'm going after him, and this time Herme won't stop me, I'm going to kill him! [Shara marches out of her palace, nearly all of the guards following her out the door.]
 a. [Follow Shara] (ends conversation, cuts out to the slums)
[/spoiler]

(Note: this mission now divides into three paths: Kill the Empress, Find Rekje, and Not-so Innocent Bystander, each has an explanation before it begins.)

Kill the Empress

If you told the Empress that you wanted to fight her, you get into a fight with her and her bodyguards in the throne room (Figure B). For more info on the people in this fight, see CHARACTERS.

If you win the fight and if you go to Rekje in the slums, you get this dialogue:

[spoiler]
1. Are you the man who killed the Silver Empress?
 a. Yes, I am. [sends to 2]

2. Okay, what is in it for you?
 a. Your death as well. [sends to 3]

3. Wha-What? But- you killed my enemy, I thought you sided with me! No matter I will kill you with ease, Shara is, well was, nothing compared to me!
 a. [Defend yourself]
[/spoiler]

Then you fight with Rekje in the slums (Figure C). There are no other options since you killed the Empress.

Find Rekje

If you told the Empress you wanted to kill Rekje in her name, then she sends a few guards to go ahead of you and clear out the area a bit. Rekje is pushed back into a ruined building and if you find him, he says:

[spoiler]
1. Another Empress minion! I will kill all of the Empress's scum!
 a. [Defend yourself]
[/spoiler]

This fight (Figure D) is much easier then if you tell Rekje you want to fight him (there are less guards), but then when you win, you have to go back to the Empress. If you talk to her, she says:

[spoiler]
1. I heard you are the hero of the day, my little bug. You have my sincerest thanks for killing Rekje, and even a small reward.
 a. Thank you. [sends to 2 (gives 500 gold)]

2. Is there anything else I can help you with honey?
 a. I wish to kill you too. [sends to 3]

3. What? I thought you were a knight in shining armor! Now I find out you are no better than any of those brutes out there? I'm going to have to teach you some manners.
 a. [Defend yourself] (ends conversation, starts battle (Figure B))
[/spoiler]

This battle is the same as if you had told the Empress you wanted to kill her in the throne room. The only difference is the Rekje battle is much easier, and you get 500 gold.

Not-so Innocent Bystander

You get this path if you talked to Arman's friend and then told Shara that Rekje moved in on her territory. The background cuts out and reappears in the slums, you are on the side with Shara and Rekje facing each other in front of you, each with a few guards. Shara and Rekje start to fight:

[spoiler]
1. Shara: Rekje, I have heard word that you have broken the contract of our ancestors and stolen from my rich!
 a. [Continue] (sends to 2)

2. Rekje: Contract of our ancestors? Our fathers just decided who got what, nothing was written down. And what are you talking about?
 a. [Continue] (sends to 3)

3. Shara: It is called dramatic effect Rekje, maybe if you weren't sub-human you would know things like that. It could really distract from your rat-face and squeaky voice. And I am talking about you stealing from one of my mansions!
 a. [Continue] (sends to 4)

4. Rekje: Sub-human? Rat face? Squeaky voice? I still don't know what you are talking about, but if its a fight you want, its a fight you'll get!
  a. [Continue] (sends to 5)

5. [You watch as the two forces assault each other. The numbers are quickly whittled down until there are only a few stragglers left. You watch as Rekje and Shara fight with intense hate radiating from their bodies. When it seems like it could be a draw, Rekje's last guard falls and Shara outnumbers him three to one. Her two remaining guards grab Rekje and Shara stabs him before he can even say a word.]
 a. [Talk to Shara] (sends to 6)

6. [Shara is sweating and panting, trying to catch her breath, she wipes the sweat off her forehead and notices you] Well there you are love, did you enjoy the show?
 a. The show's not over yet. [sends to 7]

7. Why, what do you mean?
 a. Now its my turn to fight you. [sends to 8]

8. Fight me? Oh... I see. Rekje never invaded one of my mansions did he? Okay then, do your worst you two-faced little liar!
 a. [Defend yourself] (ends conversation, starts battle (Figure E))
[/spoiler]

(Note: Everything in the brackets: [], is just in the dialogue. It isn't a cut scene that shows all these things, its just explained and the player just has to use their imagination.)

