News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on September 11, 2013, 11:17:43 PM
Is there a way to put custom mp3 files into "Data\Sounds" and call them with PlaySound?

Yes. Just do exactly what you just wrote. :)

Quote from: algebra17 on August 28, 2013, 05:08:57 PM
Traditionally, it seems the idea of a golem has been a very cultural one -- it's a being that really only showed up in Jewish folklore before it was later popularized...

is there anything culture-specific about the golems in the Telepath universe that would prevent another civilization from developing the technology independently? Yours seem a bit more steampunk than usual and less like the sort that would be animated with a scroll, so I'm guessing no?

I've just been having this idea rattling around in my head of a Far Eastern-type civilization making Steel Golems with dual katana, and I'm wondering if there's anything preventing that from happening, say, in an AU setting.

Nope! It's pure tech; any civilization with the right technology can manufacture them.

bugfartboy

So in theory, this could be used to load customized music into the game, albeit without automatic looping. Is there a way to disable music without having the player manually mute it?

CraigStern

I believe using the PlayMusic action with any parameter that is not an actual track name will silence the game's music; you might want to test that out, though.

bugfartboy

It does disable the music... As well as the entire game. Causes the entire thing to freeze. Another one of those fatal errors that I have a habit of running into?

CraigStern

Ah; that's no good!

I just went in and changed a little code--when I next update the game, you should be able to use None as a PlayMusic parameter to safely stop all music currently playing.

bugfartboy

How difficult would it be to allow modders and map makers to create their own element for attacks/replace the current ones?

CraigStern

That is not supported.

You can make an attack's element anything you like, but elemental resistances are set in stone--if you make an element something for which there is no resistance, it will work, but it will always deal 100% damage.

bugfartboy

Will modders be able to create their own randomly generated dungeons? Or will we be limited to what comes with the game?

CraigStern

Each campaign will have a subfolder within its Maps folder called "Generator Chunks." You can edit the contents of that folder to create new rooms. I also plan to make it so you can customize the size of generated dungeons and the range of enemies that can spawn.

bugfartboy

Will we be able to create different types of dungeons? Have different types of dungeons kept in different folders so that we can call which dungeon gets used?

CraigStern

That is not planned. Keep in mind, I have to keep the scope of this feature limited--the game is already going to take until next year to finish as it is. If I were to go crazy with customizability here, the game's release could easily end up slipping into 2015.

bugfartboy

True. Don't want you spending another 4 years on a game!

Sythion

Do you ever plan on re-making the original TRPG with the TT engine?
Hunger is the best spice.

Ertxiem

Quote from: CraigStern on May 05, 2012, 04:24:25 PM
Quote from: Duskling on May 05, 2012, 01:44:07 PM
The remakes of TRPG1 and 2 will be free, though, right? *hopeful face*

I'm not even sure if I'm making them! At this point, it's impossible to say.
I'm afraid that wasn't on Craig's plans 18 months ago... perhaps he will change his mind.
Or perhaps some of the TRPG fans make it (hint, hint). :)

Edit: grammar.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

I have a ton of game ideas that I want to pursue, and limited time in which to pursue them. In all honesty, remaking games that I've already designed is not at the top of my priority list. It might happen someday; but for now, there's a reason why Telepath Tactics has mod support. ;)