News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Some suggestions for Liberated Edition

Started by Sythion, November 16, 2021, 02:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sythion

1) By default, have player characters avoid pathing into dangerous terrain if they can go around for same move distance. Examples being a player-laid snare or a campfire.

2) Status duration. For example a unit pushed down from high up gets stunned for 2 turns but at a glance no way to know. Even worse if player had to leave and come back. Shield buffs too.
EDIT: Very important for Blind too, to know if unit is still harmless the following turn or not.

3) A way to cycle through all visible foes on the map so player can more easily look at their stats/equipment.

4) Minimap. On bigger maps it can be tedious to keep track of, let alone notice all foes/chests initial locations.

5) Option to always display hp bars so player can tell at a glance status of a unit, allied or foe.

6) A way to display enemy "damage" from the mouse-over that currently shows movement and the like. Maybe something like "12-15" to account for different skill damages and/or distance penalty on ranged skills. This would be to let player know what threats to keep an eye out for with just a mouseover instead of having to open the full info.

7) Telegraph incoming enemy spawns. In defend the camp mission there were several cases of foe spawning and attacking an exposed unit without any means of counterplay.

8) to avoid going into the full info, display dropped items in the mouse-over info could be nice.

9) Most missions have a time limit, could be nice if there was a toggle to allow a more casual player to take their time with more of them.

10) Not sure if this would work with current AI, but it occurred to me height manipulation could be a fun tool to add to current options. Something such as being able to turn a tree into a 2-tall ladder or a bridge via non-engineer units, or letting an engineer "dig" dirt to either raise or lower terrain by 1. The former to make a ranged unit platform or a ramp and the latter to force foes through a poor position or ramp.
Hunger is the best spice.

Sythion

Wanted to also mention fruit trees look very similar to normal ones with new graphics, in the older version it was very clear at a glance what kind they were.

CraigStern

Thanks for the suggestions!

By "display dropped items," do you mean "display the items a character can drop as part of their mouseover tooltip"? (I actually implemented that for item sacks!)

The fruit tree graphics actually haven't changed since the original game--if they're harder to spot, it's probably just because there are more kinds of trees around in the Out of Food Battle now.

Sythion

Quote from: CraigStern on November 17, 2021, 12:34:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

By "display dropped items," do you mean "display the items a character can drop as part of their mouseover tooltip"? (I actually implemented that for item sacks!)

The fruit tree graphics actually haven't changed since the original game--if they're harder to spot, it's probably just because there are more kinds of trees around in the Out of Food Battle now.

I just want to see this be as good as possible! Having played many SRPGs, certain features from others seem like they could be good QoL here.

Exactly what I meant with items. Although UI clutter may become an issue especially on smaller displays. Will say, being able to see what's inside a sack with only a mouseover is great already!

I misremembered about the trees, Steam screenshots even show as much. They're not easy to tell apart without looking closely, nearly missed my free apples in Hills of Coria! For accessibility, would making the difference more noticeable be possible down the line?

EDIT: Wanted to add, I love there's promotion options now. Adds to replayability! Hopefully balance wont be an issue.

CraigStern