News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xemadus Echina

would a private alpha for TT be possible?
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

bugfartboy

Is TT going to be a FREE (:D) game, or a pay-for (:'() game?

CraigStern

I haven't decided yet. It might end up being a bit of both. We'll see.

bugfartboy

So it could possibly be one of those where it's possible to play through the entire thing for free, but can get special features or something along those lines for pay? If that's it, I could live with that.

CraigStern

Quote from: Bugfartboy on June 01, 2011, 10:08:02 PM
So it could possibly be one of those where it's possible to play through the entire thing for free, but can get special features or something along those lines for pay? If that's it, I could live with that.

That's one idea I'm toying with.

I'm also thinking about porting it to touchscreen devices so you can sit around and play with friends while on the go. Those versions would be pay-to-download for sure.

bugfartboy

... Seriously? That'd be awesome. That'd be something I'd definitely be able to buy, if by "touchscreen devices" you mean things along the line of iPod, iPhone, and other types of tablet devices. Good to know. Thanks Craig!

Ertxiem

Quote from: CraigStern on May 31, 2011, 07:11:58 PM
Sponsorships work on a paid advertising model. I can't imagine a sponsor wanting to pay money for their logo to appear in a non-free game.

Actually, most of the current sport games (that are sold) have some logos in them, and I assume they have paid for it. I've heard of some soccer player (I'm sorry, but I can't remember who, it was about 5 years ago) that couldn't appear in the cover of a soccer game because he was being sponsored by a different firm.

So, it may be possible to have some sponsors on a sold game. In particular if they can be associated to what the game represents... in your case perhaps the psy academy could have a Harvard wing (mmm... perhaps it's too much... mmm... is a Ronald McDonald's wing a better option? Or the new mechanics weapon being a Ford?).
Jokes aside, it's tricky but possible, in my view.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Xemadus Echina

i thought indi games were supposed to NOT sell out to corporations via sponsorships...
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

CraigStern

Well, the thing is to have creative freedom. A sponsor gives you money after the game is already done, so (at least in my mind) it's not the same thing as being beholden to a publisher.

Zackirus

How come you haven't posted any new Blogs, Updated the game, or posted on Twitter in the past few weeks?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

Indie Developer Appreciation Month?

CraigStern

Quote from: Zackirus on June 04, 2011, 03:57:21 PM
How come you haven't posted any new Blogs, Updated the game, or posted on Twitter in the past few weeks?

The past month has been a busy time for me--I know that I've been remiss in posting updates. I'll get back into the habit this month.

bugfartboy

Can I get a copy of the new boss music as an mp3 for my iPod somehow? Or do I need to wait until the soundtrack comes out?

Zackirus

What do you mean by, "Working on Separating the TSoG engine from the main game" on twitter? 
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

The combat engine is being separated from the main game. It's a measure designed to give make developing the rest of the game easier for me, but it shouldn't result in much of a noticeable difference from the player's perspective. (I'll explain it in a proper front page post in a day or two.)