News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Mathmetician refuses $1 million

Started by CraigStern, March 25, 2010, 08:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Most of you have probably heard about this by now, but in case you haven't:

QuoteYou are the world's cleverest man. You have solved one of maths' most intractable problems. Do you a) accept a $1m reward, or b) reject the money, barricade yourself inside your flat and refuse to answer the door? The answer, if you are the reclusive Russian genius Grigory Perelman, is b).

Full story here.

I think I might have to put a character in TSoG based on this guy. :)

KZ

Ah yes, Mr Perelman is back in the limelight! All he wants, really, is not to be famous, but his actions just made him even more so than he otherwise could've been.
He doesn't care for the money: he is just making (from his point of view) a decision based on principle and personal belief. Kind of diffcult to comprehened if you are not Russian.

Heh, could that character be somehow related to Baz and his family, refusing to accept a vast fortune from his father, leaving everything to Baz? :P
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Zhampir

Quote from: KZ on March 25, 2010, 10:47:43 AM
Kind of diffcult to comprehened if you are not Russian.
So then, you are Russian?

KZ

Quote from: Zhampir on March 25, 2010, 01:53:38 PM
Quote from: KZ on March 25, 2010, 10:47:43 AM
Kind of diffcult to comprehened if you are not Russian.
So then, you are Russian?
Well, you certainly can't deduce that from the post given above- I merely stated a few borad features of the situation and hinted at ease of understanding for someone with Russian mentality. However, to satiate your curiosity: yes, yes I am.

Back on topic: what think you folks of the situation though? From what I heard and seen, most, both in and outside Russia, find the sitation comical, more than anything else.
In any way, his modus operandi has certainly backfired, and given the circumstances, methinks his initial reasons for refusing the award will be lost in obscurity to the public at large. (Would've been probably easier for him to take the award and then share his damning views during the presentation ceremony- that would've gotten the right headlines: "mathematician accuses fellow of.... blah, blah, blah... during his presentation speech".)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Zhampir

I haven't read the full story, but just from what you've mentioned, I have my own ideas. I would not want the money either, but I'd take the award anyway and likely donate it, discreetly. I would not want the fame either. I like being recognized for my work by a few people that matter, not the world at large. If some sort of mentor figure simply gave me a nod and that was all the recognition I received, then I would be fine with it. More than that would annoy me.

Presentiment

Zhampir

In what I'm saying? I've never liked having money. All ways feel like I don't deserve it. There a billions of people all over the world that have it worse than I do, why should I be so fortunate? That and I hate being the center of attention, a sort of stage fright I guess.