News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Yawah

Started by Steelfist, April 20, 2010, 11:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

It's not. I already clicked it. :/ It just revealed the Answer.

Deagonx

Maybe he was a creation of the cult to manipulate the masses.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

Tastidian

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 20, 2010, 02:03:31 PM
Quote from: Steelfist on April 20, 2010, 11:29:02 AM
I was wondering exactly who or what yawah is; Is he even real, or just a fabrication of the cult?
Couldn't you ask that the same question about any religion and not really know the answer?
You might as well ask why Scientology is a religion.
Yawah I think is just a figure used for mass propaganda like Hitler used against the Jews. The cult can easily take control that way or at least with less stress. 

Sir Bodnaruk

I think Yawah was just a lie in order for Cygnus and other cult members to gain power.

Cygnus and other members of the cult are powerful psys. They purge other psys because they wouldn't want such a threat to stand against them.

Right after you defeat the bandits and a strange voice talks to you alone this could be evidence of a very powerful psy speaking to you over a great distance. A.K.A Cygnus.

Evidence to support the fact that The cult members are actually a bunch of powerful psy members is that [spoiler]if you choice to side with the cult during the "Raid the Armory" mission you get an end game message detailing your rise within the cult and the fact that they accept the fact you're a psy. I believe you even become very close with Cygnus.[/spoiler]

Timman183

Quote from: SteelFist on May 06, 2010, 03:14:05 PM
That's the point! By the time you get to the end of the game, virtually nothing can challenge you! Take TPRG 2. It required a apparently immortal spirit to even make you pause. And the battle was still pretty easy, I must admit.

I very much hope that you get to fight Yawah. It would be fun.

Plus "nameless one" who is believed to have killed nelis is the one training Hero anyway so if his wisdom is passed into the next god killer.

Chocobo_Fan

Hm. Well, as of the full game's ending:
[spoiler]
It's still open-ended. Cygnus isn't Yahweh, as I thought originally. In fact, you can talk him down during the final battle by besting him in a theological debate. So he seems to honestly believe in Yahweh -- he isn't simply making it up for his own gain. But then, how is he a "prophet"? Where do his visions come from? Where did the vision after the bandit mission come from? He also uses very strange abilities when you fight him -- he is able to make copies of himself, create solid state shields, and even perform a mass teleportation. Now granted, we don't know the actual limitations of psychic powers in this setting, but that seems like something out of the ordinary to me. The fact that he has Mass Juxtapose, a spirit-based ability, also lends credence to his gaining powers by another source. Still, I do like the theory that the cultists are psys who don't realize they're psys -- they think their powers are divinely granted. But then, where did those high-level Scans that the Nameless One mentioned come from?! Agh...
The ending is just so unsatisfying! :( I really hope we get a sequel, there are just too many things left open.
[/spoiler]

Zackirus

Quote from: Chocobo_Fan on February 20, 2012, 12:22:51 PM
The ending is just so unsatisfying!

Craig left it open for that reason; and,  I finally understand what Craig thinks about religion. It's not about being 'right' or 'wrong' in terms of your God. It's about what your religion does as a whole to other people, does it help the poor or kill Heretics?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Chocobo_Fan

I can see why Craig left the "big question" open, but my main objection was to the little details. I don't mind the game being ambiguous on the existence of Yahwah -- that's kind of the point -- but weird things like the visions definitely happened. There's also the matter of Fernatus and Malekahin knowing the Resistance's plans in advance despite the Nameless One running obfuscation, plus the high-level Scan he mentioned, which is evidence of a psy. Those things definitely happened and must have a tangible explanation. These dangling plot threads aren't necessarily related to the big question of Yahwah's existence, yet they're all dropped without a further mention. This just bothers me.

CraigStern

As Zackirus suggests, I don't want there to be a satisfying, pat answer for the question "does Yawah exist?"

If you want a non-religious explanation for the visions, you may recall that Rahel offers you one shortly after you have them. As for the other stuff...I prefer to keep my mouth shut for the time being. :)

Zackirus

Quote from: Chocobo_Fan on February 20, 2012, 02:25:37 PM
...but weird things like the visions definitely happened.

As Rahel mentions, it could possibly be just dehydration. However, another possibility is that their is a God in the Telepath Universe (A.K.A: Craig Stren :P) and chooses to revel himself to people at different times. However, it is up to a person to interpret that message.

...There's also the matter of Fernatus and Malekahin knowing the Resistance's plans in advance despite the Nameless One running obfuscation...

Their are many types of Psys in the Telepath Universe, one type is a Seer, an example of which is http://telepath.wikia.com/wiki/Malignus_(Spriggat), who are able to see the future, or in Malignus' case be able to relive it, however, they might been able to see the future.

...plus the high-level Scan he mentioned, which is evidence of a psy. Those things definitely happened and must have a tangible explanation.

As the trainer says, their is a difference between lying and self delusion
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

I found Cygnus more relatable when I leaned that his actions are motivated by an actually belief in Yawah. Cygnus would be much more evil if wanted to grab power, and then used religious beliefs to do so.

Long story short, Cygnus didn't make up a religion or Yawah.

Chocobo_Fan

Quote from: CraigStern on February 20, 2012, 02:42:59 PM
As for the other stuff...I prefer to keep my mouth shut for the time being. :)

Is that a hint of a sequel I hear? :D

QuoteTheir are many types of Psys in the Telepath Universe, one type is a Seer, an example of which is http://telepath.wikia.com/wiki/Malignus_(Spriggat), who are able to see the future, or in Malignus' case be able to relive it, however, they might been able to see the future.

Ah, I see. That would fit with the theory that they're psys but don't realize it. That would mean that Cygnus is just a very powerful Seer who thinks that his visions are granted to him by Yahwah.

Alternatively, we could take a middle option that I think someone proposed earlier: Yahwah can grant the powers of the Gift to devout believers, but people who are born with the Gift are anomalies, and that's why Yahwah hates them.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on February 20, 2012, 03:46:07 PMTheir are many types of Psys in the Telepath Universe, one type is a Seer, an example of which is Malignus, who are able to see the future, or in Malignus' case be able to relive it, however, they might been able to see the future.
I don't know think that "Seer" is a real psy class.  I think Some Other Guy make up a class and added it to the wiki.