This fight is very simple, there are only two guards and Shara. This is the easiest of the paths, there is only one really easy battle. Of course, it is the hardest path to find.

THE KING OF THE SLUMS

Rekje is standing in the street outside a ruined building, scanning the crowd in the slums south of the dock. The area is very shady looking (Figure F) and Rekje is standing in the shadows (represented by Al'al). If you talk to him he says:

[spoiler]
1. What do you want?
 1. I want to fight you. [sends to 2]
 2. I've got a question for you. [sends to 3]
 3. Mister Dram, I have terrible news of the Silver Empress. [sends to 8 (Only available if you have talked to Arman's friend)]

2. Fight me? I could use a little exercise...
 a. [Defend yourself] (ends conversation, starts battle (Figure C))

3. Do you? What do you want to know kid?
 a. What do you know of Shara Grek? [sends to 4]
 b. What is it that you actually do? [sends to 7]

4. Shara Grek? That cheap, soul-sucking monster! She dazzles men with her so-called beauty and then cuts the legs from under them. If it weren't for that Gollis then I would have killed her by now.
 a. You want her dead? I could do that. [sends to 5]
 b. Oh, sorry I brought it up. [ends conversation]

5. Really? Gollis would never know that I sent you, its a deal kid. You go kill her and you can have a position in my guard.
 a. A bodyguard? I would prefer gold. [sends to 6]

6. Ha, I like you kid; you think just like me. Okay, I'll pay you for killing her. I'll even help you. There is another way into her 'palace'. If you enter from the side, under the tarp, the guards won't have time to assemble and it you can kill her easy.
 a. Yes sir. I will go right now. [ends conversation (unlocks door under tarp)]

7. What I do? Its actually pretty smart. I steal from the poor, there isn't much to steal; but I will never get caught! I mean, its just poor people, who cares enough to fight me about them?
 a. That's... interesting. [ends conversation]

8. Shara? What do you know?
 a. I heard that she found a tax collector's chest in the slums and took it for herself. [sends to 9]

9. [Rekje starts twitching in a fit of rage] That evil two-faced medusa! I own everything in the slums, even if it is not poor! I'm going after her, and this time Gollis won't stop me, I'm going to kill her! [Rekje runs down the street, guards pour out of the building and follow him.]
 a. [Follow Rekje] (ends conversation, cuts out to the Shara's palace)
[/spoiler]

(Note: this mission now divides into three paths: Fight Rekje, A Different Angle, and Not-so Innocent Bystander, each has an explanation before it begins.)

Fight Rekje

If you told the King that you wanted to fight him, you get into a fight with him and his bodyguards in the street (Figure C), the bodyguards come out of the building behind Rekje. Â For more info on the people in the fight, see CHARACTERS.

If you win the fight and if you go to Shara in her palace, you get this dialogue:

[spoiler]
1. Are you the stunning young man who killed that King of the Slums?
 a. Yes, I am. [sends to 2]

2. Oh, thank you my little dove! You have saved me so much trouble, what can I do for you in return?
 a. Your death as well. [sends to 3]

3. Well it seems we have a vigilante. How cute! Okay little one, lets fight.
 a. [Defend yourself] (ends conversation
[/spoiler]

Then you get into a fight with Shara in the throne room (Figure B). There are no other options since you killed Rekje.

A Different Angle

If you told the King you wanted to kill Shara for him, then a door that was hidden under a tarp (if by some chance someone finds it earlier, it is locked) is open and you enter the building from the side. Shara is already looking at the door (hearing it squeak open before it completely opened) and says:

[spoiler]
1. Well, well, well. It seems we have an intruder, how adorable! I can't wait too see how he fights!
 a. [Defend yourself]
[/spoiler]

This fight (Figure G) is much easier then if you tell Shara you want to fight her (there are less guards), but then when you win, you have to go back to the King. If you talk to Rekje, he says:

[spoiler]
1. I heard you killed Shara. Good work. Take your reward and get out.
 a. Thank you. [sends to 2 (gives 500 gold)]

2. [He waits for you to leave] What else could you possibly want?
 a. I wish to kill you too. [sends to 3]

3. What? I thought you worked for me! Prepare for your death, you may have killed Shara, but there is no chance you will kill me!
 a. [Defend yourself] (ends conversation, starts battle (Figure C))
[/spoiler]

This battle is the same as if you had told the King you wanted to kill him in the slums. The only difference is the Empress battle is much easier, and you get 500 gold.

