News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Soul Capacitor from Gelf?

Started by algebra15, July 09, 2010, 04:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Quote from: algebra15 on July 20, 2010, 08:21:17 PM
I wasn't thinking that they'd have to use the Souls for Soul Charges; what if they could be used for...

• Powering home appliances
  • Running / Operating "Gaggets"
  • Disposable dance partners for lonely Gelfs (maybe not  :()
  • Powering up broken-down Bronze Golems as a service to the Mechanics (You bring a few souls, and the Gelves power up a Bronze Golem; quite a racket for the Gelves, right?
Wood-Folk are "Folk-of-the-Woods" that means they live off of the forest instead of technology.  Wood-Folk wouldn't use gaggets or home appliances.  They lack the sence of how a lamp works and that is why they put an indigo orb in a lamp.  If they don't understand how to work a lamp then how are they gong to fix a broken-down Bronze Golem.  Plus, how would soul charges be used as a power source?

Xemadus Echina

why don't we take this a step farther.  How is it ANYTHING in TRPG even exists?  It's all physically impossible so why create any of it? 
Sometimes things don't have to add up.  Especially in games like this.  It doesn't really matter if it makes sense as long as it helps to make the game enjoyable.  All throughout the game I have NEVER lost a unit.  I'm not even totally sure how the revive system works in this one XD.  But still, back to my point.  In a game if everything makes sense then it just looses a sense of mystery.  If you have something that is just strange and off the walls then it keeps people guessing as to what will come next like "If this can happen here then what'll happen there?"  It creates a sense of excitement for the player.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

algebra15

This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

algebra15

Some people uber-train. Some people are simply very good at strategy. For whatever the reason, they don't have to revive people. What else are they going to do with their Soul Charges? If you have a better idea for how to get rid of excess Souls, enlighten the world.

Barzul

But if we are running into the energy of souls making a power source outside of resurrection, not only are we crossing some deep moral bridges there, but it certainly sounds a lot like Mako and Materia in FF7, or the exshperes in Tale of Symphonia.

For that matter, what exactly is a soul charge? Is it the actual person's soul, the energy of the person's soul, the amount of power that was in the person's body when they died, etc.?

I too have never used a Soul charge. And its more of the fact that I will completely restart a mission from before whomever died than just finish up the mission with that one death rather than grinding.

algebra15

Then maybe there could be a dialogue option with Luca to... release all the Soul Charges?

I just don't like the idea of having more and more Souls just because Soul Suck is a useful, Psy-less attack, with a range of 2 that my ghost unit can use.

Xemadus Echina

Quote from: im2smart4u on July 21, 2010, 01:47:49 PM
Quote from: rainen on July 21, 2010, 09:49:35 AM
All throughout the game I have NEVER lost a unit. 
You should try turning on Friendly Fire on.
alright now my single space attacks can potentially harm my own units if i'm facing the wrong way! whohoo! oh and nice redundancy ;)
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

KZ

Well, seems like TSoG is starting to do what it's intened to do- raise some unpleasant questions, especially in the morality and ethics department.

It is a tad cruel, isn't it- taking someone's soul then reviving a teammate using it and, in the process, somehow discarding it. Does the soul feel uncomfortable? What happens to it? Or is it the life energy of a being, hence called soul charge, rather than the soul itself? How does Soul Suck work? Does it slowly, but surely nibble away at an enemy's soul, ripping it into little pieces, like humans eating a pie?

On topic though- I don't think Gelves would have the ability to construct such a complicated device- after all, they are not potent Gift users and, as im2msart4u put it, they feed off natural products, they don't feast on technology, and a soul capacitor does sound like a difficult device to make!

I agree with Barzul there as well- I think Craig should add in extra dialogue to allow players to release the soul charges, unless that's just energy stored from ripping a soul out of the body it occupies (bit like fission- energy is released when an atom is split up). Methinks it would be a good idea to ask Craig to define what a soul charge is, as it will have direct implications on the ethics of what Luca does.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Barzul

But then it might be a question of if Luca will. She seems to be getting a little dark after offering to kill the entire crowd chasing you after you have rescued your parents. And you have to wonder how she got those 50 soul charges she has at the start of the game.

SmartyPants

I understand if you have more Soul Charges then you know what to do with, but "Soul Capacitor from Gelf" is a terrible solution.  I am not against getting rid of useless soul charges.  I am against bad ideas that don't fit into the Telepath world.

Steelfist

The idea may have potential, and there does need to be a use for excess souls, but a soul capacitor doesn't seem to be the solution.

cyso

I'm not much in favor of the soul capacitor either, but I do agree that it is easy to end up with more soul charges than you need. If I played the entire game, I could probably get by with only having to use the 30 soul charges Luca has at the beginning at the most.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

algebra15

Okay, maybe it was a bit out of place; I was of the idea that the Gelves just found it somewhere and were using it, like with the gaggets.

I still would like to see some sort of monetary compensation for the Soul Charges, perhaps. But if that is not meant to be, it would still be good to have a way to get rid of those extra Soul Charges.

KZ

It seems that quite a few of us, myself included, are against the idea of a "soul capacitor", but are interested in finding a way of getting rid of excess Soul Charges.
Thus, I'll start a new topic with regards to that.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!