News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Hero skill system

Started by laserpants13, February 08, 2010, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laserpants13

Although I love the game, tsog doesn't seem to have a very complex skill system for the hero. I do appreciate the leveling up system, but the skill set seems to simplified. Games such as Sonny 1 & 2, and Sinjid: Shadow of the Warrior both have more complex skill trees, and I think a similar tree or a more comprehensive skill set would give players a wider range of options in developing their character. Any ideas on this?

KZ

I tend to disagree with that: a more complex system is what makes Sonny and the others rather annoying to play for me- it's much the same with little bits and bobs added on. I think that the powerful selling point of TSoG is the relative simplisity of the skill tree, as it allows the player to concentrate more on the tactics and strategy, rather than the random % hitting, much the same atatcks. Here, even those few simple attack make for very different tactics needed- if you have a Hero with Cryo Cross or Light Blast, the same map will be played on a completely different degree of aggression from the player, and different stats are more likely to be leveled up for the Hero.

Anyhow, welcome to the forums, play the games, read the rules and enjoy your stay!
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

CraigStern

It's not a terrible idea, but I've avoided it largely because this is a team tactics game. Sinjid (and to a lesser extent, Sonny) are almost exclusively focused on the main character's progression. Heck, in Sinjid, you didn't even have other characters! You just fought every battle on your own.

So maybe you should think of it this way: when you choose your teammates and decide how to train them, you're effectively doing the same thing you'd be doing with a skill tree in those other games: namely, customizing the abilities and possible moves you'll have at your disposal in combat.

laserpants13

Sorry, guess I should have worded myself more clearly. I kind of just listed those games as general examples. I do see you point, craig, and I for the large majority I agree with you. It just seems somewhat frustrating at times to:
a) not be able to see the skill possibilities

and b) have little customization of skill set

I think that perhaps having the skills laid out as you level up would allow for some forethought as to how to level up the characters. Also, perhaps a skill chart with cross-character dependency would also add to the interdependent tactics feel of the game. Just a thought.

KZ

I see your point there, laserpants13, I guess it usually isn't an obstacle because in TRPG2 there was a linear development of skills and in the TSoG demo most users have played through the game already at least once, so they know what to expect. Now that the main character can be customized, it seems like the first play-through is meant to be a journey of discovery for those who are playing the first time. My recommendation would be, at the point of choosing the Hero's affinity, to save the game in different slots and develop the character with each affinity, see where it takes you. Plus, if you're not one for surprised, you can go conservative and choose Heat, and have the same attacks as the Main from TRPG2. (The rest of the attacks remain the same.) Also, if the player played through TRPG2 prior to that, he or she will know the attacks for Shadow and Light as well.
Just curious, given that the "tree" branches out at only one point, would you rather have the full tree uncovered, or find out as you play along (I guess that really depends on the person's taste here)?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

laserpants13

As for the tree being uncovered or not, I suppose uncovered in full would help a bit, but as you said, that's anyone's preference. I was also thinking that perhaps the tree could branch at more than one point, but I do see your point(s) about the tactics emphasis. I was also thinking that perhaps a cross-character dependent skill tree would be an interesting twist. That is, character x would be unable to learn a certain skill until character y learned a certain skill. If laid out right, this could add a really interesting aspect to the strategy of training up characters.

Frosty

Really, I think that if the tree uncovered or not is user preference, why not just put it in the begining options?
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

CraigStern

I'm just curious: the way things are currently coded in-game, you'll learn the most powerful new skill you're able to learn any time you click New Skill rather than progressing from least to most powerful. Do you like it that way, or would you rather see it done in order?

Zhampir

I'd rather to be able to choose from a list of skills that are availible.

KZ

I agree, 'cause sometimes I want to skip a skill (e.g. elemental shield when going for feedback early in the game), and having a list of abilities which the Hero can learn given his current level would allow for greater versatility. The practical side is also important: if the players don't have much gold in the beginning of the game, then they'll have to be highly selective of the abilities they pick up (e.g. for Set, one might skip all attacks and go for Big Shield, thus saving around 1000 gold).   
On the other hand, this isn't something that siginificantly affects the game-play experience, it's more percieved as more of a given, a set of challenges to overcome with skills uncovered in particular order.
Welcome to the forums!

Zhampir

I think the mind shields, however, should come in some sort of unchangable order as they build on eachother, not a separate attack all together.

Frosty

Make it so like, you can't have Dark Vortex without Shadow Blast, and Cyro Cross without Cyro Blast. Whenever you click new skill, a little list should appear showing available skills, and their cost. You would know when to look because it would say availible or unavailable when you went over it, or something like that.

Zhampir

So Like Two Skill Sets, the affinity set, and the Mind Shield Set. It could be set up like a table
Fire
Cold
Light
Shadow   
Melee
Shield
Skill 1
Skill 1
Skill 1     
""
Skill 2   
""
Though I'd prefer a more asthetically pleasing approach, I post a horrible drawn sketch of my thoughts later.

Frosty

Basically, Zhamphir hit exactly what I was thinking.

KZ

That does make sense- certainly having one skill develop from the other (I sort of naturally assumed that it is implied), if they're element and attack/defense related. Then have Feedback as a separate one as well. Though this will probably be most important for the Hero, as in most other cases there is already a natural tendence for some skills to come after others and no need to deviate and choose between them.
Welcome to the forums!