News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Orb Ideas

Started by SmartyPants, August 20, 2010, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on September 03, 2010, 10:37:49 PM
Quote from: MikeW781 on September 03, 2010, 05:27:33 PM
Quote from: KZ on September 03, 2010, 05:18:12 PM
For "mental resistance", actually, maybe because it will significantly reduce the damage of the most potent enemies Craig will not include it because it is... too powerful! That's a possibility.
Too powerful? The strongest enemies all used elemental blasts in TRPG2, and I don't see that changing because they are larger and stronger blasts. Fernatus didn't even have Mind Blast, and he's the only boss we fought.
You avoid my earlier question.  Do you think the White Orb shouldn't be included in the game, because there are not enough Light-using enemies?  If you don't think the mental resistance orb should be included because it is not useful enough, then you should also wish for Craig to not include the White Orb.
I used the White Orb in TRPG2, both for fighting Golems, Nelis, Tastidian, and the Psy Acadamey battles. I found it very useful.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

SmartyPants

Quote from: MikeW781 on September 04, 2010, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: im2smart4u on September 03, 2010, 10:37:49 PMYou avoid my earlier question.  Do you think the White Orb shouldn't be included in the game, because there are not enough Light-using enemies?  If you don't think the mental resistance orb should be included because it is not useful enough, then you should also wish for Craig to not include the White Orb.
I used the White Orb in TRPG2, both for fighting Golems, Nelis, Tastidian, and the Psy Acadamey battles. I found it very useful.
I don't think we are going to refight Nelis, Tastidian, or Dean Lukas in TSoG, so I don't think that is a good bases to keep the White Orb. In TPA2 (which is closer to TSoG then TRPG2), there are only two enemies that use light attacks and one of those enemies uses mind blast too.  In TSoG, we will be facing mental attack users such as spirits, shadowlings, and possible capes.

It is ridiculous to reject the mental resistance orb just because other orbs might me more useful for some players.  Should the crimson, indigo, and yellow orb be remove from TRPG2, because people found the green orb more useful?

Quote from: Zackirus on August 20, 2010, 02:30:11 PMGrey Orb: Gives Duvalier mental-resistance
Quote from: im2smart4u on September 01, 2010, 06:49:56 PM
Quote from: KZ on September 01, 2010, 06:40:29 PM(Just to be clear, im2msart4u,you agree with  the 3 orbs you mentioned in your first post, right?)
I agree with Beige, Red, Tan, Brown, and Grey.
Quote from: Ertxiem on September 01, 2010, 08:00:07 PMThe "mental resistance" is OK for completeness sake (since we might get all the other resistances from orbs).
Quote from: KZ on September 03, 2010, 05:18:12 PM-"mental resistance" 2/7
You may need to recount.

KZ

I deleted the off-topic posts and combined the double-post into one.
MikeW781, I would like to say exactly what I told algebra17 just on the previous page:
Quote from: KZ on September 04, 2010, 07:45:53 AM
Algebra17, just wanted to say that sometimes it's best to live something as is and move on, especially when the original argument becomes baseless through redundancy.
im2smart4u: I'll re-look into the count, but we've moved our discussion onwards to new ideas which might be better to suggest to Craig.
Cypher, Zackirus is right- let us take  care of that ;)
In any case, let's move the discussion  on: what do you think of the orb which turns immunities into resistnaces, and resitances are only half as efficient as before?
Complaints were that there is no good explanation for it, well how about this:
the orb allows the user to be more apprecaitive of the tiniest disturbances and uneven districbutions in the surrounding air on particle level. As such, Duvalier is able to see/find and exploit any minute imperfections in the enemy's defenses and thus, with the same amount of force, simply be able to apply it more effectively (for immunities- you know of bullet-proof glass, then you might know that often there is a weak-spot which allows one to break the glass, thus it may be exactly the same in this respect as well). Thus, this orb allows to exploit weakness in defense on an atomic level.

Thus, who's for and who's against an orb which:
- turns Immunity into Resistance and Resistances only reduce damage by 25%

PS
Ok, just done re-count of all orbs- Ert's was neutral, effectively, I think I skipped it last time. Thus, 3/7 which is less than 50%, thus, for now it's a no go. Let's see what other suggestions there will be- if anything is more popular, then we'll come back to it, otherwise we'll stick with more popular ideas (e.g. immunity/resistance orb might be more popular, etc).
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

ArtDrake

Okay, I have to say that now that we've gone through all the basic ideas, we're on borderline far-fetched. How about an orb that would let Duvalier "phase through" an obstacle. For example, if he were to be trapped in a corner, or needed to reach a place fast, without bothering with a destructible batttlefield object to get through, we could say...

