News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

No I wasn't. For some reason I thought I had said that I hadn't updated the demo install yet, but apparently not. I haven't tried with the 1.10 yet. Anyways, I found a bug in the latest update. To the found bug!

And now a question:

How does "Transfer" work in TT. I'm looking at the line for it, and I see nothing that would cause it to take PsP away from the user. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding it.

~Edit~
I'm guessing that it's shield element is what allows it to boost PsP.

CraigStern

The Shield element is what makes it boost instead of taking away; the atkAffects="Energy" attribute is what makes it affect Energy instead of Health. And the variable attack cost is currently something hard-coded into the engine; I forgot about that one. I'll fix that now. :)

Ertxiem

I've seen a couple of suggestions regarding the port of TT to Android/iOS. How hard do you estimate it would be?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

It would be quite challenging. We're looking at--at a bare minimum--weeks of work. But I think it juuuuust might be worth it. ;)

ArtDrake

What's the little golden oval thing under the Spearman's chestpiece? A buckle? I'm drawing some art, and I want to be able to get it right.

[I asked this question once already, and I think it might have disappeared maybe. Weird.]

CraigStern

Quote from: Duckling on March 17, 2013, 08:21:32 PM
What's the little golden oval thing under the Spearman's chestpiece? A buckle?

Yup! That's the buckle for his belt. You can see it in the title screen art (see attached).

bugfartboy

How did you fix the variable PsP cost so that it wasn't hard coded in? Or rather, in what way is it moddable?

CraigStern

Basically, I recoded it so that if you set an attack's selfFocusFactor to a negative number, it multiplies it by the "damage" of the attack (as normal), but instead of draining that amount in extra Energy when the attack is launched, it adds it to the attack's up-front cost. So Transfer has a cost of 0 and a selfFocusFactor of -1, which results in the attack's cost being whatever amount of Energy the character is going to transfer over.

bugfartboy

Is there a way to combine the effects of Drain and Mind Shield into one attack? A sort of retrograde effect? So that you can drain your target's energy at the cost of healing it. Possibly by putting a negative sign in front of the variable that an attack is supposed to affect. Something like

affects="Health/-Energy"

~Edit~
Just a little grammatical issue. Don't mind me!

CraigStern

Right now? No. But it's an interesting idea!

Sythion

I'm sorry this only occurred to me know; Can I use my (Avatar) image here, and in other places as long as I don't claim credit and send them to here if asked?
Hunger is the best spice.

CraigStern

Sythion

Thanks! (I absolutely love this picture)
Hunger is the best spice.

bugfartboy

This may make me seem like a whining five-year-old, but any idea when a modding guide will be released for maps? I understand what some of the numbers represent, but figuring out what combinations of letters and numbers put a certain tile where is beyond me.

This next bit is more of an extremely whiny rant. You can ignore it if you want.
[spoiler]
~~Start of Rant~~

I really like how easy the game is to mod, but I feel like you over-complicated it in a few ways. Now, I have no clue how many drops of sweat, blood, and tears you've put into this game. I assume it's a lot. How the game operates behind the scenes is beyond me.

I feel like you could have coded the game to spawn new units on the map without making a "Create" element, but rely solely on the "creates" variable in an attack. Or healing could have used the aforementioned "-Health" and/or "-Energy" under the "affects" variable in an attack. For logical reasons the "-" could drain Health or Energy and a lack of one would restore.

I mean no disrespect. I really have been having a blast playing around with it all. I've actually not touched the campaign but more than two or three times. Either way, it seems a little over-complicated.

~~End of Rant~~
[/spoiler]