News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics single player campaign

Started by CraigStern, July 07, 2012, 03:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Ah, I'll fix the two Shadowhands issue. Thanks!

Quote from: SmartyPants on December 16, 2012, 06:43:07 PM*When Shadowhand leaps on a tree, she fuses with it.

Er, is this something new? Or are you just referring to the fact that the game displays her at the same height regardless of whether she is on top of an object?

SmartyPants

It is nothing new.  I just decided to mention it when I have a picture to show what I was talking about.

Tactless

I think bracketed actions should be changed, honestly. Even if you're planning to incorporate sprite work in their place later on, the demo is THE first thing the potential Kickstarter investor will base their opinions on, so the placeholder needs to be adequate enough for them to not be disturbed by.

For example, in the first battle, instead of:

[Grant, the platoon's cryokineticist, leans into the room.]

Have Grant's character spawn on the map.

Instead of:

[She touches her fingers to her forehead, eyes closed in concentration. After a moment, she speaks.]

...no. We will retake the weapons depot ourselves.

[She smiles.] Let us see what stuff you are made of, Emma Strider!

Have the box say:

Hm... No. We will retake the weapons depot ourselves.

(Next box)

Heh. Let's see what stuff you're made of, Emma Strider!

The "Hm..." is all you need for contemplation, and the "Heh.", for a smile.

Second qualm: can you program the map such that when the mouse pointer goes to the edge, the map moves with it?

Third qualm: you need to link the current manual to the Kickstarter page, placed right before the demo!

Ertxiem

Welcome to the forums, Tactless. Read the rules, play the games and enjoy your stay.

Edit: I like the bracketed actions. It gives the feeling of a theatrical script (and the extra info it gives, helps me being involved on what's going on).
Regarding the division of the text in more boxes may give a different rhythm to the plot. It can be good at the cost of more clicks.
Scrolling when placing the mouse at the edge of the maps is a good idea.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Thanks for the suggestions, Tactless; I'll link the manual right now!

I intend to add in edge-of-screen panning as an option in a future build; personally, I kind of hate it, but obviously YMMV. ;)

Bracketed descriptions aren't placeholders--they're actually something I've deliberately used in previous games. I'm rather fond of them, as they let me add more writerly detail to scenes than you normally see in RPGs.

SmartyPants

I too like the bracketed actions.  It makes the game seem more like a literary work and game, instead of a game with some storytelling.  The bracket actions also shows characters' emotions and personalities that can't be shown with just dialogue.

Also, it would be nice if you would level up some characters for the second demo battle.  The characters from the weapon depot battle aren't nearly as useful as newly introduced characters who start at a much higher level.

The Kickstarter updates are slowing down.  Maybe you could have an update that further describes more of the steampunk and fantasy elements to those unfamiliar with Telepath RPG series.  Something like a quick discription of shadowlings, spriggats, golems, lizardmen, and/or spirits.

SmartyPants

Does the inclusion of a dialog trees having bearing on what can happen in the campaign? (i.e. can choices determine what teammates one gets or battles one fights?)

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on January 07, 2013, 09:01:32 PM
Does the inclusion of a dialog trees having bearing on what can happen in the campaign? (i.e. can choices determine what teammates one gets or battles one fights?)

The engine supports that; whether or not I'll be taking advantage of it remains to be seen. ;)

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on January 07, 2013, 10:30:34 PM
The engine supports that; whether or not I'll be taking advantage of it remains to be seen. ;)
Does this mean that the creators of custom campaigns will be able to take advantage of branching dialogue?

ArtDrake

CraigStern

Yes, branching dialog is supported. And because you can add scripts to dialog with things like character recruitment, character death, and progression to various other scenes, you can effectively fork the game in a ton different ways via branching dialog. (Give the player a choice of two or more characters to recruit; a choice of multiple routes to take, each with its own associated battles; and so on.)

SmartyPants

For better storytelling in cutscenes, would it be possible to be able to pick between different movement speeds?  For example: Having a character run into a room will allow character to show more urgency compared to another character moving at normal walking speed.

CraigStern

He has a reputation as a fearless fighter, so much so that he is rumored to be a bit mad.