Not-so Innocent Bystander

You get this path if you talked to Arman's friend and then told Rekje that Shara moved in on his territory. The background cuts out and reappears in Shara's palace, you are by the entrance with Shara and Rekje facing each other in the center of the room, each with a few guards. Shara and Rekje start to fight:

[spoiler]
1. Rekje: Shara, I have been told that you have broken our agreement and robbed from the slums!
 a. [Continue] (sends to 2)

2. Shara: Me, rob from the poor? What use are the poor to me? I mean, they're poor.
 a. [Continue] (sends to 3)

3. Rekje: Don't try to pretend you don't know what I'm talking about, you manacle witch!

4. Shara: Manacle witch? You little rat! I don't care what Herme has to say, no one insults me and lives to tell the tale!
  a. [Continue] (sends to 5)

5. [You watch as the two forces assault each other. The numbers are quickly whittled down until there are only a few stragglers left. You watch as Rekje and Shara fight with intense hate radiating from their bodies. When it seems like it could be a draw, Shara's last guard dies and Rekje outnumbers her four to one. A guard charges at Shara, she turns and kills him with a spin. Rekje crouches behind her and stabs her in the back, she falls without a cry.]
 a. [Talk to Rekje] (sends to 6)

6. [Rekje is laughing crazily, when he realizes you are still there, he turns and stares at you.] Well what do you want?
 a. Its not over yet. [sends to 7]

7. What do you mean?
 a. Now its my turn to fight you. [sends to 8]

8. Fight me? I thought you were on my side! Fine, I have already beaten Shara, no one is strong enough to kill me now!
 a. [Defend yourself] (ends conversation, starts battle (Figure H))
[/spoiler]

(Note: Everything in the brackets: [], is just in the dialogue. It isn't a cut scene that shows all these things, its just explained and the player just has to use their imagination.)

This fight is very simple, there is only two guards and Rekje. This is the easiest of the paths, there is only one really easy battle. Of course, it is the hardest path to find.

THE GOLLIS FAMILY

This part of the quest begins by talking to Herme in the Gollis home, the way into the building is on the east side of the building overlooking the marketplace (Figure I). There are two floors: the ground floor (Figure J) and the second floor (Figure K).

Herme's children (Angela, Paul, and Louie) are on the ground floor. Angela (represented by Elisa) is in her room, while Paul (represented by Alvin [blue cape]) and Louie (represented by Andrew) are in the cafe. The guards have unique uniforms (see CHARACTERS), but are represented by academy guards and in the main entrance. Ravinale guards. There are two unique units (tax collectors) in the entrance hall, represented by thugs. If you talk to any of them, they tell you to leave them alone and keep moving.

There are more guards on the second floor, but so is Herme (represented by Vernon). If you talk to him, he says:

[spoiler]
1.Welcome to my home young stranger! How may I be of service to you?
 a. I want to fight you. (sends to 2)
 b. I just had a question. (sends to 4)
 c. I'm here to offer you a business proposition. (sends to 8 (Only available if you talked to Arman's friend))

2. I don't quite understand, you want to fight me?
 a. Yes, a merchant asked me to kill you. (sends to 3)

3. A merchant, really? Fine, I will make a deal with you. If you tell me which merchant told you to do this and you leave without any fighting, I will pay you a sum 1000 gold.
 a. 1000 gold? Sure! He is the merchant next to Garrin's Arch. (ends conversation (gives 1000 gold))
 b. No, you will never rob from the merchants again. (ends conversation (starts battle))

4. A question? What can I help you with?
 a. How did you get to be so powerful? (sends to 5)
 b. I wanted to know about your children. (sends to 6)
 c. I was wondering what was going to happen after you are gone. (sends to 7)

5. How did I get so powerful? You want me to reveal my secrets? Not likely young man. Anything else?
 a. I wanted to know about your children. (sends to 6)
 b. I was wondering what was going to happen after you are gone. (sends to 7)
 c. Never mind. (ends conversation)

