News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWanderingShadow

Quote from: CraigStern on March 25, 2012, 05:38:01 PM
Quote from: TheWanderingShadow on March 25, 2012, 12:05:23 AM
Hey, would you mind explaining how one makes programmer's graphics and their advantage over just drawing the graphics in flash?

Programmer graphics is just an expression for bad placeholder art quickly thrown together by a programmer in order to test out code. You can very easily make programmer art by drawing in Flash.

As for the advantages of using placeholder art: well, quite simply, it gives you something to look at so you can make sure your engine actually works before you go to the trouble of making it pretty.

But I've heard that you can draw vector graphics by using code in Flash. Is there an advantage to doing that?
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

CraigStern

Yes; it allows you to easily create boxes and circles of custom sizes (I do this in Telepath Tactics for the pop-up info boxes when you mouse over units and objects, since the boxes change size depending on circumstances). Doing this also reduces the size of your game, since it's not storing any vector images--everything is generated on the fly from code.

Ertxiem

Sorry for intruding. :)
Vector graphics have advantages when you want to zoom in some areas. Perhaps the disadvantage they have is that it's harder to create a picture (at least I feel like it's harder). Scalable Vector Graphics is an open standard that allows creation by and interaction with scripts (ECMAScript, the specification of JavaScript and ActionScript 3).
If you want some eye candy, there are some amazing examples of vector art.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

TheWanderingShadow

Quote from: CraigStern on March 25, 2012, 11:12:59 PM
Yes; it allows you to easily create boxes and circles of custom sizes (I do this in Telepath Tactics for the pop-up info boxes when you mouse over units and objects, since the boxes change size depending on circumstances). Doing this also reduces the size of your game, since it's not storing any vector images--everything is generated on the fly from code.
Quote from: Ertxiem on March 26, 2012, 09:35:49 AM
Sorry for intruding. :)
Vector graphics have advantages when you want to zoom in some areas. Perhaps the disadvantage they have is that it's harder to create a picture (at least I feel like it's harder). Scalable Vector Graphics is an open standard that allows creation by and interaction with scripts (ECMAScript, the specification of JavaScript and ActionScript 3).
If you want some eye candy, there are some amazing examples of vector art.

Duly noted. Thanks, both of you!

P.S. And dang, those are some awesome vector drawings.

bugfartboy

CraigStern

SmartyPants

If you could only recommend one indie game, what would it be? (and I don't mean TSoG or TPA2)

CraigStern

Depends: who am I recommending it , and what kind of games do they like?

SmartyPants

Lets say an RPG with a well thought out story and at least some replay value.

Also, I was also curious what type of indie game you like vs. what type of game you think I would like.

Steelfist

A question about the 'Gift': is the 'Gift' latent in everyone (though varying in strength), or does it only appear in certain people?

That's been bugging me for a while.

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 04, 2012, 07:01:44 PM
Lets say an RPG with a well thought out story and at least some replay value.

The Spirit Engine 2 is very well-written, and (at least in my opinion) sports a fair bit of replay value due to the varying party compositions you can choose at the beginning of the game. You'll have to play it through at least three times to see all of the characters--more if you want to see how they interact in different combinations.

My favorite indie games tend to be RPGs and strategy games. I'm not sure which genres you like best, though I do remember you saying that you didn't care much for strategy without story.

Quote from: SteelFist on April 04, 2012, 09:18:40 PM
A question about the 'Gift': is the 'Gift' latent in everyone (though varying in strength), or does it only appear in certain people?

It appears only in certain people.

TheWanderingShadow

You code the text in the dialogue boxes using strings, right? Does that mean you have to type each line into the code individually? Doesn't that clutter things up?

CraigStern

Yes and yes. I'm planning on switching to an new system for future games, however, one that reads external XML files.

Ertxiem

Wouldn't that be easier to be hacked? Or would you store the xml file inside a zip file with a password (both saving space and making it harder to take a look inside)?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

I'm not concerned about people modding the game; in fact, I see that as a plus. I plan to make the game easy enough to modify that people can easily add on new content.