News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Why the inconsistencies in music on the Original Soundtrack and the music in-game?  E.g. Against All Odds is named ForHonor in-game, Getting to know You is named CheckingOutTheGoods in-game, there are 26 tracks available to be played in-game but only 24 in the soundtrack, etc.

CraigStern

Quote from: LightningLord2 on June 13, 2015, 08:31:59 AM
Will you make it possible for multiplayer maps that players can rearrange their troop positions? I don't want to have to write down and memorize which position is occupied by which slot.

That would be nice! I'm still focused on fixing stuff in single player, but I can put that on the Wish list for sometime in the future. :)

bugfartboy

When you get the mean nasty bugs squashed and start focusing on added new mechanics (scripts in Atk tags being the one I want to focus on here) how difficult would it be to specifiy different scripts to run at different frames of the attack: at least one before and one after the attack lands, or on either side of attacking each individual targeted unit if possible. Also would it be possible for the game to generate an array of units that the attack is currently targeting/targeted?

The reason I ask involves adding tags to do moreor less damage with that specific attack only based on targeted stats such as class, percentage of health remaining, percentage of energy remaining, etc.

If that's not likely to occur, oh well. Being able to run even one script on an attack would be cool.

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on June 15, 2015, 10:17:53 AM
how difficult would it be to specifiy different scripts to run at different frames of the attack: at least one before and one after the attack lands, or on either side of attacking each individual targeted unit if possible

You mean, give scripts functionality similar to sound and visual effects tied to attacks? The answer is "probably very difficult." I imagine that attack scripts will end up more straightforward than that, but we'll see.

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on June 15, 2015, 10:17:53 AMThe reason I ask involves adding tags to do moreor less damage with that specific attack only based on targeted stats such as class

Suggestion: use the ModDmgForClass, ModDmgForMoveType, ModDmgForRace, and ModDmgForTag tags to modify attack damage.

bugfartboy

Those affect all attacks that unit has, however. I was thinking more modifying the damage of a single attack based on those stats. I guess even being able to put tags such as those on attack lines themselves would do the trick.

bugfartboy

We know of obfuscation as a method of completely hiding minds and thoughts, but how difficult would it be for the average Psy to create a fully functional secondary or false consciousness on top of their own?

bugfartboy

Is it possible to overload script names? E.g. If a script in PersistentDialog has a name of "A Cool Script", and a different script within a map is also called "A Cool Script", would one be called over the other? Or would they both the processed in a specific order
Also: how hard would it be to implement a "GenerateLog" action, to help with troubleshooting long scripts?

On a similar thread as the obfuscation related question above: how difficult would it be for a psy to preform a constant act of telekinesis, such as emulating wind? I'd imagine not too hard, if draining, but I'm no Psy.

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on June 19, 2015, 01:47:51 PM
We know of obfuscation as a method of completely hiding minds and thoughts, but how difficult would it be for the average Psy to create a fully functional secondary or false consciousness on top of their own?

That depends. To intentionally create a fully functional secondary consciousness would be nearly impossible for all but the most talented of psys. To create a fragmentary false consciousness, however, would be much more attainable, if difficult. :)

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on June 22, 2015, 01:38:13 AM
On a similar thread as the obfuscation related question above: how difficult would it be for a psy to preform a constant act of telekinesis, such as emulating wind? I'd imagine not too hard, if draining, but I'm no Psy.

Quite doable, provided we're talking about a light breeze or a relatively small area--it would certainly be less difficult than telekinetically moving something the size of a human being.

Quote from: bugfartboy on June 22, 2015, 01:38:13 AM
Is it possible to overload script names? E.g. If a script in PersistentDialog has a name of "A Cool Script", and a different script within a map is also called "A Cool Script", would one be called over the other? Or would they both the processed in a specific order
Also: how hard would it be to implement a "GenerateLog" action, to help with troubleshooting long scripts?

A log action would not be hard to add; I'm not sure about overloading scripts, but you could probably figure it out yourself through experimentation. :)

bugfartboy

Quick backstory to the question so I don't seem as creepy.  You don't have to read it if you don't want to.

So I was looking at Who's Online and I saw a guest reading the Who is this? thread.  Not recognizing the title, I decided to read it and found a link to the now (relatively) old TSoG Flyer.  Seeing it was filed under the "Downloads" folder of the sinister design website, I got curious as to what else was in there.  SinisterDesign.net/Downloads 404'd on me, so I did some google-fu to see what google knew about that location on the website.  This leads me to my question:

How long ago did you think up Epic, and how often do you get to play it?

Sorry if it wasn't meant to be seen/discovered by the public.

CraigStern

Oh, I made Epic way back in high school--I played it with some of my friends back then, and that's about it. I haven't played that game in well over a decade!

Ertxiem

Hi Craig

I just took a look at a comparison between AIR and Unity3D.
Have you considered again doing games in Unity?
In 2010 you said something about it.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Hey! I've been considering switching over for a while; I still need to investigate its 2D capabilities and make sure it has the functionality I need.

bugfartboy

Hey Craig! I was wandering around General Discussion and I found this:
Quote from: CraigStern on October 25, 2012, 09:28:19 PM
I think things will pick up once I run the Telepath Tactics Kickstarter--and if not then, then once I release a free browser demo of Telepath Tactics. (I'm considering releasing a unique in-browser campaign or two once the full game is done, just to promote the game and draw traffic to the site.)

Is this still something you're considering?