Chartreuse Orb:

[As you touch the orb, everything suddenly goes rigid. The ground beneath you seems more solid, and more real; the air refuses to bend for you. A wave of panic washes over you. Then, like the feeling was never there, it dissappears. Now if you look closely at a wall, you think it might let you pass through if you tried...]

Gives you the ability "Phase":

Cost: 6 PsP and 5 Health
Range: 2 spaces
Status Effect: Lets you pass through a wall obstale in return for PsP and Health.

Background (Why it works, to satisfy certain members or the forums):

Duvalier, with the help of the orb, has now realized that the distances between the actual particles in the atoms that make up his structure are huge distances away, proportionately. Now he can use his Psy abilities to quickly negate those forces which hold his and an obstacle's atoms apart, and pass through. However, during the process, there is a chance that some structural damage occurs on the atomic level. So, if he's feeling weak, attempting this might not be the best idea.

KZ

Effectively, what you're suggesting with the orbs is that Duvalier learns the human equivalent of Shadowport, right?

What do you think of the immunity into resistance, resistance halved idea?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

MikeW781

Im for the immunity/resistance orb.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

ArtDrake

Oh, whoops! I didn't realize that there was a debate over which function! I meant the resistance/immunity orb.

KZ

Which one are you referring to? The mental resistance, or the immunity/resistance reduction orb?
I'd kindly ask for people to refer to the orb function, rather than orb name- that's really for Craig to decice  and it does prevent confusion and pointless backtracking to see which orb means what.
(Thus, here I'll make an educated guess you meant the latter and not the former functionality.)
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

I don't particularly like KZ's explanation, but I like the immunity/resistance orb idea enough to overlook that fact.

KZ

What aspect of it you find dodgy/not very appealing? (I agree, it's not the smoothest explanation offered, but it does explain what happens). Can you provide/fill in the gaps for the explanation?
I also like the idea enough to try and find better/refine the explanation for it right now.
(Ok, 4 people for the idea, 1 more possibly for. Let's hear from about 3-5 more people to get this on track to becoming formalised.)
Welcome to the forums!

Cypher

Yay for the immunity/resistance orb.

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on September 04, 2010, 02:12:21 PM
What aspect of it you find dodgy/not very appealing? (I agree, it's not the smoothest explanation offered, but it does explain what happens). Can you provide/fill in the gaps for the explanation?
I also like the idea enough to try and find better/refine the explanation for it right now.
(Ok, 4 people for the idea, 1 more possibly for. Let's hear from about 3-5 more people to get this on track to becoming formalised.)
I don't understand how the orb would apply to spirits unsolid bodies or Spriggats element-proof skin.

bugfartboy

I like phase on general but what if instead of teleporting, it gave Duvalier the ability to walk through objects on the battlefield ( enemies, friends, walls, etc.) there was a starting psp cost, but a health cost for every object he walks through?

ArtDrake

Okay, but then there's the added challenge of coding the idea that 2 people can be in the same square, and if we go with my explanation (which, of course, we might not) then Duvalier needs to keep his time in decoherence short. Otherwise, he would effectively fall apart.

KZ

Ok, thanks im2smart4u. I think I can explain the ghosts: was discussed previously in the ghosts ability to move through objects in juxtapose, the spirit simply assimilates a volume of particles around itsself to give it physical form (ie condensed air on where the spirit is localised), and when one breaks through the Spirit's defenses, one effectively severs temporarily the spirit's control over the condensed particles, so they go back to their original (gas) state. What Duvalier can now do is note the imperfections in the way the form takes shape, such that he'll attack in the weak places (like driving a wedge into a log/tree- requires less force to severe/topple it) and thus will be able to deal more damage with the same amount of power- this orb simply increases his awareness of the surroundings and flows of particles around him.
For Spriggats, that's a bit different and more difficult, but remember that, from discussion on old forums, what the Spriggats have is simply chemical coatings which keep the Spriggat from harming him/her-self, so again, I guess it's the same principle- the cover isn't uniform, he can find some weak places and exploit them (think of paint on a car- if you find a scratch, soon the old cars will form rust on the place, and more and more of the paint will peel off, revealing more iron for air to oxidise and thus form more rust- a cascading process- methinks it's the same idea, hurt the Spriggat in the weakest places and expand the attack).
How does this sound, folks?

Thus, who else is for/against immunity/resistance orb?
Welcome to the forums!