News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

(Also, sorry for the late replies--I'm supposed to get email notifications when people post here, but for some reason, it seems I haven't been receiving them lately! I'll need to fix that.)

SmartyPants

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 14, 2016, 03:09:02 PMHow do you feel about games made with RPG Maker?

Quote from: CraigStern on May 14, 2016, 10:16:00 AMI've actually covered a ton of RPG Maker games on IndieRPGs! Here's the list of tagged articles: http://indierpgs.com/tag/rpg-maker/
Oh no! I was hoping that IndieRPGs would narrow down my search of RPG Maker games, yet you reviewed so many games that I don't know where to start. At least, you point out what games are roguelike, so I know to avoid them.

Quote from: CraigStern on May 14, 2016, 10:16:00 AMAs for how I feel about it generally: I think it's a good tool for making games, especially if you don't yet have the ability to roll your own engine. However, it's a little limited if you don't put in the effort to code your own systems, and it tends to enable a lot of cookie-cutter work.
I love RPG Maker games, but I quickly get bored of the chance-based combat system and wish that the combat was more like Fire Emblem.  Based on Telepath Tactics' focus on modding, it almost seems like a basic game creation program for Fire Emblem-like games. Have you ever thought of selling a modified Telepath Tactics engine as a game creation software like RPG Maker?

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on May 17, 2016, 08:35:46 PMBased on Telepath Tactics' focus on modding, it almost seems like a basic game creation program for Fire Emblem-like games. Have you ever thought of selling a modified Telepath Tactics engine as a game creation software like RPG Maker?

It's actually extremely difficult to make sRPGs in RPG Maker! The engine is really mostly just suited for jRPGs.

I actually had quite a few folks last year encouraging me to consider releasing an sRPG-focused competitor to RPG Maker based upon Telepath Tactics. But right around that time, Shouzou Kaga--the actual, original creator of the Fire Emblem series--released SRPG Studio. And I'm not especially interested in competing with him.

bugfartboy

How you made TT maps work is intriguing.  The first left side of each tile entry in the "row" elements was straightforward, but the right side took me some time to understand.

Why not use a more standardized high-radix counting system for the two digits to the right of the decimal, such as Base 32 (1056 total values in two digits) or 64 (4160 total values in two digits), instead of the method you chose to use?

CraigStern

It never really occurred to me to do so. (For the record, I also invented the algorithm for calculating character movement areas in the game from scratch.)

Sometimes I just feel like reinventing the wheel, I guess. :)

bugfartboy

I see. :)  Out of curiosity, what are the actual ranges and values you went with?  I notice things like !, @, and _ making an appearance but I'm not sure what the pattern is.

CraigStern

This:

private var alphabet:Array = [ "0" , "1" , "2" , "3" , "4" , "5" , "6" , "7" , "8" , "9" , "a" , "b" , "c" , "d" , "e" , "f" , "g" , "h" , "i" , "j" , "k" , "l" , "m" , "n" , "o" , "p" , "q" , "r" , "s" , "t" , "u" , "v" , "w" , "x" , "y" , "z" , "A" , "B" , "C" , "D" , "E" , "F" , "G" , "H" , "I" , "J" , "K" , "L" , "M" , "N" , "O" , "P" , "Q" , "R" , "S" , "T" , "U" , "V" , "W" , "X" , "Y" , "Z" , "!" , "@" , "#" , "$" , "%" , "^" , "_" , ":" , "&" , "*" , "(" , ")" , "|" , "+" , "-" , "=" , ">" , "<" ];

The second character's value is equal to its position in the array; the first character's value is its position in the array multiplied by the length of the array. Those two values are added together to get the integer number corresponding to the tile to be loaded.

bugfartboy

Quote from: CraigStern on May 26, 2016, 06:39:50 PM
This:

private var alphabet:Array = [ "0" , "1" , "2" , "3" , "4" , "5" , "6" , "7" , "8" , "9" , "a" , "b" , "c" , "d" , "e" , "f" , "g" , "h" , "i" , "j" , "k" , "l" , "m" , "n" , "o" , "p" , "q" , "r" , "s" , "t" , "u" , "v" , "w" , "x" , "y" , "z" , "A" , "B" , "C" , "D" , "E" , "F" , "G" , "H" , "I" , "J" , "K" , "L" , "M" , "N" , "O" , "P" , "Q" , "R" , "S" , "T" , "U" , "V" , "W" , "X" , "Y" , "Z" , "!" , "@" , "#" , "$" , "%" , "^" , "_" , ":" , "&" , "*" , "(" , ")" , "|" , "+" , "-" , "=" , ">" , "<" ];

The second character's value is equal to its position in the array; the first character's value is its position in the array multiplied by the length of the array. Those two values are added together to get the integer number corresponding to the tile to be loaded.

Thank you!  Out of curiosity, you mean 1st in counting order, rather than the array index, correct?  I know AS3 is 0-indexed, so that's why I ask.  I.e. the character's value is actually (index+1)?

CraigStern

Nope; it's the actual index value. This is why you see so many tiles with the value 01 (corresponding to tile0001 in a given tileset) and none with the value 00 (corresponding to precisely nothing).

bugfartboy

Unless I'm misunderstanding the game logs, it looks like Telepath Tactics variables are stored side-by-side in arrays: one with a string holding it's name, and another with it's value.  Is there any reason you went with this instead of, say, a Hash Table?  The sequential lookup is guaranteed to be O(n), while the hash table can operate up to O(1), or O(n) at the very worst.

CraigStern

No particular reason. I've never used hash tables. *shrug*

bugfartboy

Will the new game engine you're working on be backwards-compatible with existing Telepath Tactics campaigns, maps, etc?

CraigStern

There is guaranteed to be at least some incompatibility, in that elevation won't be abstracted via tiles anymore. Beyond that, I can't say for sure just how many differences there will be yet, but I'm looking to keep things very similar overall.

LaserTrousers

Hey Craig! I've always been a huge fan of your games, but I actually have a non-game related question. I just started at law school, and as someone who's survived it I was wondering if you had any advice?

CraigStern

Hey, congratulations on starting law school! :D I have two pieces of advice for you.

First piece of advice: study a lot. Getting good grades will help you get summer internships at places you want to eventually work.

Second piece of advice: Get summer internships at places you want to eventually work, then do stellar work while you're there--that's far and away your best chance at getting a job right out of law school.

Good luck! ;)