News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Posting Practice Thread

Started by KZ, February 07, 2010, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Right, now that we've moved forums, we have a slightly different system, somewhat, of adding extra features to your post apart from text. Some of you may know the system inside-out, whilst others have just started to slowly get their way around it.
This thread is for those who would like to vary their posts a little and to experiment around with tags (and hence, not clutter up the forums elsewhere): thus experiment away, create a post, then modify it as many times as you like until you get a desired result. Also, let the rest of us share in on your know-how so that we can all make full use of these forums. ;)
I'll then periodically purge this thread of experimental posts, keeping everything nice and tidy. :)

So, here is a useful code for hyperlinking to a word:
[http://url=www.somekindofaddress.com]here[/url]
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

CraigStern

Here is a tip for posting spoilers: SMF forums has a lot of cool features that the old forums didn't have, but unfortunately, spoiler tags are a feature the old forums had that the new forums don't. You can get around the problem a few ways. One is to make the text really small, so that an interested reader has to copy-paste it elsewhere to decipher it: like this.

[size=2pt]like this.[/size]

Another potential method is to change the text color to beige (although that runs the risk of becoming legible if the forums ever change themes): like this.

[color=beige]like this.[/color]

Zhampir

Another way to cover up a spoiler is to use the glow command in combination with the change color text command (highlight the phrase to see the words)
meep! you've found me!
[color=limegreen][glow=limegreen,2,300]meep! you've found me![/glow][/color]

hellboy222

yeah I think the glow is best also the tag things is easy but that's because I've dabbled in html tags

CraigStern

Fair warning: I'm using my dad's computer right now, and on his browser (Internet Explorer 7), the glow text appears like ordinary, legible text with a green halo around it. It's the first time I've seen that, but then again, I always use Firefox.

Zhampir

I have Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox and neither have the issue you're describing, Craig.

Edit: I also do not see a problem in Google Chrome.^.^

KZ

Hmm, that's interesting, but then again, IE7 market share is waning, the younger, more internet-savvy generation of players is likely to use more "trendy" browsers like Chrome or Firefox, so I guess most of the folks wouldn't notice anything wrong with it.  Point taken, however, so I guess it's up to us to word your posts whilst trying not to give away too many sploilers.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

hellboy222

We could do it like this. If you wanna be extra careful, just you gotta watch how many spoilers you post in one post if you use this way.

spoiler
ha ha made you look.
end spoiler

Zhampir

I personally think that idea is hilarious.^^
KZ from now on all spoilers must be done like that lmao.
or even
Spoiler!
meep!
End!

hellboy222

Frosty

Quote from: hellboy222 on February 09, 2010, 12:05:58 AM
yeah I think the glow is best also the tag things is easy but that's because I've dabbled in html tags
I can see right through the green, is that normal?
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Zhampir

that was reported by Craig when he used an outdated version of internet explorer.

Frosty

No, its not just a green halo. I can see the text through the green typing, I have the newest version of Windows, so its working fine for me.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Zhampir

huh... anyways we have a new spoiler feature so that shouldn't be an issue once all the topics are updated.