News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Orb Ideas

Started by SmartyPants, August 20, 2010, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Quote from: rainen on August 27, 2010, 12:37:28 PMsilver orb: makes the elemental blast attack range 3 and piercing.
I don't think elemental blasts can be piercing.  Plus, it might be overly complex for orbs to mess with established attacks.  It seems easier for the orbs to just create new attacks.

Quote from: rainen on August 27, 2010, 12:37:28 PMgolden orb: adds 5 damage and increases the size of your elemental area attack
for pyro hail it would be a 5 by 5 plus sign, cyro cross would get +1 range and dark vortex and light blast would be a 5x5 blast.
Based on TPA2's orbs, we can assume the Golden Orb will regenrates up to 20 hp per turn.

Quote from: Steelfist on August 27, 2010, 07:43:49 AMAn orb that lets you learn Fire Gate? Maybe; it might be a bit OP, though.
I had a similar idea.  The Crimson Orb gives the TRPG2 Pyro Hail, so it would be logical for the Crimson Orb to give the Heat affinity Duvalier Fire Gate.  I didn't suggest it earlier, because I wanted to avoid a debate about what attacks the Crimson Orb gives the other three elemental affinities.

Quote from: Zackirus on August 20, 2010, 02:30:11 PMGrey Orb: Gives Duvalier mental-resistance
Based on Fernatus, we know that mental resistance is possible.  I like it, but the grey orb may appear as the same color as the Crystal Orb.

Xemadus Echina

here's an idea for the crimson orb bit.  You have a crimson orb,an azul orb (or any other icy color) then I guess a clear orb (for light since light is all the visible colors) and a carbon orb for shadow (carbon is almost black right?)
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

bugfartboy

The crystal orb is for physical resistance. Why not just do one orb that gives you an uber area attack for your affinity?

Ertxiem

Quote from: rainen on August 27, 2010, 12:37:28 PM
here's my idea for the orb that modifies your element.

silver orb: makes the elemental blast attack range 3 and piercing.
golden orb: adds 5 damage and increases the size of your elemental area attack
for pyro hail it would be a 5 by 5 plus sign, cyro cross would get +1 range and dark vortex and light blast would be a 5x5 blast.
While I'm here i'll just post possible methods of getting the orbs.
for the silver orb: 1v1 against a silver colored shadow beast that has your stats +5 (doesn't include orbs)
for the golden orb: team vs team of golden colored shadow beasts who all have your teams' stats +5

The silver orb seems to be close to what a Spriggat's breath 2 attack does. I think it would be better to have unique attacks to each character.

The golden orb seems too powerful. The elemental area attacks already covers a large area. Increasing it would mean that more than 25% of the battlefield is covered, since the regular map size is 11x8, or 88 squares. And the PsP that such an attack would cost would be huge!

What about an orb giving mini elemental area attacks. With lower range, we could benefit from a lower PsP cost.
Mini light bomb and mini dark vortex would be + shaped with the same centre, and mini cryo cross would be a 3x3 square centred on Duvalier, but I don't know what shape to choose for mini pyro cross, perhaps - shaped, like Dorgon's burst shoot attack. Another option would be an orb that would give elemental area attacks with different shapes, or diagonal elemental blasts.

[spoiler=Alternative elemental area attacks]
Alternative pyro hail:
OODOO
OXOXO
OOXOO
OXOXO

Alternative cryo cross:
OOXOO
OXDXO
XXXXX
OXXXO
OOXOO

Alternative dark vortex:
OODOO
OXXXO
XXXXX
OOXOO
OOOOO

Alternative light bomb:
OODOO
OOOOO
OOOOO
OXXXO
XXXXX
OOXOO
[/spoiler]
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 29, 2010, 10:25:14 PM
Why not just do one orb that gives you an uber area attack for your affinity?
I agree with bugfartboy.  I perfer to just have the crimson orb vs rainen's alternative of a new orb for every element.

Quote from: Ertxiem on August 30, 2010, 05:47:42 AM
What about an orb giving mini elemental area attacks. With lower range, we could benefit from a lower PsP cost.
Mini light bomb and mini dark vortex would be + shaped with the same centre, and mini cryo cross would be a 3x3 square centred on Duvalier, but I don't know what shape to choose for mini pyro cross, perhaps - shaped, like Dorgon's burst shoot attack. Another option would be an orb that would give elemental area attacks with different shapes, or diagonal elemental blasts.
Your idea doesn't make sence.  If the orbs boost a psy's power, then why would he only be able to make a large area attack without the orb, yet only able to make a small area attack with the orb.

I think the crimson orb doesn't need to increase the number of spaces hit, but needs an altertative area attack that does more damage per space, then the none orb area attack. (Plus, it would cost more PsP.)

bugfartboy

Maybe something like holy blast? Except it spreads equal damage. But low damage.

SmartyPants

Quote from: bugfartboy on August 30, 2010, 01:49:21 PM
Maybe something like holy blast? Except it spreads equal damage. But low damage.
I don't like Holy Blast as a non-boss attack.  It lacks strategy.

bugfartboy

Alright. What about like Fire Gate. Small damage to the surrounding 8 squares?

Ertxiem

Quote from: im2smart4u on August 30, 2010, 01:30:51 PM
[...]
Your idea doesn't make sence.  If the orbs boost a psy's power, then why would he only be able to make a large area attack without the orb, yet only able to make a small area attack with the orb.
[...]
The damage of the mini elemental area attack could be significantly higher. That, together with lower PsP cost, would give and advantage over the normal elemental area attack.

Any thoughts on the diagonal elemental blasts?

In the wiki, Fire Gate gives equal damage to all opponents.
Ert, the Dead Cow.

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on August 28, 2010, 10:21:28 AM
Quote from: Steelfist on August 27, 2010, 07:43:49 AMAn orb that lets you learn Fire Gate? Maybe; it might be a bit OP, though.
I had a similar idea.  The Crimson Orb gives the TRPG2 Pyro Hail, so it would be logical for the Crimson Orb to give the Heat affinity Duvalier Fire GateI didn't suggest it earlier, because I wanted to avoid a debate about what attacks the Crimson Orb gives the other three elemental affinities.

Does anyone have any other orb suggestions?

SmartyPants

Brown Orb- the orb makes Duvalier more attentive, therefore he gains more experience every time he attacks.  This will help players level up attacks.

MikeW781

Thats a good one. Maybe an increase from .03 exp to .05?
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Ertxiem

Ert, the Dead Cow.

bugfartboy

I was thinking of a brown orb but im2smart4u beat me to it. I didn't think of the extra experience.

Cypher