News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Well, it would be a bit strange to put NaN to the bird stat, and I did use simplified logic there to give some place-holding number. Still not sure what that number should be, if anything?

From another thread, the suggestion arose to call the bird "Oris", so I'll call it by its temporary name, for now.

Oris

Health: 28

Speed: NaN

Attack: Melee

Resistance: none

How about these stats, now?
And I guess the actual pet bird for Gelf can be equipped with extra attacks, if need be.

I don't mind the frog, though the name sounds a tad silly to me (though I believe that was the orginal intent?).

Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Bromtaghon

I think 51 is the highest number it could possibly need, can anyone else find anything higher?
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

MikeW781

Will the health be influenced by the players level?
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Bromtaghon

For the enemy- probably not.  For the summon- Oris will probably get stronger as Gelf (not Duvalier) levels.

KZ

Quote from: Bromtaghon on July 04, 2010, 01:51:12 PM
For the enemy- probably not.  For the summon- Oris will probably get stronger as Gelf (not Duvalier) levels.
Correct, that's the idea. The attack stats will level with Gelf Psy Attack, and hp will level with Gelf Psy Defense.

However, for the enemy the stats will be fixed. I think that as an enemy unit, Oris would be quite a major annoyance to have, but will add an extra dimension and compensate for the relatively low speed of the rest of the enemy units and provide an additional factor for a player to worry about (imagine a map with 10 Orises? What a nightmare!).
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Anom

In my opinion, Oris should be used as a scapegoat. This would inspire more tactics in overall game play. Say that most of your teammates are low on health and the Main or Set needs to heal them. However, by gathering everyone together, the player risks getting attacked or surrounded by enemies. Oris or multiple Orises (?) could lure enemies away, giving your teammates enough time to escape. After that, Oris could either escape or possibly be recalled by Gelf.

My main reason that Oris should be used for this purpose is Oris just seems like a faster assassin with the proposed stats above. With a high enough attack damage, it could probably single-handedly defeat multiple enemies. It would just be overkill with Oris and Arman. Where would the strategy of the game lie in then? In addition, why does Oris have more health than a bandit? It just seems rather awkward that a bird has more health than a man (unless Oris is some huge predator). Nevertheless, I like the idea.

algebra15

Has the idea of an enemy with damage reflection been discussed? If not, I was thinking something like:

Shadow Golem

Health: 55
Speed: 1
Attack: Melee (melee, 14 damage)
Counter: 50% damage reflection.
Resistance: Shadow
Description: If you try to hit a shadow, you'll just hurt yourself.

Placement: Possibly the result of  the combined efforts of the mechanics and the Shadowlings, could this be used for a sentry, but tank unit rather than the simple Shadowling?
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

KZ

Welcome to the fourms, Anon!

I just would like to point out that the stats above are for the enemy Oris- which will have the ability to attack anyone on the map (unless the unit is completely surrounded by obstacles) and therefore give the enemy units an equivalent of Arman on the map. Thus, the player will have to deal with effectively an omnipresent enemy, and it will be quite a new tactical challenge, methinks. (I honestly think that the pain required to re-work the code for max speed limit will well be worth the final effect, as there is no enemy that presents the same type danger to the player.)

Now, the Gelf's Oris would have a much lower stats for health, for starters (say 20), and it will have range 10, with melee attack (which will also be rather weak, around 5-7), so it will not be able to kill many enemies, but could be used to finish off a major threat (e.g. Dark Spriggat with 3 health or a boss with Vendetta/Vengeance and very low health). Thus, it's a much more niche teammate than Arman, and a tad less versatile. However, the stats will scale with Gelf stats, so, given how the enemis will have very high health and high damage, it will be possible to bring Oris to a decent level in order to withstand enemy counterattack.
Welcome to the forums!

Zhampir

Ah-har ye matey I do believe that's what I was trying to accomplish with my Teleporting Psychopath. Although I like your bird (who has a Latin name for a mouth) idea much better. Besides mine was more of a joke to try to get people to think outside of the whole 3 speed thing (seemed that too much emphasis was being placed on that, if we're trying to separate all the enemies into separate niches then by giving the majority of them the same speed fails that goal.)

SmartyPants

I don't like teleporting (or infinite steps), because it removes strategy from a game based on strategy.  No matter how you move your characters, the enemy will appear behind them.  It will be a game of trading hits.

Zackirus

Quote from: algebra15 on July 05, 2010, 06:51:24 PM
Placement: Possibly the result of  the combined efforts of the mechanics and the Shadowlings, could this be used for a sentry, but tank unit rather than the simple Shadowling?

The overall enemy concept I am okay with it is just the back story of it. Why would the Mechanics care about Shadowling's affairs and vise versa. I just don't see it working together

Quote from: Zhampir on July 06, 2010, 11:07:53 PM
Ah-har ye matey I do believe that's what I was trying to accomplish with my Teleporting Psychopath. Although I like your bird (who has a Latin name for a mouth) idea much better. Besides mine was more of a joke to try to get people to think outside of the whole 3 speed thing (seemed that too much emphasis was being placed on that, if we're trying to separate all the enemies into separate niches then by giving the majority of them the same speed fails that goal.)

I also agree with im2smart4u that it does remove strategies but I do like the idea of more creatures with high speed
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

algebra15

QuoteWhy would the Mechanics care about Shadowling's affairs and vise versa

For money, of course.
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

Bromtaghon

Quote from: im2smart4u on July 07, 2010, 03:19:46 PM
I don't like teleporting (or infinite steps), because it removes strategy from a game based on strategy.  No matter how you move your characters, the enemy will appear behind them.  It will be a game of trading hits.

H = Hero
X = Wall
O = Oris
E = Empty

XOE
XHE
XXX

No matter where Oris moves, the Hero can hit it without exposing his back.

Zackirus

Loyalist Commander

Health: 70
Speed: 3
Attack: Mind Blast (Mental, Range 1, 18 damage), Shadow Blast (Mental, Range 2, 20 Damage), Dark Vortex (Mental, Ranage 3x3, Damage 20)
Counter: None
Resistance: Shadow
Description: Light Blue Shadowlings with two horns and the Loyalist Mask (Mask that only covers one eye)

These are the leaders of the Loyalists. They are old Shadowling Guardians which survived the orginal Shadow Wars. This idea was spawned from the Shadowling Guardian forum.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

Quote from: Bromtaghon on July 09, 2010, 04:42:01 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on July 07, 2010, 03:19:46 PM

H = Hero
X = Wall
O = Oris
E = Empty

XOE
XHE
XXX

No matter where Oris moves, the Hero can hit it without exposing his back.
So your solution to fighting Orises is to have every teammate always have their backs to rocks or walls?  That is impossible to do in almost fights unless keep your charcters at the borders the whole time.  Infinate steps enemies will limit the teammates movements to nothing or it will be a game trading attacks.