News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Download Broken? (Mac)

Started by CalaNat, May 10, 2023, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalaNat

Hi there,

In the off chance someone sees this -

I remember spending hours playing the Telepath games on Kongregate as a kid, and was feeling nostalgic so I looked up Sinister and was stoked to see that TSOG was still for sale. Thought I'd try the demo first and make sure if I can get it working my old Mac (OS 10.14), but no luck. I had no trouble installing Air, the TechSpot link worked just fine. I also didn't see any of the errors in old forum posts and the FAQ (no "installer file is damaged" error). Everything goes smoothly until I start the game, and it immediately crashes with a "TSOG has quit unexpectedly" message. I tried uninstalling both and turning the clock back anyway, but it didn't work. I also tried changing the clock mid process and installing only Air 'in 2016' then TSOG in 2023, and vice versa.

Crash logs say Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)

Are there any new instructions to be had? Or is the game too old to support now?

CraigStern

Hi CalaNat! This sounds like an issue with the way that Mac OS is interacting with Adobe Air--issues like this were known to occur back back around the time this game came out (see e.g. here).

Although Air is no longer supported by Adobe, it is supposedly still being developed and supported by Harman. Maybe someone there can shed some light on the issue?

CalaNat

Hi!  Thanks for the response.  I followed the Harman link and did a bit of poking around.  It looks like the issue I was experiencing was related to the AIR download from TechSpot.

I found the Harman page to download the runtime app - https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime
There are two versions, the latest + an older version that still contains WebKit.  The latest version prompted the same errors, but build 33 with Webkit is working.

I hope anyone else with the same problem can benefit from this thread!