News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

The Chicago Cultural Center was an interesting visit, especially the digital flowers exhibit they had set up. Thanks for the recommendation! It's a shame the offices of Sinister Design don't offer public tours, though.

Quote from: CraigStern on October 31, 2019, 10:02:27 AM

-- two new operators are supported when altering integer values: f and c. These impose a floor and ceiling, respectively, on the named value.

For instance:

SetVal/MoralePenalty,f:2

This will check the value of the custom integer MoralePenalty; if MoralePenalty is found to be less than 2, it will then be set equal to 2.

This reminds me, does the new system support a RemoveVal/ValName action? One thing I remember from playing around with the old engine's scripting system is that it was too easy to leave orphaned or one-use variables in the save file. A way to clean up after myself would be convenient.

CraigStern

Ha, nice. :)

There is not currently a RemoveVal action, but it's easily added!

Sythion

Any plans on doing another "This year in indie rpgs" for your website?
Hunger is the best spice.

CraigStern

Acxeleon

So, this question comes from me watching different stuff, combining ideas of what I've seen and such. Wouldn't Tychokinesis work in the Telepath games? I mean, you have the kinetic blasts that burn, freeze, slow, blind. But what about a blast that would lower the chance to dodge? Not only that but as a supporting tychokinetic skill, the user would improve the accuracy of a friendly character. and as the AOE / Multiple hit skill we could have a blast that goes in a sort of line that hits multiple enemies and would apply on hit effects. :P Would this be viable in future games?

CraigStern

Hi Acxeleon! That's a great question with an apparently rather long answer. :D

So, to begin with, Telepath Tactics definitely supports skills that affect the target's dodge--you'd just need to make sure that their affecting attribute in Attacks.xml says Dodge instead of Health.

That aside, there are a few conditions that already drop the target's dodge chance to zero: namely, if they're swimming, slowed, or blinded. Because of this, any skill that imparts Slowed or Blinded status, or that dunks a character into water or lava, will have the effect of eliminating any dodge chance the target possesses! In the new engine I'm working on (based off of the old Telepath Tactics system!) there is an additional status effect (Immobilized) that drops Dodge to zero, and Frozen and Stunned have that Dodge-eliminating effect as well.

The upshot of all this is, I'm not sure it would be super useful to have skills that focus exclusively on lowering Dodge when there are so many skills that accomplish this same thing--but I do really like the idea of having a buff that boosts Accuracy! That would be great for Bowmen, and it would be especially useful in the new engine (where having an Accuracy above 100 makes status effects more likely to take hold).

Thank you for the suggestion!

Acxeleon

Without giving too much away, will we be seeing a new race debut in this new game of yours? Follow up question, might I give out another suggestion or possible idea in a private message?

CraigStern

I'm sticking to the six species represented in Telepath Tactics for this next title--there will be new classes, though! :)

And sure, you can make requests for features however you like.

Sythion

With Together in Battle now revealed, is the Telepath Tactics remaster on the backburner now?

Although, since they have the same engine I could imagine the dev log is *also* for the remaster.

CraigStern

Quote from: Sythion on February 23, 2020, 12:25:23 AM
With Together in Battle now revealed, is the Telepath Tactics remaster on the backburner now?

Although, since they have the same engine I could imagine the dev log is *also* for the remaster.

Most likely I'll be releasing TiB first--but yes, since they share the same engine, progress on one is essentially progress on the other. :)

Sythion

Is there a tentative release date for TiB? And just wanted to say, the teaser trailer looks great, and music a solid 10/10!

CraigStern

Thank you! The best I can say right now is "2021." I'd like to have it out earlier rather than later, but we'll see how much progress I make.

Ertxiem

Congrats on the approval of your Steam page!

On a different note, were you applying some corona-virus safety measures to the particles? :P
Quote from: CraigStern on March 12, 2020, 05:29:57 PM
[...}
-- 2D particle effects now have an optional "enforce minimum distance" attribute that prevents them from randomly spawning clustered too close together
[...]
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Ha ha! Cute. :)

I was mostly just trying to keep particles from spawning directly on top of each other (which doesn't matter so much when there's a ton of them, but when you only spawn 2 or 3, it's pretty noticeable).

CraigStern