News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on October 10, 2010, 09:06:25 PM
Well because they have(had) Helena, who was by far an more inventive upgrader (seeing as she made Flint more powerful then he was) than any regular person in the mechanics. Also, don't you think if they are going to build a fire breathing golem don't you think they would need to golem to resistant to fire and be stronger than its stone counterpart.
A)Both Helena and Flint were Mechanics during the Shadow War.
B)She upgraded Flint with Mechanic parts, so that means that the Mechanics already built Steam Engines, Capacitors, and Flame Thrower Attachments for certain golems.
C)The Mechanics got a military contract from the Ravinale Guard, so that means that the Mechanics are better or equal to the Helenites.

The Flame Golem would have the same strength and health as a Stone Golem, because the Flame Golem is a Stone Golem with an attachment.
Think of the Stone Golem as M4 Sherman tank.  Even if you add a flame thrower, bulldozer blade, or rocket launcher to the M1 Sherman, it will still be a M1 Sherman.
If you add a Steam Engine, Capacitor, Spin Saw, or Flame Thrower to a Stone Golem, then you still have a Stone Golem.

bugfartboy

That's why the Flame Golem should have a uniqueish attack to separate it from Flint. I vote fire fist.

Chrono

I second that. +yay
By the way buggy, where'd your mirror troops go? Or did you abandon that idea already?
[spoiler=Infinity, explained in 3 different words]

[/spoiler]

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on October 10, 2010, 10:32:08 PM
B)She upgraded Flint with Mechanic parts, so that means that the Mechanics already built Steam Engines, Capacitors, and Flame Thrower Attachments for certain golems.
I'd say the Helenites are equal to or better than the Mechanics, as Helena was a Mechanic, so she knows some/most/maybe all of their techniques and whatnot, and the Ravinale guard member who hired the Mechanics said he regretted it and should have hired the Helenites.

ArtDrake

@ Duskling 2 pages ago

When talking of Stone Golems, or talking near them, or in the case of Bronze Golems, you hear stone grinding, or bronze parts spinning inside. As you can see from the Golem Workshop in TRPG2, these are very complicated. It's not very clearly defined what a War Engine is, and until someone can find a legitimate source on what a war engine is, it's open to interpretation. It wouldn't have to be put together well, and it's obvious this isn't an optimal design of the War Engine, as it rusts every turn, so the technology is about the same level as Golems. The rusting is due a lack of oil on the battlefield, and disuse of the attack machinery on any given turn. I didn't want the enemy to have to be placed anywhere in particular for it to work, but as there has been intense pressure for the vestigial speed 5 (I keep insisting that it wouldn't be used as actual speed, but merely a way to keep speed up at 4 for a turn, and thus wouldn't violate the NO SPEED 5 rule, because speed 5 motions are what causes programming problems), I changed the speed to 4, giving it a distance of 10 before stopping if no players are encountered by the enemy.

Chrono

Quote from: Duskling on October 10, 2010, 11:06:15 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on October 10, 2010, 10:32:08 PM
C)The Mechanics got a military contract from the Ravinale Guard, so that means that the Mechanics are better or equal to the Helenites.
I'd say the Helenites are equal to or better than the Mechanics, as Helena was a Mechanic, so she knows some/most/maybe all of their techniques and whatnot, and the Ravinale guard member who hired the Mechanics said he regretted it and should have hired the Helenites.
Agreed. Also, Helena was already at that level after they just left the Mechanics. She didn't even belong to any proper group. Now she's the boss of the Helenites so it should make them better than the Mechanics.

[/spoiler]

Chrono

Quote from: Duckling on October 10, 2010, 11:32:48 PM
@ Duskling 2 pages ago

When talking of Stone Golems, or talking near them, or in the case of Bronze Golems, you hear stone grinding, or bronze parts spinning inside. As you can see from the Golem Workshop in TRPG2, these are very complicated. It's not very clearly defined what a War Engine is, and until someone can find a legitimate source on what a war engine is, it's open to interpretation. It wouldn't have to be put together well, and it's obvious this isn't an optimal design of the War Engine, as it rusts every turn, so the technology is about the same level as Golems. The rusting is due a lack of oil on the battlefield, and disuse of the attack machinery on any given turn. I didn't want the enemy to have to be placed anywhere in particular for it to work, but as there has been intense pressure for the vestigial speed 5 (I keep insisting that it wouldn't be used as actual speed, but merely a way to keep speed up at 4 for a turn, and thus wouldn't violate the NO SPEED 5 rule, because speed 5 motions are what causes programming problems), I changed the speed to 4, giving it a distance of 10 before stopping if no players are encountered by the enemy.
In that case, define "War Engine" since it was your idea to begin with. Regarding its speed, if the war engine really is in its developing stage then it shouldn't even be this fast.

