News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

Do you have plans to make Telepath RPG games in a chronological fashion, or are you going to go back to old stories and retell portions of them from different viewpoints in new games?

CraigStern

I do not consider myself bound by any sort of strict chronology; events happen during whatever time period best suits the story I want to tell.

ArtDrake

Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense.

Do you think you'll ever run out of themes for your stories? I mean, they seem to be largely based around various forms of social injustice [racism, the injustice of theocracies] with other themes underneath [the consequences of warring, abuse of the legal system, suppression of knowledge due to religion], but I could be wrong on that.

CraigStern

I have quite a few story ideas saved up; I doubt I'll run out of them any time soon. :)

TheWanderingShadow

How do you maintain your work ethic?
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

CraigStern

Um, I dunno. Via the proper application of latent Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? :D

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on August 23, 2012, 06:54:21 AM
Um, I dunno. Via the proper application of latent Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? :D
Are you sure it's not just the power of pure awesomeness that flows through your veins, releasing itself into your work?

CraigStern

If that were true, I'd donate blood more often; improve national productivity.

ArtDrake

What made you stay away from generic fantasy settings and peoples? I mean, I don't recognize any of the races you have in the telepath universe except Human and Lizardman.

Was it that you specifically didn't want to do what everyone else had done, or more that the existing templates couldn't be used to convey exactly what you wanted out of them?

Ertxiem

While reading your question, Duckling, I wondered why the use of Lizardmen? Craig: did you feel that the already existing races were unable to provide further diversity?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

ArtDrake

Well, I've seen some form of man-lizard hybrid in at least two other games, the more notable of the two being Argonians from the Elder Scrolls games [The name of the less notable case I don't remember].

CraigStern

Quote from: Duckling on August 23, 2012, 10:07:33 PM
What made you stay away from generic fantasy settings and peoples?

The better question is, "Why does anyone use them?" What kind of a genre is Fantasy where everyone presents the same fantasy? There's nothing fantastical about reprising the same tired tropes over and over again. It's just laziness.

CraigStern

As for why I'm using lizardmen: I felt like it, basically. I had some ideas for interesting things I could do with them, so I decided to make them part of the game world. I can't think of any RPGs that have done anything all that interesting with lizardmen other than the Elder Scrolls games, and even then, the interesting stuff is basically just relegated to flavor text. They're not ubiquitous in the way that dwarves, elves, goblins and dragons are.

deathknight1728

Quote from: CraigStern on August 24, 2012, 08:13:33 PM
I can't think of any RPGs that have done anything all that interesting with lizardmen other than the Elder Scrolls games, and even then, the interesting stuff is basically just relegated to flavor text. They're not ubiquitous in the way that dwarves, elves, goblins and dragons are.

My favorite type of race that is somewhat like that is: Slithzerikai from Avernum series. But yes other than Elder Scrolls, not many types of classes/races like that. I still think that lizard men that you made are very much like monks from d and d, but thats just a personal thought.

CraigStern

I haven't revealed much of their culture yet, but funnily enough, the lizardmen do have a sort of spiritual martial arts tradition loosely inspired by Varzesh-e-Bastani.