News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Shadowling Healer Teammate

Started by SmartyPants, March 19, 2010, 09:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want a Shadowling Healer Teammate?

Definitely
6 (28.6%)
Yes
3 (14.3%)
Maybe
6 (28.6%)
No
4 (19%)
Hell No
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

SmartyPants

In TRPG2, the shadowlings are the most desired teammates.  It is very disappointing that the only shadowling teammate we will see in TSoG is Malis.  I among others would like to see a Festus-style Shadowling Healer in the People's Resistance of Ravinale.

Zhampir

but with the inclusion of long shield and big shield, I think Set gets the job done quite well.

KZ

Usually I am all up for it, but here it seems that there is focus on only one healer, and that is Set. I personally wouldn't mind having an extra Shadowling Healer, but I don't really see how he or she will be introduced at the moment, given that Craig has pretty much deciced on the remaining teammates, and said numerous times of really differentiating between the niches for each teammate- this position will overlap too much with Set's.

Also, who are the others you mention in your statement?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 19, 2010, 09:19:35 PM
but with the inclusion of long shield and big shield, I think Set gets the job done quite well.
But the Shadowling Healer has greater speed, the power to shadowport, and the ability to attack.

Quote from: KZ on March 19, 2010, 09:21:39 PM
Usually I am all up for it, but here it seems that there is focus on only one healer, and that is Set. I personally wouldn't mind having an extra Shadowling Healer, but I don't really see how he or she will be introduced at the moment, given that Craig has pretty much deciced on the remaining teammates, and said numerous times of really differentiating between the niches for each teammate- this position will overlap too much with Set's.
Maybe in Somnus, we can be stuck with a choice between a Spriggat or a Shadowling.

KZ

I was thinking about that as well. I think the main issue might be with Craig wishing to make more in-depth characters, and that means spending quite a lot of time in coming up with good, believable and unique dialogue for a new teammate: from the look of things,  I am not sure if Craig would want to do that now.

Although Shadowling Healer has those differences, they are in the same niche with Set (they have 3 attacks in common, out of max of 6, and their purpose is the same).
Again, I wouldn't mind having another healer in the game, and one who can, for once, attack! But something tells me that might be difficult to achieve.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 19, 2010, 09:19:35 PM
In a poll, people prefer the Shadowling Healer (Festus) over the Human Psy Healer (Anya).  So that means most people may prefer the Shadowling Healer Teammate over Set.
It also may be useful to have both.

Zackirus

It does not mean that, Set has two attacks which Anya does not have, and those two attacks, if I say so myself, are actually quite good. In TSoG, I woul actually like having set because when my team needs more HP, or is in defence mode (in some of my own battles) and they needs something to stop the Ravinville Swordsmen from attacking us, Set has solid state shield, things that Anya never had.

It mght be usefuel if you are in a sitiuation where you require 2-3 healers (main included)
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on March 20, 2010, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: im2smart4uIn a poll, people prefer the Shadowling Healer (Festus) over the Human Psy Healer (Anya).  So that means most people may prefer the Shadowling Healer Teammate over Set.
It also may be useful to have both.

It does not mean that, Set has two attacks which Anya does not have, and those two attacks, if I say so myself, are actually quite good. In TSoG, I woul actually like having set because when my team needs more HP, or is in defence mode (in some of my own battles) and they needs something to stop the Ravinville Swordsmen from attacking us, Set has solid state shield, things that Anya never had.

It mght be usefuel if you are in a sitiuation where you require 2-3 healers (main included)
You forgot to mention that the new Shadowling Healer has two more attacks then Festus.  Both attacks I found came very handy in TPA2.

Zackirus

I was talking in a matter or healing/defending though, though shadowport was a nice touch in the end :P
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

I might include one. So far, I've limited it to just one healer partly to give the player a good tactical reason to specialize in shields.

KZ

Well, Craig, if the second healer appears several missions into the game, then I think by that point the player would've applied all the different shields, and a second healer would come in very handy, giving the rise in the difficulty curve I suspect one healer may not be enough to win all battles. It would be nice to have one, methinks.
Welcome to the forums!

torugo

well it would be dissapointing to me because i like the whole one of a kind character chapter 3 is going with
mock the pheonix you will burn

Frosty

BUT if a shadowling healer comes in, people might call Set obsolete. Look here to see why I would think that.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

KZ

Ah, but we do have a new situation with Set: he has 3 more shields than a Shadowling healer, and at least 2 of them are highely useful- one that boosts hp in battle, I think that is one of the most commonly used ones, at least for me, then there is a very useful Solid State Shield which can, sometimes, make all the difference in battle. Plus, the players will have Set from the outset and discover all those nice uses way before a Shadowling Healer can truly usurp his place. I believe that at the point when a 2nd healer can be introduced into the game, given the difficulty curve, I think players would wish to keep both healers on-battle.
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on March 19, 2010, 09:17:39 PM
In TRPG2, the shadowlings are the most desired teammates.  It is very disappointing that the only shadowling teammate we will see in TSoG is Malis.  I among others would like to see a Festus-style Shadowling Healer in the People's Resistance of Ravinale.