News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Qudssi's Mental Resistance

Started by SmartyPants, September 28, 2011, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Why does Qudssi have mental resistance?

Maybe being uncommonly religious makes one resistant to mental attacks.  If faith helps one have mental resistance, then it would explain why some the Cult's Acolytes have mental resistance.

mezzoforte

ArtDrake

Perhaps, through his devoutness towards the Cult and rejection of the "dark ones," he maintains an effective mental shielding (not to be confused with Mind Shield); that is, he closes himself off utterly from what he thinks is outside contact.

I would imagine that Ali the Incorrigible, if battled for some reason, would also have mental resistance.

SmartyPants

I think Ali's ability to prevent scanning is different from mental resistance.  Arman is able to effectively block Malis's scanning, yet he doesn't have mental resistance.

ArtDrake

Okay, I see that.

Who else has mental resistance?

SmartyPants

Unless we get into TT units, I think only Qudssi and Acolytes have mental resistance.

ArtDrake

Hmm... could the Mental Resistance be a result of devout faith in Yawah? The idea of Yawah in the post-Jabbar hallucination was described as a grand structure that would protect, in an almost paternal way. Perhaps there's something to that.

That would imply, since the same resistance is granted to Qudssi (a believer) and the acolytes, that Yawah is not a conspiracy or a lie, that Cygnus and his acolytes actually believe in Yawah, and that their belief has a measurable effect. Interesting.

Dean_Lukas

I'd think it was the sincere faith that matters, though that's no guarantee Yawah does exist--just that they all think he does.
That awkward moment when your student's gone evil and wants to destroy you.

ArtDrake

I'm sort of leaning towards something more manifest; Anu believers didn't all have mental resistance, as far as I know.

SmartyPants

We haven't see any devote believers in Anu, so it hard to say if mental resistance is caused by faith in Yawah or faith in genreal.

ArtDrake

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 02, 2011, 04:43:47 PM
We haven't see any devote believers in Anu...

Yeah, physical resistance would have helped them a bit more.

Duskling

Quote from: Duckling on October 02, 2011, 11:26:54 PM
Yeah, physical resistance would have helped them a bit more.
Oh ho! I see what you did there! :D

Dean_Lukas

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 02, 2011, 04:43:47 PM
We haven't see any devote believers in Anu, so it hard to say if mental resistance is caused by faith in Yawah or faith in genreal.

Exactly. The only "believers in Anu" so far are Duvalier's parents, and we know how big an emphasis there is on those quote marks.
That awkward moment when your student's gone evil and wants to destroy you.

Zackirus

I personally believe that is comes from Wisdom. While the Acolytes are evil (or grossly misinformed) I believe that Cygnus has taught them to be wise. That is why Qudssi, with all his knowledge on man, helps him get mental resistance, he is naturally wise.

The reason I don't say intelligence is that nether Rahel or The Hero (if aptitude is high enough) get mental resistance...
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

Wisdom? So the Librarian, the Marid Chief, and the Nameless One all ought to have Mental Resistance? I find it an interesting idea, but I'm still leaning towards it having to do with faith, or faith in Yawah in particular.