6. My children? They are horrible, rotten little animals. I don't know how they ever got this bad. Angela is completely obsessed with herself, Paul has his temper problem, and Louie is an idiot, he doesn't understand anything about business, or anything else for that matter. They are terrible, none of them are worthy heirs. Do you want to know more, or can I get back to work?
 a. How did you get to be so powerful? (sends to 5)
 b. I was wondering what was going to happen after you are gone. (sends to 7)
 c. Nevermind. (ends conversation)

7. When I'm gone? I'm certain you have no right to know anything about that!
 a. Sorry... (ends conversation)

8. A business proposition? From one so young, you will have to excuse me for being doubtful.
 a. Then test me. (sends to 9)

9. Okay, any good business man must be good with math, so answe me this. There is a fruit that costs 3 gold, it comes in a pouch worth 1 gold. The merchant will allow you to trade the pouch for gold. If you have 45 gold, how many pieces of fruit can you buy?
 a. 15 fruit (sends to 10)
 b. 20 fruit (sends to 10)
 c. 22 fruit (sends to 11)
 d. 27 fruit (sends to 10)

10. What do you take me for, a fool? Get out of my sight.
 a. Looks like I've got to do it the hard way. (ends conversation (starts battle))

11. Correct! I like you, kid. What sort of scheme have you come up for me?
 a. Taking over the clans outside Ravinale. (sends to 12)
 b. Collecting from the merchants in Somnus. (sends to 12)
 c. Creating a gambling empire in the Academy. (sends to 12)

12. That sounds interesting... I'll leave at once. You will get your share on my return. Would you go tell my children I will be gone for a while. I'll just need to pack a few things before I go.
 a. No problem. (ends conversation)
[/spoiler]

(This next part is also divided, everything is pretty well labeled so it should be easy to follow)

You Cheapskate

If you took the 1000 gold from Heme, instead of fighting him or talking him into a business deal, then of course you become 1000 gold richer, but then the Gollis part of the mission is over. If you talk to anyone in the mansion, they tell you to leave them alone (except for Herme, but then the only available thing is: "I have a question for you"). If you go back to the merchant, he is gone. The Empress vs. King mission is still available if you haven't done it, but the secret rewards of actually doing this mission will always remain a mystery.

Fighting the Family

If you told Herme you wanted to fight him, and the lure of 1000 gold didn't catch you; then you get into a fight with him and his bodyguards (Figure L). If you beat the mission then the upstairs is completely empty (you killed them silly). Then when you go downstairs, as soon as the screen unblackens, a dialogue appears, saying:

[spoiler]
1. That's him! He's the one who killed Herme!
 a. [Defend yourself]
[/spoiler]

You then get into a fight (Figure M) with the main entrance guards and two tax collectors. If you win the battle then you are free to either leave or go further into the mansion and take care of Herme's kids.

(Note: The ability to leave is available because the next fight is very hard and you have the ability to go and train before continuing)

If you keep going into the mansion, you are stopped in the same manner as when you came downstairs. This time however, you are in a fight with all three children and a group of guards (Figure N) in the hallway. Then, if you win the battle with the kids: Huzzah! The Gollis family is no more.

Getting the Family to Fight

If you sent Herme on a business trip (doesn't matter which one, they all do the same thing) then the guards will still tell you to leave them alone, but the kids now have something to say. The next few parts shows the dialogue trees you can follow with each kid. You have to fully complete all three dialogues before anything will happen, what happens is explained later.

Talking to Angela:

[spoiler]
1. Stop staring at my glorious self and say what it is you need to say.
 a. Ummm... sure. Your father is going on a business trip for the next few weeks. (sends to 2)

2. Finally... It's been months since that old geezer left this place. This means I can go to Shara's party next week!
 a. Old geezer, isn't he your dad? (sends to 3)

3. Yeah, so? I'm just counting down the days until I take over this whole crime thing.
 a. You're taking over, not your brothers? (sends to 5)
 b. Crime thing? (sends to 4)

4. Yeah, I mean Herme's whole empire. I don't really know how it works, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't either. I figured out a long time ago that his guards do all the work while he sits around.
 a. You're taking over, not your brothers? (sends to 5)

