News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ship Tiles

Started by SmartyPants, June 10, 2013, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think ship tiles would be useful for storytelling in an island setting?

Definitely
4 (40%)
Yes
6 (60%)
Maybe
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Hell No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

SmartyPants

I have been trying to create my own campaign by using the Dundar Archipelago as a setting.  The only interesting way I can think of having my characters travel between islands is to "Get On The Boat".  This is difficult to do when my available tiles don't allow me to create ships.

I been trying to find good ship tiles to use for my campaign, so if you find any free ones, then I would appreciate it if you send me a link.

SmartyPants

Fire Emblem has already come up with a some fun scenarios where they use ship tiles:
*Escape the enemy army by fighting through a port and onto a ship
*Have their ship attacked by flying enemies (shadowlings and spriggats would be a good substitute)
*Pirates or the Navy attempt to board the player's ship

Sythion

Where are the first two images from?
Hunger is the best spice.

SmartyPants

They are also images from fire emblem.  One is only allowed to attach up to four images per post, so I had to spread the photos over two posts.

I named each image after the mission in which it occurs.  That means "A Guiding Wind.png" is an image from a fire emblem chapter called "A Guiding Wind".

JeenLeen

It'd definitely be helpful in any ship or port-related adventures.  I could see using wooden floor tiles to represent it if ship tiles never get made, though of course it wouldn't look as good.

SmartyPants

The "Town" tile group has a bunch of wood plank floors and wooden stairways that can easily be used to look like a the deck of a ship.  However, without wooden rails to outline the sides of the ship, it ended up looking like a funny shaped dock.  The "Castle" tile group has stone railways, but they can only be used with stone or carpet floors.  Also, extra tiles are need to make the forward part of the ship come to a point.

SmartyPants

In a RPG that you might be familiar with, the Hero is sent to rescue a wounded general.  In order to get to the general, the Hero pilot a boat to a island in a large lake.  That means the Hero must first commandeer a boat by fighting off the flying enemies that surround it.  Then the Hero might get attacked by the flying enemies, while he is away from land.

Ertxiem

Smarty: why don't you make some tiles and post them here?
(Should the place of the water be transparent in the png files?)
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Quote from: Ertxiem on June 13, 2013, 06:32:27 PM(Should the place of the water be transparent in the png files?)

Nope. Currently, tiles don't layer in the Telepath Tactics engine.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Ertxiem on June 13, 2013, 06:32:27 PMSmarty: why don't you make some tiles and post them here?
(Should the place of the water be transparent in the png files?)
I already tried that in order to round off the bow of the ship, but the transparent water doesn't show up on the map editor.

Quote from: CraigStern on June 13, 2013, 07:04:43 PMNope. Currently, tiles don't layer in the Telepath Tactics engine.
Is there a better alternative that I can easily do?

There is already tiles that have the railing design that I need for the ship, yet I can't use them because the tiles are for stone structures instead of wooden ones.

SmartyPants

Here is some edited tiles that helped me a little with ship building:

Tiles 37 and 39 I treated like  water, while 38 and 40 I treat like land.

CraigStern

Good start! You'll probably end up needing a fifth and sixth tile so you can do railings. ;)

Ertxiem

It's indeed a nice start. And, funny thing, I was also thinking about the railings.

I found a couple of top view images of caravels: one from a board game and the other from a different game (I think...).
I hope that these images may be helpful to inspire you in your drawings of the curvature of the deck.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

And if you want something to model railings after, check this out.

SmartyPants

I can't do the wooden railing myself.  I have a hard enough time trying to use GIMP to make the ship come to a natural curve, while still having the ship's bow come to a point.