News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

What do you think would be the best way to implement tiles of pavement within a game taking place in an urban environment would be?

That is, I could generate random dark-grey noise patterns and use them as bitmaps inside of movie clips, or I could try and generate the random tiles dynamically, but I don't know if you can actually generate non-sprite images dynamically in Flash, so I would have to make the game keep track of hundreds of times the number of movie clips / sprites.

I'm thinking I'll do the former, but if you know of another good way of generating a random-appearing terrain without making Flash keep up with thousands of separate objects simultaneously, I'm all ears.

Sorry if my last question didn't make any sense... I'm just going to make the game in 2.5D, and not 3D, so that's out of the way.

CraigStern

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. You can definitely generate BitmapData objects from code in AS3, though I imagine that it would probably be easier to create a single raster image, import it as BitmapData, and then use a combination of perlin noise and setPixel() to create unique variations.

ArtDrake

I don't think I really fully understood my question either, but you managed to give me some very helpful advice. Thanks!

CraigStern

bugfartboy

Will your Let's Play of Homeworld be returning to your channel anytime soon?

CraigStern

I'll do my best; I'm really, really busy though. Sadly, ever since I decided to start doing daily posts on IndieRPGs.com, I haven't had much time to do Let's Play videos. :S

bugfartboy

That's okay. You just kinda left it hanging, and I was curious if you'd forgotten about it or decided to leave it alone.

bugfartboy

About how fast would a normal battle in TSoG go? Such as would the Warden battle take minutes, seconds, hours (Although I doubt hours)?

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 17, 2012, 02:36:47 PM
About how fast would a normal battle in TSoG go? Such as would the Warden battle take minutes, seconds, hours (Although I doubt hours)?

Minutes. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that most battles last between 2 minutes (really quick ones) and 20 minutes (really long ones).

bugfartboy

So I really love what voice acting I've heard in the Demo so far. Some of the humor isn't really effective as plain text. Any particular reason you decided not to give the Hero a voice? Was it to avoid limiting how the player could see the character?

CraigStern

Basically, yes; I want the player to be able to imagine him or herself in Duvalier's shoes. I feel that voicing his character would necessarily interrupt a little of the investment the player has to put into imagining that.

bugfartboy

Had you wanted to give him a voice, what would he sound like to you?

CraigStern

He would have sounded like the best voice actor I could find willing to voice him within my time and budget constraints.  :P

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on August 17, 2012, 03:26:48 PM
He would have sounded like the best voice actor I could find willing to voice him within my time and budget constraints.  :P
Touché

What would have been inside your time constraints?

CraigStern

That depends. My dad ended up voicing Set, for instance, because I went down to the wire without being able to find someone better. (As opposed to, say, Arman, whom he was basically born to voice.)

I actually ended up getting Matt Gall to voice the narration at the beginning; so really, he is the voice of Duvalier, but I made a decision to keep all of the player-selected lines unvoiced for the reasons I mentioned in my post above.