News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

I assume you didn't explicitly intend to wreck the reference images in my analysis/speculation thread? I know you can't have planned on me using the site's own image URLs with the intent of avoiding pointless uploads onto the forum, but I could also imagine you being not displeased with the effect created.

CraigStern

Not to worry--you'll get to see those images again. I don't want them becoming permanent fixtures or finding their way around the 'net just yet, however. ;)

SmartyPants

I know "How to create a campaign", yet I don't know "How to create a good campaign. Your series on "How to create a campaign" is very good at giving instructions on how to work the map editor, yet that is only part of creating a campaign that is worth playing.  I have been experimenting with making a campaign, but I feel like my result is repetitive and full of cliché characters.  Have you thought about doing a similar series on how to make a campaign interesting, challenging, and fun?

CraigStern

Huh! That's interesting. I hadn't really thought about that. I suppose I could do that! :)

CraigStern

SmartyPants

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 01, 2015, 12:08:38 PMinteresting, challenging, and fun
I was pleasantly surprised that you quoted me for part 21.  I was also impressed by how much useful tips you put in only one part of the how-to.

CraigStern

Thanks! I figured that if I was going to write up an article on making a good campaign, I might as well do a thorough job of covering the points I wanted to make. :)

LightningLord2

Is there still any development regarding Telepath Tactics?

CraigStern

Barring someone finding a major bug that I can fix in a reasonable time span, development on Telepath Tactics is finished. I've improved the Flash engine about as much as I reasonably can, and it's not really economical for me to produce more content for it given the game's sales on launch.

SmartyPants

How do you feel about games made with RPG Maker?  Many of the games are made by as few as one person (which is as indie as it gets), yet I can't find anything about these games on your review website, IndieRPGs.com?

bugfartboy

With the current movement to purge Flash from the Internet in mind, have you considered trying to convert your free Flash games to HTML5 with Google's Swiffy?  I'm not sure how feasible it would be, especially with the sheer number of moving parts in TRPG2, but it would be interesting to see.

Would we be able to get a list of what each section of the map loading line in TT logs means?  I've been hitting a certain point where a map stops loading, and I'm not sure what the step actually does.

204 |    gotLevel = true; gotPersistentDialog = true; gotAttacks = true; gotAOEPatterns = true; gotCharClasses = true; gotObjClasses = true; gotItemClasses = true; gotCharNames = true; gotTileData = 4 / 4; gotTileBMPData = false

Voronwe

It's not a question! I just bought this game and I just wanted to congratulate you : a very nice old school game, with very nice graphism, and modding posibilities that make the game definitely interesting. A game of such quality is very, very rare, thanks for that !

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 14, 2016, 03:09:02 PM
How do you feel about games made with RPG Maker?  Many of the games are made by as few as one person (which is as indie as it gets), yet I can't find anything about these games on your review website, IndieRPGs.com?

I've actually covered a ton of RPG Maker games on IndieRPGs! Here's the list of tagged articles: http://indierpgs.com/tag/rpg-maker/

As for how I feel about it generally: I think it's a good tool for making games, especially if you don't yet have the ability to roll your own engine. However, it's a little limited if you don't put in the effort to code your own systems, and it tends to enable a lot of cookie-cutter work.

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on April 19, 2016, 08:35:24 PM
With the current movement to purge Flash from the Internet in mind, have you considered trying to convert your free Flash games to HTML5 with Google's Swiffy?  I'm not sure how feasible it would be, especially with the sheer number of moving parts in TRPG2, but it would be interesting to see.

Would we be able to get a list of what each section of the map loading line in TT logs means?  I've been hitting a certain point where a map stops loading, and I'm not sure what the step actually does.

204 |    gotLevel = true; gotPersistentDialog = true; gotAttacks = true; gotAOEPatterns = true; gotCharClasses = true; gotObjClasses = true; gotItemClasses = true; gotCharNames = true; gotTileData = 4 / 4; gotTileBMPData = false

I haven't really given that much thought, to be honest--I've mostly just been focused on building a new engine in Unity. If we reach a point where the old games aren't playable at all, I'll consider remaking them using the new tech.

As for the TT loading messages, those let me know which external data sources the game has successfully loaded thus far.

gotLevel = the particular level's XML file
gotPersistentDialog  = PersistentDialog.xml
gotAttacks = Attacks.xml
etc.

If gotTileBMPData = false, that means the game wasn't able to find one or more of the .png files for the level's tiles.

CraigStern

Quote from: Voronwe on April 28, 2016, 08:58:00 AM
It's not a question! I just bought this game and I just wanted to congratulate you : a very nice old school game, with very nice graphism, and modding posibilities that make the game definitely interesting. A game of such quality is very, very rare, thanks for that !

Thank you! I'm glad you like it. :)