News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Anya or Festus

Started by SmartyPants, March 19, 2010, 09:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the better healer?

Anya
Festus

Presentiment

Quote from: Frosty on March 26, 2010, 04:07:04 PM
Torugo, ask whoever you want, Festus and Anya deal/heal the same damage IF their psy power/defense is the same. He barely has any more HP if their psy defense is the same too.

Although it would seem that way from base stats, Festus can be utilized far more often since he has greater mobility. If you put Anya in the front, she blockades stronger attackers and can't retreat effectively.

Frosty

Quote from: torugo on March 27, 2010, 12:05:37 PM
frosty what zackirus is saying is that it is pointless to make her fight  because she is weak and if you send her in to a fight then it is highly likely she will die
You usually up her defense a lot, and if you up her power, you would be surpsied.
Quote from: Presentiment on March 27, 2010, 02:06:02 PM
Quote from: Frosty on March 26, 2010, 04:07:04 PM
Torugo, ask whoever you want, Festus and Anya deal/heal the same damage IF their psy power/defense is the same. He barely has any more HP if their psy defense is the same too.

Although it would seem that way from base stats, Festus can be utilized far more often since he has greater mobility. If you put Anya in the front, she blockades stronger attackers and can't retreat effectively.
But she can retreat effectivley. Would you give the hero the Green orb just because he can't retreat? And why would you put Anya on the frontlines except against Nelis, Tastidian, or Energy Golems?

I get this feeling that the other person that choose Anya was just joking around, and I am the only one that really prefers her over Festus.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Presentiment

Yes, but it pays off more to upgrade Festus. He'll be attacking far more thanks to his mobility, and on any tight map (such as the Mechanics battle with the bridge in center), Anya will be rendered obsolete as an attacker since powerhouses such as the swordsmen and psy assassins will be better used at close range.

Frosty

So use her as a healer in that battle.

Presentiment

And still you have not pointed out how she is better than Festus.

Frosty

Because
A) Festus can reach the same area, but Anya can reach that area safely
B) Anya has light resistance, which is useful in the last battles

KZ

But surely Festus, on most occaisons expect when Anya needs Long Shield, can reach the area safely as well: especially if there is something like a water obstacle or a small stone in the way- think of the Mechanics battles: Festus can retreat into the safety of the water and use Mind Shield, rather than Anya using Long Shield (saves PsP in battle) and he is fast enough to sometimes be used to go around a ranged unit and find a position from which the said ranged unit cannot attack him. I do admit though that there are occaisons when Anya can heal folks up-front without exposing herself much, unlike the need to bring Festus closer to the battle (via using Big Shield) in order to effectively heal eveyone.

Yes, Anya is useful in the last two battles, but as I said on the previous page, with proper tactics it's quite easy to keep a healer out of harm's way: there is only Tastidian dealing light attacks, and 3 (I think, or is it 4?) energy golems in the Nelis battle, plus Nelis herself. But in Tastidian's battle, it's much harder to avoid Shadowlings with Shadow attacks- Tastidian, on the other hand, stays back and, if properly attacked, may not move at all during the entire battle! Nelis can be easily disracted, and simply avoiding finishing up a healer on the line-of-sight of an energy golem is actually much easier done with Festus, as he can float over the chasms and he is faster too- that can also help him avoid Nelis  much more easily. So, it's not such a big drawback for Festus to not have Light Resistance.

However, respect for sticking with Anya and trying to logically argument through the case against the majority ;)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

torugo

Quote from: Frosty on March 28, 2010, 08:32:03 AM
Because
A) Festus can reach the same area, but Anya can reach that area safely
B) Anya has light resistance, which is useful in the last battles
yeah anya has light resistance that is only useful in two different battles
mock the pheonix you will burn

Frosty

Torugo, read it again. I said that. But I was wrong. Energy Golems also use light. Anya can reach an ally a long way from an enemy, but that doesn't matter for energy golems. The light resistance does, though.

KZ, with Anya I can easily avoid the shadowlings and shadow guardians. Probably 'cause I actually know how to use her, unlike seemingly everyone else.

KZ

Quote from: Frosty on March 29, 2010, 04:02:22 PM
unlike seemingly everyone else.
C'mon Frosty, that's uncalled for- Presentiment is no more, no one's about to make rash or provocative judgements on the matter.

For the sake of the argument, having beta tested (and therefore played battles many times over) TRPG2 and both TPA projects, as well as creating and testing maps just for the sake of it, I also think I am not too bad at positioning my units- and I can objectively say that a flying unit with higher speed is easier to move around and avoid enemies with than a non-flying unit with less speed. What I think I can say, and I am sure a few others will agree, is that I do have respect for your choice of sticking with Anya and following through with, what I believe to be, a more difficult battle-plan from tactical point of view.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Frosty

Sorry, I posted that BEFORE I read that Presintiment was banned. And by all this reasoning, I see why peolpe think Festus is better. I've justed used Anya more, so I'm more used to using her and therefore better with her and prefer her. This whole topic is just a big old question. Who do you use more? Anya or Festus? Me, its Anya. Most people, its Festus. Plus, why are we even arguing it? I can understand, no one else is going to be in the same mindset as me, and I will always prefer Anya. I'm just like that. Call me stubborn. But I know a lost battle when I see one.

KZ

To each their own. ;)
But still, it was interesting to see what objective advantages and disadvatanges the two healers had. In this case it's not hard to compare the two, and surely it's pure subjective preference for one small factor over others (e.g. playing method, desire to up the difficulty) that affects the selection of the healer. At least this discussion showed what the objective cons and pros are, as well as what the debatable points are.
Welcome to the forums!

MikeW781

one very important thing we have not mentioned yet is that Festus' Big Shield heals himself
the importance: Anya IS easier to kill, because on a first turn where I attack with all units, Festus/Anya will get hurt. Festus can heal everybody and himself, while Anya can only recover health if she is healed by Jack/Main, a complete waste of a move
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Dorgon 5000

Quote from: mikew781 on April 12, 2010, 06:28:58 PM
one very important thing we have not mentioned yet is that Festus' Big Shield heals himself
the importance: Anya IS easier to kill, because on a first turn where I attack with all units, Festus/Anya will get hurt. Festus can heal everybody and himself, while Anya can only recover health if she is healed by Jack/Main, a complete waste of a move

AND she canĀ“t fly AND she is slower

Tinkerbell

Let me point this out:

Festus has everything Anya has and much more in terms of mobility. Therefore all your arguments about getting her out of the way are moot because you can be sure Festus will be better in that position.

The point is arguing Anya vs. Festus, and Festus trumps her in mobility and therefore damage, has slightly more HP, and a more useful resistance, and he has Big Shield, which can potentially heal three times more people than Anya's Long Shield.