[/spoiler]

ArtDrake

Golems are powerful, right? But they rely on that power to hit things. The War engine has no need of power in its movements, so it can use the same raw energy on speed, thus making it slightly faster than a human; speed 4. Its attacks lie separate of its movements.

Anyway, I wish to leave it open to interpretation so it could be flexibly implemented.

Chrono

Quote from: Duckling on October 10, 2010, 11:59:29 PM
Golems are powerful, right? But they rely on that power to hit things. The War engine has no need of power in its movements, so it can use the same raw energy on speed, thus making it slightly faster than a human; speed 4. Its attacks lie separate of its movements.

Anyway, I wish to leave it open to interpretation so it could be flexibly implemented.
No one would really bother defining it if it's not their idea, unless they really love it. No offense, but people don't seem to like your idea to that extent. As for the speed I really don't care, but shouldn't war machines be more powerful than they are fast? Of course it's open to interpretation, but it would be better if you defined it yourself, then we would help expand on that. Take the traps and fire golems for example, if you have been following.

[/spoiler]

SmartyPants

Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 10, 2010, 10:39:41 PM
That's why the Flame Golem should have a uniqueish attack to separate it from Flint. I vote fire fist.
Why would we want to separate the Flame Golem from Flint when we are basing the golem off of Flint?

the Ravinale guard member who hired the Mechanics said he regretted it and should have hired the Helenites.
That was because they let Resistance soldiers into the camp.  If they hired Helenites and the Resistance got into the camp, then they would regret not hiring the Mechanics.

Chrono

Quote from: im2smart4u on October 11, 2010, 12:16:30 AM
Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 10, 2010, 10:39:41 PM
Why would we want to separate the Flame Golem from Flint when we are basing the golem off of Flint?

the Ravinale guard member who hired the Mechanics said he regretted it and should have hired the Helenites.
That was because they let Resistance soldiers into the camp.  If they hired Helenites and the Resistance got into the camp, then they would regret not hiring the Mechanics.
That is true. But of course the Ravinale guards don't know better since they were the next to be slaughtered. We want to make the Flame Golem unique because Flint was from the Mechanics. The Helenites are their own group. Even then, Helena was quite proud of Flint too, so it would make sense that some of its features would be based off Flint's.

[/spoiler]

ArtDrake

What are you going to do with a War Engine that's powerful? Run people over? I'm afraid that's too dificult to program. Since the ability to get places fast is an advantage, a designer would go with speed, not strength. Anyway, what I was saying was not that it needed forther definition, but that the explanation I gave on what a War Engine was like did not conflict with the current one for the sole reason that there is no formal definiton of a War Engine, just an idea, and the idea can take a couple of different forms. Details, details; if you want to ask more about the War Engine, first ask exactly how tall in centimeters a Stone Golem is. Then I'll gladly pay you back Tuesday... I mean provide information.

Chrono

Quote from: Duckling on October 11, 2010, 12:38:14 AM
What are you going to do with a War Engine that's powerful? Run people over? I'm afraid that's too dificult to program. Since the ability to get places fast is an advantage, a designer would go with speed, not strength. Anyway, what I was saying was not that it needed forther definition, but that the explanation I gave on what a War Engine was like did not conflict with the current one for the sole reason that there is no formal definiton of a War Engine, just an idea, and the idea can take a couple of different forms. Details, details; if you want to ask more about the War Engine, first ask exactly how tall in centimeters a Stone Golem is. Then I'll gladly pay you back Tuesday... I mean provide information.
I was saying, if you had bothered to define its stats in the beginning, you would have wasted less time in arguing about your idea. I'm pretty sure if you had followed the ideas on traps then you would have noticed that you lacked something. Actually, just notice every single idea that got yays and nays. They all had stats defined by the person before he/she modified them.

[/spoiler]

ArtDrake

I already gave the stats. I'll go fish them out, but if you can't be bothered to find them, and I'm assuming you didn't join in the discussion late, don't say I didn't give the stats.

ArtDrake

Quote from: Duckling on October 05, 2010, 06:17:11 PM
What if we had a VERY fast enemy (5, per se?) that, if on any given turn, didn't attack, it would use a default attack which lowered its speed by 1?

It would be a very "use it or lose it" sort of thing. Eventually, it would become a turret enemy like Energy Golems, which is why I suggest it be a War Engine (it rusts if you don't use it), and have a range of 2-4 in any of the 4 directions. Thus:

War Engine

HP: 50
PsP: N/A
Speed: 5 (to start with)
Attacks: Projectile (14 physical damage), Rust (Default: reduces own speed by 1)
Resistance to Heat (steam engine: heat only helps it burn hotter; it's a compromise between structural damage and better working. Instead of upping the damage done by 4 for every Heat attack sent its way [althrough that would be cool], it instead just gets a 50% damage reduction. Possibly used by the mechanics. Then again, they already have their golem tank units, so maybe this can be more of a Helenite thing.

Okay, Chrono?