News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Emblems

Started by SmartyPants, February 19, 2010, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

The Shadowling Empire has a emblem of a half-black, half-grey crown on a red background.
The Cult has the famous emblem of a gold circle above a downward pointing triangle.

Shouldn't organizations like People's Resistance of Ravinale, Psy Academy, The Mechanics, Shadowling Republic, and the Helenites have thier own emblems.

Like the Continental Army rallying behind a red, white, and blue flag, the People's Resistance of Ravinale needs a symbol that will inspire their growing army to fight the oppressive Cult.

KZ

Well, my argument is the same as in the old forums: not all organisations or formations have an emblem, and for some having an emblem would have a negative effect, whilst yet others employ other means to identify themselves. For instance, the People's Resistance is an illegal organisation, having an emblem and waiving it around will simply be asking for trouble- if someone's house is raided and the Cult finds it, the folks in the house are doomed- it simply provides extra proof for the common folk to see and stregthen the Cult's case- they really did catch the "dark ones" (since the Resistance is mostly Psy based, and look at how the crowd reacted to the execution escape). The Mechanics, on the other hand, have a very particular uniform and way of dressing- they're instantly recognisable, so in a way, their uniform is their emblem.
On the other hand, the Psy Academy, as an academic institution, might as well have a coat-of-arms, despite having its members wear a uniform (which is also relatively recognisable). The Shadowling Republic would probably need a new flag, possibly exactly the same as before, but without a crown (quite a few real-world examples here, think Italy, for one)?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on February 22, 2010, 06:21:26 AM
For instance, the People's Resistance is an illegal organisation, having an emblem and waiving it around will simply be asking for trouble- if someone's house is raided and the Cult finds it, the folks in the house are doomed- it simply provides extra proof for the common folk to see and stregthen the Cult's case- they really did catch the "dark ones" (since the Resistance is mostly Psy based, and look at how the crowd reacted to the execution escape).
Sympathizers like Fife shouldn't have the Emblem in their homes or businesses, but the army in the Bandit Cave should be okay with an emblem on a flag.  If the soldiers in the Bandit Cave are attacked, then they wouldn't be worring too much about hidding their emblem.

Quote from: KZ on February 22, 2010, 06:21:26 AMThe Mechanics, on the other hand, have a very particular uniform and way of dressing- they're instantly recognisable, so in a way, their uniform is their emblem.
How do you know their armor isn't similar to other mercenaries groups? Plus, every Medieval mercenary group has a coat of arms.

Zhampir

the would if they just wanted to appear like a colony, and not an army planning to overthrow Ravinvale.

Frosty

Quote from: KZ on February 22, 2010, 06:21:26 AM
On the other hand, the Psy Academy, as an academic institution, might as well have a coat-of-arms, despite having its members wear a uniform (which is also relatively recognisable). The Shadowling Republic would probably need a new flag, possibly exactly the same as before, but without a crown (quite a few real-world examples here, think Italy, for one)?
The Shadowling Loyalists should be the exact same as before, because their fighting for the same cause as the Queen was.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Zhampir

There's no Loyalists anymore, we wiped em out, their the Republic, free of the Queen, so no crown.

Frosty

Quote from: Zhampir on February 22, 2010, 06:59:30 PM
There's no Loyalists anymore, we wiped em out, their the Republic, free of the Queen, so no crown.
Talk to the guard at the psy academy, he'll tell you an intersting story. If you try to leave that is.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

torugo

frosty is right there are guards that say there is a surviving group of loyalists lurking about
mock the pheonix you will burn

KZ

Indeed, there are loyalists out there, but they're not representative of the Somnus Government. Hence, with respect to emblem choice, I think the new republic can easily adopt the old version sans the crown.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 15, 2010, 04:17:15 PM
Indeed, there are loyalists out there, but they're not representative of the Somnus Government. Hence, with respect to emblem choice, I think the new republic can easily adopt the old version sans the crown.
Possible Shadowling Republic Emblem?

KZ

Why not? I like it. Neat and to the point.
Welcome to the forums!

Presentiment

How about this?

bump?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Presentiment on March 23, 2010, 09:43:22 PM
How about this?

I don't think so.
I see why you like government control of health care.  You have a emblem for a country that controls everything.

Zackirus

Quote from: Presentiment on March 23, 2010, 09:43:22 PM
How about this?

bump?

I'm pretty sure sombody will get mad at Craig for putting China's flag in the game (not to metion) its very un-orginal, and that is not craigs style (as I have learned  ;) )
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada