News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What party will win in 2012?

Started by Deagonx, September 05, 2011, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

David thought it was okay to exchange 200 foreskins for a bride, but I don't assume that all Christains and Jews agree with that.

To be unwilling to vote for someone just because they have a different religion makes you no different then those nutbags in Iraq.

Dean_Lukas

Quote from: Deagonx on October 13, 2011, 10:31:48 PM
Quote from: SmartyPants on October 13, 2011, 04:53:28 PM
The mainstream Mormon church doesn't believe in polygamy anymore.

Do you have any more prejudice assumptions about Romney and his religion?

1. Brigham young would disagree

He's also dead. And this topic is getting both pretty off-topic and kinda offensive.
That awkward moment when your student's gone evil and wants to destroy you.

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 14, 2011, 12:19:34 PM
To be unwilling to vote for someone just because they have a different religion makes you no different then those nutbags in Iraq.

I wouldn't vote for a muslim. His decisions might change based on that. JFK was Catholic, which is a sect of christianity. So I wouldn't have any problem with him.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

SmartyPants

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I don't find religion as very important issue for a candidate in a government that separates church and state, while Deagonx's bigotry won't allow him to vote for any non-Christians.

Deagonx

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 14, 2011, 05:28:50 PM
any non-Christians.

Atheists I wouldn't mind too much. Muslims and Mormons are driven by their books. Their books I believe have bad morals and strange teachings. Atheists go by common goodness.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

Ertxiem

That's a rather biased opinion, to say the least.
I think that there are moderate religious people in every religion. As there are extremists in all religions.
If you want, you can choose who you vote for based mainly on his/her religion but I think that will not make you much different from an extremist of any other religion.
I personally prefer to choose somebody based on their past political actions and presented ideas (even if half of them will be discarded).
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

I personally prefer for a candidate to not be over religous, because I don't want to hear them preach.  I would also prefer a candidate to have some faith because their were disastrous effects of atheism on the Communist Parties of the Soviet Union and China.  Even if I think Mormonism is a fanfic of Christianity, I would prefer Romney to be a moderate Mormon then a atheist.  If Obama really was a secret muslim, then I would only be upset that he kept it secret.  I share very similar political beliefs with my Muslim friends.

I think that there are moderate religious people in every religion. As there are extremists in all religions. Just because one shares the same religious beliefs with someone, doesn't mean they shair the same political beliefs.  The Kennedys are known for being very devote Catholics, yet they consider themselves Pro-Choice. 

Zackirus

My personal belief is that Religion and Politics should be keep seperate. I have no problem having a leader be religious or atheist, as long as they don't let the confines of they religion shape the policies that they make or enforce it on other people.

However, between the two leaders, I would rather vote for Perry for what he stands for and for the great commercial I saw supporting his campaign on YouTube. In the grand scheme of things however, I think that Obama will win no matter which one wins, so it doesn't really matter.

Link to Great Commerical:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&ei=tvGZToTJG-_J0AHE8uClBA&ved=0CCAQvwUoAQ&q=Armed+Chinese+Troops+in+Texas&spell=1&biw=320&bih=356
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

To be clear, I prefer someone with faith, but I am not against atheist.

Quote from: Zackirus on October 15, 2011, 03:49:52 PMIn the grand scheme of things however, I think that Obama will win no matter which one wins, so it doesn't really matter.
You honestly believe that Obama will win with 9% unemployment? 

Quote from: Zackirus on October 15, 2011, 03:49:52 PMArmed Chinese Troops in Texas
The difference between Rob Paul's theoretical example and the US's current foreign policy is that Ron Paul's example has foreign troops in America involuntarily, while the US troops in Afghanistan, Iraq, Columbia, South Korea and Japan are asked to stay there by democratically elected government officials.  Afghanistan's elected officials still want us there to defend them, while Iraq only agreed to keep American toops until the end of 2011, so we have to leave at the end of the year (even if we wanted to keep soldiers there).

Zackirus

Plently of U.S. Presidents have been down in their rating halfway through their terms and came back to win the election.

The example aside, I think it is a Good Ad conveying the request of part of the populace that wants the American troops to return home from Iraq, which Obama promised he would do mind you.

Also: Their could a Ontario Provincal Election in 2012 so I hope that the conservatives can bounce back and get the most amount of seats.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on October 15, 2011, 08:53:20 PMPlently of U.S. Presidents have been down in their rating halfway through their terms and came back to win the election.
Popularity polls aside, no modern president has won their reelection when the economy is bad and not improving.

Quote from: Zackirus on October 15, 2011, 08:53:20 PMThe example aside, I think it is a Good Ad conveying the request of part of the populace that wants the American troops to return home from Iraq, which Obama promised he would do mind you.
A)The agreement to remove troops from Iraq was an agreement between the Iraqi government and Bush.
B)Obama may have removed troops from Iraq, but the soldiers didn't go home.  He moved them from Iraq to Afghanistan.
C)Foreign policy successes will not help Obama much when a majority of people don't like the way he is handling the economy.  Killing bin Laden didn't even help Obama's poll numbers for more then a week.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on October 16, 2011, 10:27:45 PMOr might his poll numbers have ended up worse had he not made the attempt to bring Osama bin Laden to justice for his crimes?
That is not how things work.  His approve rating was in the low 40s before the bin Laden raid.  After the raid, Obama's approval rating jumped to 61%.  Due to short attention spans, people forgot about his foreign policy success in a week and his approval rating dropped back to the low 40s.

CraigStern

Quote from: Zackirus on October 15, 2011, 03:49:52 PMHowever, between the two leaders, I would rather vote for Perry for what he stands for and for the great commercial I saw supporting his campaign on YouTube. ...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&ei=tvGZToTJG-_J0AHE8uClBA&ved=0CCAQvwUoAQ&q=Armed+Chinese+Troops+in+Texas&spell=1&biw=320&bih=356

To clarify: that's a Ron Paul commercial. Rick Perry is the guy who ran this commercial.

SmartyPants

I both agree and disagree with that commercial.  I disagree with the statment about gays in the military, because he is forcing his christian beleifs on people.  I do agree with most of the other comercials, because he mentions examples of the goverment supressing relgious beliefs.  People be free to pray in school if they so choose, because it their first admendment right.  Also, the "War on Christmas" is stupid.  Most Christmas traditions are secular things based on pagan traditions.  There wasn't snow, chirstmans trees, reindeer, or fat men in red suits when Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

Neither Ron Paul or Rick Perry seem likely win the Republican nominee, so they both seem kinda irrelevant to this topic.  Though, the Republicans would definitely lose the election to Obama if Ron Paul goes third party.

CraigStern

A quick point of clarification: students already are free to pray in school; that's protected by the free exercise clause of the First Amendment. However, the school itself cannot endorse prayer by featuring it as a part of official school events. When a public school has students pray as part of an official school event, it counts as the school endorsing prayer, even though a student is doing the praying. Some people seem to get confused about this last point, which is why you have the myth of schools preventing students from praying. Students can pray: they just can't be used as stand-ins for school officials at school events in order to let the school endorse religion over non-religion, or vice versa.