5. What did you say? Of course I'll be the one to take over, I mean just look at me! My outfit screams crime boss.
 a. I don't think your dad cares about your outfit. (sends to 6)

6. Not care about outfits? Then what do you suggest I do?
 a. Even the odds a bit. Get your dad to disinherit them. (sends to 7)

7. Disinherit? I think I'll do more then that...
 a. Okay then. [Leave] (ends conversation)
[/spoiler]

Talking to Paul:

[spoiler]
1. You. What do you want?
 a. Your father is going on a business trip for the next few weeks, he told me to tell you. (sends to 2)

2. Good. It's been months since that weakling left this place. Now I can go have some fun beating those merchants up.
 a. Weakling, isn't he your father? (sends to 3)

3. What's your point? I'm waiting until I take over these puny merchants.
 a. You're taking over, not your brother or sister? (sends to 5)
 b. Puny merchants? (sends to 4)

4. Yeah that's what I said! You've got a hearing problem or are you just stupid? I go in and I boss those little merchants around 'till they give me all their gold.
 a. You're taking over, not your brother or sister? (sends to 5)

5. What did you say! Of course I'll be the one to take over, I mean just look at me! I'm the toughest guy in this whole place!
 a. I think your dad cares about more then toughness. (sends to 6)

6. More then being tough? What else is there?
 a. You could even the odds a bit. Get your dad to disinherit them. (sends to 7)

7. Disinherit? I'll do way more then that...
[/spoiler]

Talking to Louie:

[spoiler]
1. Do I know you? You look kinda familiar, but I'm not sure.
 a. No, you don't know me. Your father is going on a business trip for the next few weeks. (sends to 2)

2. Good, that means that moron won't make me go to no more lessons.
 a. Moron, isn't he your dad? (sends to 3)

3. Yeah? I'm just waiting for me to take over.
 a. You're taking over, not your brother and sister? (sends to 5)
 b. Take over? (sends to 4)

4. Yeah, I'm gonna take over this whole crime plan. I don't really know how the crime works, but those stupid merchants have to be dumber then me. Me and those guards are gonna take over this town.
 a. You're taking over, not your brother and sister? (sends to 5)

5. What did you mean? Dad'll pick I over her and him, I mean those guys are awful.
 a. I think it takes more then them just being awful for you to win. (sends to 6)

6. Then whats should I do?
 a. Even the odds a bit. Get your dad to disinherit them. (sends to 7)

7. Thanks, I'll do that.
[/spoiler]

Once you have completed the dialogues to the seventh one on all three kids, they tell you that they are busy and don't have time to talk. If you leave the area then come back, a dialogue from a guard appears as soon as you step in:

[spoiler]
1. Hey, you were talking with Herme earlier right? Help us out here, things are going crazy!
 a. What happened? (sends to 2)

2. Louie tried to paint a cult symbol on Paul's back, some stupid scheme to get Paul in trouble with Herme I guess. But then Paul caught Louie and said: "Perfect, now I have an excuse." Then he hit Louie with his mace! Louie is lying on the floor over there, we don't even know if he's still alive because Paul won't let us past.
 a. Where's Angela? (sends to 3)

3. I saw her in the cafe right before this started. She was at Paul's table, messing with the mugs.

4. [Paul appears right behind the guard talking to you] Angela was messing with my beer? Where is she? I'll kill her too! [Paul runs to Angela, pushing guards out of the way. You hear a scream and then a thud. Paul turns around with a grin on his face.] Ha! Now dad has to leave me in charge! Hahahah- ow. My stomach feels weird. [Paul falls on the floor, still clutching his stomach.]
 a. [Go to Paul] (sends to 5)

5. [Paul isn't breathing. The guard turns to you.] How are we going to explain this to Herme? All three of his children dead...
 a. [Leave] (ends conversation)
[/spoiler]

If you walk over to the cafe and click on any of the beer mugs, the following dialogue appears:

[spoiler]
1. You can sense Angela's emotions from the mugs clearly. She poisoned every single one to kill her brothers.
 a. [Leave] (end conversation)
[/spoiler]

If you leave the main area and go into the main entrance, you see Herme and some of his guards in the center of the room. if you click on Herme, he says:

[spoiler]
1. I have heard young man. Paul attacked Louie and Angela. Let me pass so I can punish my son.
 a. I'm sorry sir, but he is dead too. Angela did something to his drink. (sends to 2)

2. All three of my children are dead? Who will take over? What will I do?
 a. I'm so sorry. (sends to 3)

3. I need to thin- Owwww. My chest feels like its being stampeded by a herd of camel. [Herme's mouth opens and he makes a moaning sound] I can't breath!

