News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Is there a way to set up the character deployment system so that you aren't required to use all of your reserve troops? The problem I'm having is that the game automatically places troops into "From Player Roster" spaces, and I can't remove them.

~Edit~
Will the list of available soundtracks in TT be added to the manual?

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 12, 2013, 12:55:45 PM
Is there a way to set up the character deployment system so that you aren't required to use all of your reserve troops?

Nope. The only way you can do that right now is to give the player fewer spawn spots.

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 12, 2013, 12:55:45 PM
Will the list of available soundtracks in TT be added to the manual?

Eventually. It's still in flux, so I'm holding off on adding them for now.

bugfartboy

What are your thoughts on adding "Speed" to the list of stats that can be affected by space bonus?
I'm thinking if speed is increased by being on a space, a chain of such spaces could be used as a highway of sorts. A way of allowing faster travel, without permanently affecting character stats.

~Edit~
Or perhaps areas such as muddy bogs that impede movement?

ArtDrake

I thought you could already do that sort of temporary boost with something along the lines of "moves left".

CraigStern

bugfartboy

Is there any way to use custom values in dialog triggers? Something along the lines of

<Dialog branch="0">
    OnTurn/0/The Game/Here! Have some repeating dialog!
    <Action>SetVal/repeat,=,1</Action>
    <Reply>.../EndConv/</Reply>
  </Dialog>
  <Dialog branch="0" r="-1">
    OnTurn/-VAL:repeat-/The Game/Another turn has passed!!!
    <Action>SetVal/repeat,+,1</Action>
    <Reply>.../EndTurn/</Reply>
  </Dialog>

CraigStern

TheWanderingShadow

What gives the golems artificial intelligence? Energy golems like Dorgon especially.
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

bugfartboy

Will there be a way to access a level's filename from within dialog and use it as a variable?

CraigStern

Quote from: TheWanderingShadow on August 27, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
What gives the golems artificial intelligence? Energy golems like Dorgon especially.

Good question! For now, that will remain a mystery. ;)

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 27, 2013, 11:05:33 PM
Will there be a way to access a level's filename from within dialog and use it as a variable?

Maybe, if you can make a persuasive case for why that would be helpful to have as a feature.

bugfartboy

[spoiler=My conclusion]
While it seemed like a good idea in my mind, actually thinking through it made me realize that using it for my hypothetical purpose would be extremely messy and inefficient. I retract my previous question.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Thought Genesis]
The thought for this came from several AS2 tutorials I've been reading that suggested attaching code for the stage directly to the stage, rather than individual instances.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Semi Persuasive Case]
My thought was that dialog would be concentrated in one location  (ideally PersistentDialog.xml), that could be used based on a multitude of "IfStringGoTo" actions. In my mind it would work in a fashion akin to:

<Dialog branch="0" r="1">
    OnTurn/0/The Game/Determining loaded map
        <Action>IfStringGoTo/-CURRENTMAP-,=,Headquarters1,1</Action>
        <Action>IfStringGoTo/-CURRENTMAP-,=,Dungeon1,5</Action>
        <Reply>.../EndConv</Reply>
</Dialog>

While it seemed like a good idea in my mind, actually thinking through it made me realize that using it for my hypothetical purpose would be extremely messy and inefficient. I retract my previous question.

[/spoiler]

CraigStern

ArtDrake

Traditionally, it seems the idea of a golem has been a very cultural one -- it's a being that really only showed up in Jewish folklore before it was later popularized...

is there anything culture-specific about the golems in the Telepath universe that would prevent another civilization from developing the technology independently? Yours seem a bit more steampunk than usual and less like the sort that would be animated with a scroll, so I'm guessing no?

I've just been having this idea rattling around in my head of a Far Eastern-type civilization making Steel Golems with dual katana, and I'm wondering if there's anything preventing that from happening, say, in an AU setting.

bugfartboy

Is there a way to put custom mp3 files into "Data\Sounds" and call them with PlaySound?