News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

How much time is between TRPG2 and TSoG?

Started by SmartyPants, November 08, 2011, 12:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Based on how much Anya and Helena have aged, how much time do you think passed between TRPG2 and TSoG?

==>  

==>  

Zhampir

if the flesh- er I mean appendagers age like normal humans I'd say about 50 years. It also lines up with with the whole restructuring of the shadowling government (the most noticeable is allowing spriggats within the city walls and awkward attempts at being friendly towards humans as well as still having some crazy racists[speciesist?])

Dean_Lukas

How old do you think she was originally?

I think 40-60 is a good guess for range, but I'd lean towards the higher end.
That awkward moment when your student's gone evil and wants to destroy you.

Ertxiem

Around 50 years seems good to me.
By the way, Smarty, do you want to add a poll?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Dean_Lukas on November 11, 2011, 08:19:03 PMHow old do you think she was originally?
It has been awhile since I have played TRPG2, but I think the hero and his friends are about 13 or 14 during TRPG1 and about 18 at the end of TRPG2.

Quote from: Ertxiem on November 12, 2011, 07:07:25 AMBy the way, Smarty, do you want to add a poll?
You create a poll if you want to.  I didn't make one at the beggining because I was unsure what answers I would put in the poll.

ArtDrake

Yeah, Anya looks about 62-67 in the picture.

Tastidian

Definitely on the higher end around 60's as the general consensus of this topic flows.

Also I think it would be wise to keep the time flowing and continues the story. Unless of course Craig has a new exciting one for us.

Chocobo_Fan

Yes, Helena actually looks younger than Anya, which is odd because she was older in TRPG2, I believe (I assumed low twenties at the youngest).

I would assume 50 years. People do mention that it's been "decades" since the end of the Shadow War.

What's odd is that the shadowlings haven't aged at all, though, not even Festus, who seemed to be the oldest. (I assume that blue = middle-aged?) I guess they must have longer lifespans than we thought...

fourinone

My theory is that the Helena we see in Servants of God is actually the daughter of the one in the second game. If it had been about 50 years since the end of TRPG2, it wouldn't be unlikely for her to have a daughter in her late forties in this game, and for the daughter to bear the same name as that of her mother and her prized mercenary group. (I have not yet interacted with Helena in length, however, so I don't know if she later presents any contradicting information.)

Quote from: Chocobo_Fan on February 20, 2012, 06:31:36 AMWhat's odd is that the shadowlings haven't aged at all, though, not even Festus, who seemed to be the oldest. (I assume that blue = middle-aged?) I guess they must have longer lifespans than we thought...

I believe this is true. Malis mentions that "my father was called upon to serve in the Civil War when I was 49 years old. So Mom and I ran the family business while he was gone". This suggests that she was still considered young at 49, and is a lot older at the moment.

Chocobo_Fan

Quote from: fourinone on February 20, 2012, 12:34:46 PM
My theory is that the Helena we see in Servants of God is actually the daughter of the one in the second game. If it had been about 50 years since the end of TRPG2, it wouldn't be unlikely for her to have a daughter in her late forties in this game, and for the daughter to bear the same name as that of her mother and her prized mercenary group. (I have not yet interacted with Helena in length, however, so I don't know if she later presents any contradicting information.)

Contradicting information is later presented, according to the wiki. (Open the spoiler for details...)
[spoiler]
If you capture Hellion for Festus, he arranges for Helena to give you a discount on troops, as a friendly favor. Which means that that is the Helena he knew personally, from TRPG2.
[/spoiler]
So yes, that's not her daughter, that's actually her.

By the way, this is a bit of a tangent, but do you think it's possible for psychics to extend their lifespans? Many fantasy stories talk about ancient wizards preserving their life through magic, and though the Gift is a bit more grounded than most fantasy magic, I wonder if a similar thing is possible. We know that Nelis, at least, was thought to be immortal, implying she outlived even the long life of a shadowling, though it's anyone's guess how she actually did this.

Even if it is possible, though, it doesn't seem like the characters we know used it; the Nameless One and Anya both appear to have aged naturally.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Chocobo_Fan on February 20, 2012, 06:31:36 AMYes, Helena actually looks younger than Anya, which is odd because she was older in TRPG2, I believe (I assumed low twenties at the youngest).
In TRPG2, Anya was in her late teens, while Helena seems to be in her early twenties  That means that they are very close in age.  Helena may have aged better because her life as a mercenary kept her in better shape, then the Anya the teacher.

Quote from: Chocobo_Fan on February 20, 2012, 02:35:39 PMBy the way, this is a bit of a tangent, but do you think it's possible for psychics to extend their lifespans? Many fantasy stories talk about ancient wizards preserving their life through magic, and though the Gift is a bit more grounded than most fantasy magic, I wonder if a similar thing is possible. We know that Nelis, at least, was thought to be immortal, implying she outlived even the long life of a shadowling, though it's anyone's guess how she actually did this.
It makes sense that mind powers could prevent things like dementia, but I don't see how mind powers could prevent physical aging.

Chocobo_Fan

Quote from: SmartyPants on February 20, 2012, 04:14:24 PM
It makes sense that mind powers could prevent things like dementia, but I don't see how mind powers could prevent physical aging.

Perhaps. But we've seen psys do some pretty funky things in this setting, I wouldn't put it past them to be able to alter their biology to stall aging somehow. And we do know that shadowlings, a very psy-oriented race, have vastly extended lifespans...

(And we still don't know how Nelis got her immortality. Will that ever be answered? Perhaps if there's a sequel to the Bad Ending of TRPG2...)

SmartyPants

Quote from: Chocobo_Fan on February 20, 2012, 05:52:35 PM
Quote from: SmartyPants on February 20, 2012, 04:14:24 PMIt makes sense that mind powers could prevent things like dementia, but I don't see how mind powers could prevent physical aging.
Perhaps. But we've seen psys do some pretty funky things in this setting, I wouldn't put it past them to be able to alter their biology to stall aging somehow. And we do know that shadowlings, a very psy-oriented race, have vastly extended lifespans...(And we still don't know how Nelis got her immortality. Will that ever be answered?)
Shadowlings live longer because they have a much different biology then humans.  Like how sea turtles live longer then dogs.