4. [Herme falls on the floor, not breathing. The guards start yelling] Where's the healer! Where is he!
 a. [Leave] (ends conversation)
[/spoiler]

And so ends the Gollis age. If you ever come back to the mansion, it is completely empty. The bodies and the guards are all gone.

ENDINGS

Okay, basically there are two main endings. The first is simple, if the Gollis's paid you off, then the merchant was bumped off and that 1000 gold is your only reward. Â If you managed to get all of the Crime Lords and Herme's kids killed (in any way) then you can go back to the merchant, who has some things to say:

[spoiler]
1. Congratulations are in order my friend! I can't believe you killed them all so fast! I told all the merchants what you did and they each paid for your reward. The total comes to 2500 gold, and some weird thing Jerle said was very useful.
 a. Thank you. [Take gold and thing] (sends to 2)

2. [You grab the thing that the merchant Jerle said was useful, its a sphere shaped object in a bag. You reach into the bag and pull out an olive colored orb. You sense something odd about the orb, it almost seems to have a personality of its own.]
[/spoiler]

Congratulations! You reached the end! Sadly there is no cake, I ate it all, but you did get 2500 gold, all the spoils of those battles, and the Olive Orb (gives owner +10 Personality)! Now all that is left are all those boring figures and character info.

CHARACTERS

Rekje Dram (King of the Slums)
Health: 60
Speed: 3
Melee: Stab- deals 6 damage front, 9 damage side, and 15 backstab
Special: Backstab (Very low attack if used from front or sides (4), but if used from back it takes 20 health)
Appearance: A very shady, as a face like a rat. Wears black clothing with a sketch of a skull on the chest.

Shara Grek (Silver Empress)
Melee: Whip- deals 12 damage
Special: Throw Knife (Niven's 2nd attack)- deals 14 damage
Appearance: Very beautiful, the exact opposite of Rekje. Wears silver robe and a circlet with a gold nugget on the front.

Herme Gollis
Health: 29
Melee: Thrust- deals 5 damage
Special: Rest- Regains 6 health
Appearance: An old man, white hair and wrinkles. He doesn't have a cane, he uses a sword for that.

Angela Gollis
Health: 36
Melee: Bow- deals 8 damage
Special: Arrow Shower- skips one space then fires at the next two spaces long by three spaces wide (6 arrows total)- 6 damage each

Paul Gollis
Health: 54
Melee: Mace- deals 15 damage
Special: none

Louie Gollis
Health: 38
Speed: 5
Melee: Lunge- deals 9 damage
Special: Swipe- deals 7 damage in the 3 spaces directly in front of him.

King's Guard:
Health: 24
Melee: Slash- deals 11 damage
Special: Spear- skips one space, deals 11 damage
Appearance: Basically a Ravinale guard, but completely in black, with a skull on the shield, and a round helmet.

Empress's Guard:
Health: 24
Melee: Slash- deals 11 damage
Special: Spear- skips one space, deals 11 damage
Appearance: Basically a Ravinale guard, but completely in orange, with a crown on the shield, and a crown-like helmet

Gollis Guard:
Health: 30
Speed: 4
Melee: Hack- deals 12 damage
Special: Shield bash- deals 12 damage, Griffin can't counterattack (the shield blocks it)
Appearance: Basically a Ravinale guard, but completely in dark blue, with two crossing swords on the shield and no helmet, they all have short black hair.

Gollis Tax Collector
Speed: 1
Melee: Bash (they use their fists)- deals 21 damage
Special: none
Appearance: They are huge, muscular men with a dark blue shirt (no sleeves) and dark blue pants (sort of like parachute pants, but more like Genie in Disney's Aladdin). They have metal braces on their hands instead of weapons.

