News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Telepath Tactics would be quite easy to localize; and yes, I'm strongly considering it.

TheWanderingShadow

Do you use Flex or the Flash IDE when you're making games?
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

CraigStern

I use the Flash IDE--it's the only way to do complex vector animations. Now that I'm transitioning to raster art, though, I've been increasingly interested in the possibility of transitioning to Flash Builder. I do basically everything in code these days, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. The only things that would be annoying are having no way to organize a library of assets outside of an .swc, and having to use Flex-specific calls to import assets.

ArtDrake

Is there any substance that can block Psy-based communication?

Also, I noticed that Arman's attacks in TRPG:SoG can have different backstab and sidestab boni than other attacks. Is this done through making generic Attacks be a superclass with a static variable for backstab and sidestab damage (150% and 100% respectively), but then declaring separate values for some of Arman's attacks?

And then, if this is the case, would that mean that certain units couldn't have directional defensive modifiers, only offensive directional modifiers? (For example, if a particular breed of Lizardman were asymmetrical and had thin, papery hide on its right side, could one increase one's damage by attacking it on its right? Or even just one unit being particularly vulnerable to backstabs...)

I know that's a lot of questions, so take your time.

SmartyPants

Will people be able to make their own campaigns using the complete game?  (Many people would like to make their own campaigns.)

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on July 09, 2012, 06:57:14 PM
Will people be able to make their own campaigns using the complete game?  (Many people would like to make their own campaigns.)

It's likely. The game is already really easy to add new maps for--the only real question is whether I'll add in a UI option in the game to select other campaigns. It's likely.

Quote from: Duckling on July 08, 2012, 10:57:08 PM
Is there any substance that can block Psy-based communication?

Possibly; if so, it has yet to be discovered. :)

Quote from: Duckling on July 08, 2012, 10:57:08 PMAlso, I noticed that Arman's attacks in TRPG:SoG can have different backstab and sidestab boni than other attacks. Is this done through making generic Attacks be a superclass with a static variable for backstab and sidestab damage (150% and 100% respectively), but then declaring separate values for some of Arman's attacks?

That would be a smart way of doing it; that wasn't the particular method I used, though.

Quote from: Duckling on July 08, 2012, 10:57:08 PMAnd then, if this is the case, would that mean that certain units couldn't have directional defensive modifiers, only offensive directional modifiers? (For example, if a particular breed of Lizardman were asymmetrical and had thin, papery hide on its right side, could one increase one's damage by attacking it on its right?)

Neither game engine supports unit-specific, direction-specific strengths and weaknesses.

SmartyPants

Quote from: CraigStern on July 09, 2012, 10:46:09 PM
Quote from: SmartyPants on July 09, 2012, 06:57:14 PMWill people be able to make their own campaigns using the complete game?  (Many people would like to make their own campaigns.)
It's likely. The game is already really easy to add new maps for--the only real question is whether I'll add in a UI option in the game to select other campaigns. It's likely.
What is an "UI option"?

ArtDrake

A User Interface option -- a way of selecting other campaigns through the game screens.

SmartyPants

Will Telepath Tactics have a linear story or will take another 4 years to do a complex RPG?

CraigStern

It will be linear, which means this is going to be much much much faster to make than TSoG was.

SmartyPants

I don't know much about law, so I would like your opinion since you went law school.  Is it a reasonable argument to say "due process" isn't "judicial process"?

CraigStern

Under U.S. Supreme Court precedent, it's correct to say that you don't necessarily have to go to court to receive due process. However, something pretty closely analogous is usually required (see e.g. Boumediene v. Bush).

ArtDrake

Do you know whether there's a simple or elegant way of arranging the depth indices of Flash sprites and movieclips so their order of depth reflects their actual three-dimensional positions? I'm trying to make a 3d game, and it's kind of hard to work out a simple way to handle this operation in a way that it could be done hundreds of times in a fraction of a second.

CraigStern