News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Will the new scripting system be able to add/remove/modify individual points of light, or are they hard-coded only?

Will the scripting system be able to change global weather?

CraigStern

Right now, it lacks those capabilities--I would like to add those in at some point, however!

bugfartboy

That would be pretty cool, if you get to!

If memory serves, weren't you thinking of adding a flickering or animated type of light to TT? Is the possibility for such a thing in the cards for the new engine?

CraigStern

That's certainly possible! I have so many things I need to do, though, that I'm not sure it rates. I'll add it to the "would be nice at some point in the future" list. :)

ArtDrake

Potentially silly question, but does

materials="Leather/Boiled Leather/Wood/Bronze" num="1-5" chance="20">Armored Plating,Light Plating,GEN:Main Gauche,

imply leather parrying daggers? Or is there some cool functionality giving each item, like, a list of allowable materials, so then the true list of materials an item can be made from is the intersection of its shop list and its inherent list? And if so, does something bad happen if the intersection is empty?

CraigStern

Quote from: ArtDrake on August 21, 2018, 10:15:14 AM
materials an item can be made from is the intersection of its shop list and its inherent list?

Yup! Different item types have a hard-coded list of materials they can be generated from, and shops can stock generated items produced using some subset of that hard-coded master list.

Ertxiem

I wonder how you got the idea to add the possibility of the characters being sick. Any recent event, perhaps?  :)
Quote from: CraigStern on December 10, 2018, 05:26:19 PM
[...]
-- wrote new event: Sick (a character comes down with an illness for 1-3 weeks).
[...]

Season greetings
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Quote from: Ertxiem on December 13, 2018, 08:47:14 AM
I wonder how you got the idea to add the possibility of the characters being sick. Any recent event, perhaps?  :)

Heh. Well, I did get saddled with a cold for a few weeks after Thanksgiving, so maybe that put sickness in the forefront of my mind! However, I've been wanting to develop systems for emergent (and persisting) character states with consequences for their behavior in and out of battle for years now (see e.g. item 6 in this article).

With the mood system now implemented in the new engine, it occurred to me that it could easily handle behavioral modifications from physical maladies as well--so adding in a Sick status effect to complement it was a natural next step. :)

Ertxiem

I like that idea. While I was reading it, I wondered, have you considered to have characters in love? It may not affect their stats, but it could have some consequences like the pair wishing to be together.

Regarding you being sick, I wonder where I got that idea.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

CraigStern

Quote from: Ertxiem on December 13, 2018, 05:05:43 PM
I like that idea. While I was reading it, I wondered, have you considered to have characters in love?

Yyyyyyup. ;)

Ertxiem

Quote from: CraigStern on December 14, 2018, 04:27:51 PM
[...]
-- new special character: -DAYOFTHEWEEK-. Returns an integer value between 0 and 6 representing whatever day of the week it currently is in-game.
[...]
I was wondering out of curiosity: how easy would it be to have custom durations for "months" and "weeks"?
For instance, would it be possible to have a month with 6 weeks with 5 days each?

Cheers

Ert
Ert, the Dead Cow.

CraigStern

I am planning to support custom calendars with customizable number (and names) of months, numbers of weeks in a month, and number of days in a week. However, I am not planning to support variations between months in terms of number of days, nor am I currently planning to support months with durations not evenly divisible by the days in a week. Those latter features would be annoying to implement, and for little discernable benefit.

Sythion

Was wondering, is the soundtrack in TSoG inspired by George Wintson? Some of the music is very similiar.
Hunger is the best spice.

CraigStern

Nope. (I'm not actually sure who that is!)

Sythion

(Sorry for late reply) He's a pianist, this particular piece heavily reminded me of your work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMTCCq8Y4TE
Hunger is the best spice.