FIGURE A (Merchant who starts quest)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

FIGURE B (Fight with Empress in her Palace)
[spoiler]
The red cape captain is Shara, and the Ravinale guards are supposed to be Empress guards.
[/spoiler]

FIGURE C (Fight with King in the Slums)
[spoiler]Coming when the slums are available![/spoiler]

FIGURE D (Fight with Slightly Beaten Rekje)

FIGURE E (Fight with Empress in the Slums)

FIGURE F (Rekje in the Slums)

FIGURE G (Fight with Slightly Beaten Shara)
[spoiler]
The red cape captain is Shara, and the Ravinale guards are supposed to be Empress guards.
[/spoiler]

FIGURE H (Fight with Rekje at Empress's Palace)
[spoiler]
The bandits are Rekje's guards and the bandit chief is Rekje.
[/spoiler]

FIGURE I (Path to Gollis Home)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

FIGURE J (Gollis Home 1st Floor)
[spoiler]
The Ravinale guards and academy guards are all supposed to be Gollis guards, the Thugs are the tax collectors, Alvin (blue cape) is Paul, Andrew (red cape boy) is Louie, and Elisa (red cape girl) is Angela.
[/spoiler]

FIGURE K (Gollis Home 2nd Floor)
[spoiler]
Herme is replaced by the librarian and the Gollis guards by Ravinale guards.
[/spoiler]

FIGURE L (Fight with Herme)
[spoiler]
Herme is the red captain and the Gollis guards are Ravinale guards.
[/spoiler]

FIGURE M (Fight with Main Entrance Guards)
[spoiler]
The tax collectors have been replaced with golems and the Gollis guards for Ravinale guards.
[/spoiler]

FIGURE N (Fight with Herme's Children)
[spoiler]The bandit chief is Paul, the red captain is Louie, and the bandit archer is Angela. All the Gollis guards are exchanged for Ravinale guards.
[/spoiler]

[Afterword: Thanks again for sticking to the end, hope you liked it. If you can't answer the riddle:

You buy 15 pieces of fruit with the money you had.
Trade in the fifteen pouches for 5 more fruit.
Trade in three pouches for 1 more fruit.
And trade the remaining three pouches for 1 more fruit.
15 + 5 + 1 + 1 = 22]

Dayn

I really hope that this makes it into the game

Zhampir

An excellent example of the dialogue tree, good luck.^^

Zackirus

This is one of the best side- quests I have ever seen, keep up the good work Barzul!
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

WOOT!!! Awesome! Loved it! This is just my opinion but I think it would be kinda stupid not to include this as a sidequest. No offense Craig.

MikeW781

Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Steelfist

I believe you suggested this in the old forums. Either way, I love it. May I suggest having a weaker version of the King and the Empress; for after the battle between them. They probably tired themselves out and suffered wounds during the battle, after all.

Barzul

Quote from: Barzul on March 18, 2010, 04:58:12 PM
[Author's Note: This is an old mission I made on the old forums and it got some pretty good reviews. Now there are some different people and I'm wondering what you're opinion on it is and any changes that you think could be made. Thanks!]

Steelfist: ^. Yep I did think of this on the old forums, like a year or two ago. And I think I kept them the same health because honestly the king and the empress are more types to let their body guards duke it out while they just watch, then step in at the last minute, so really not much chance to get tired.

Thanks guys, looks like everyone's still all positive for it, I'm mostly hoping it gets in because I think it would give a lot of color to Ravinale. Not that it isn't already a very colorful city though.

Steelfist

Whoops; skipped the Authors note. But I remembered the mission. I liked it then, and I like it now. Plus, it incorporates an orb!

bugfartboy

Wait. What orb would that be?

Cypher

I think the dialogue needs a bit of tweaking, but apart from that, this is a very good mission.

@Buggy: There are so many orbs that haven't yet input into TSoG, it'd be hard to choose.

bugfartboy

Maybe it could be the one that implements vendetta. I mean, if you're killing ruthlessly...

Cypher

Good idea... goes along with the mission, alright.

Ertxiem

I (still) like the Ravinale Mafia idea.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

bugfartboy

I think it would be kinda wrong not to put this in. It has great structure and Barzul or whoever created it (pretty sure it was Barzul) put a lot of work into it. That's all I have to say.