News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The early access bug reporting thread

Started by CraigStern, February 18, 2013, 10:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Thanks for the reports, guys!

Quote from: JeenLeen on May 24, 2013, 10:31:51 PM2. If I exit a battle screen while the points are still tallying (making the sound effect as the points accumulate 'ching-ching-ching'), the sound effect persists.  The sound continues even if I start a new battle, but it does end if I let the new battle's ending 'ching-ching-ching' sound stop.  (EDIT: same also happens during Campaign mode, and has it persist through the next battle.  Persists also if you Surrender or Quit Game while it's continuing, even through the 'defeat music' Surrender causes.)

I just fixed that this morning; that'll be in the next update. :)

Quote from: JeenLeen on May 24, 2013, 10:31:51 PM4. In the 4-way battle on Stonebridge, when I choose to 'Surrender' in hopes of ending the battle, the other enemies (all CPU) kept fighting.  Is there a way to cause the battle to end early?  I thought there was, but I didn't see it when I looked at the menu.  Ended up Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out.

You can't quit in multiplayer unless and until all players are CPU players, just to keep human players from killing the game out of pique. Once it's all CPU players, though, Ctrl + Shift + Q will quit the game.

bugfartboy

Quote from: JeenLeen on May 25, 2013, 11:32:34 AM
(As a side question, do barrels always have items, % chance of having items, or when designing the map you code what barrels have items?  Likewise, if items, are they randomly determined or coded beforehand?)
If you look at the map file, you can see the coordinates of every battlefield object on the map, and what items they're "carrying".

CraigStern

Yup: it's determined ahead of time, not random.

JeenLeen

The 'Feedback' attack always states that it does the maximum damage, even if it actually does less (because the character has less than that amount of HP missing.)

Also, if a cyrokineticist is pushed into lava and swims out, he uses the 'casting' action before moving onto land.

If I use an item (seen this with Focus Pills and Bandages), after the text for the points restored, the words "null 0" pop up on the character in the same font.  The same thing happens if I use the item a second time while fully healed (just no text for the amount healed shows up.)

Lastly with items, it seems that whenever an enemy picks up an item sack, it ends its turn.  I've also seen them do this after using an item (including a caster using Focus Pills).  In all times I remember, the enemy was not in attacking range of me, but they did have move left and it seemed like they would come after me. 

bugfartboy

Quote from: JeenLeen
Also, if a cyrokineticist is pushed into lava and swims out, he uses the 'casting' action before moving onto land.
I haven't look at the game-code for the Cryokineticist recently, but this is probably just due to the fact that not all of the animations are finished yet, including the one for swimming. The "Cast" animation is probably just the default for the whole unit right now.

CraigStern

Quote from: JeenLeen on June 11, 2013, 05:13:02 PM
The 'Feedback' attack always states that it does the maximum damage, even if it actually does less (because the character has less than that amount of HP missing.)

Where? In the tooltip, or in the targeting reticle?

JeenLeen

Quote from: CraigStern on June 13, 2013, 08:24:20 PM
Quote from: JeenLeen on June 11, 2013, 05:13:02 PM

Where? In the tooltip, or in the targeting reticle?

After I select the attack, when I put my cursor over the enemy I want to target and it gives the little preview of how much damage I will do after the attack, the same number (16, I think) shows up regardless of how much damage the attack will actually deal.
(Sorry, but I'm 100% sure which of the terms you used describe this.  I can get a screenshot over the weekend if needed.)

CraigStern

That tells me what I need to know. (You're talking about the targeting reticle.) Thanks!

JeenLeen

Just downloaded the installer and reinstalled.  In one fight, when attacking a certain unit in a certain location (it got frozen on the first attack and died after 1 or 2 more, still frozen) the targeting reticle did not appear.  It did appear for other enemies.  Screenshot attached.
Edit: the number of damage-to-be-dealt did not appear when I put the cursor over the unit, either.  I realized in the screenshot that my mouse is not on the guy, so I wanted to make that clear.

Also, on odd item usage (still haven't tested it well), one unit started its turn (or maybe moved to get an item bag then started its turn, but I think started its turn) using Runner's Cleats, then the word "Sprint" appeared on them (not sure if that means they used Spring or it meant it unlocked the power for them), then they ended their turn.  There's been a few times when an enemy uses an item then doesn't move towards me or attack, despite being able to.
Edit 2: after using Caffine Pills, the Engineer in the screenshot ended his action.  Then the enemy psychic moved, roughly as shown in the screenshot, before ending turn.  Just to give some context to an enemy acting odd after using an item.  (Engineer used it as starting action of that turn.)

Lastly, I noticed that sometimes when my turn begins, it seems to automatically end.  I think what is actually happening is that the menu that pops up when I start my turn pops up where my mouse is (not always, but sometimes) and I click 'End Turn' without realizing it.  While this is carelessness on my part, it is frustrating.  Maybe add a "Are you sure?" if a player Ends Turn while they have characters that can still act?

CraigStern

Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote from: JeenLeen on June 29, 2013, 02:48:37 PMMaybe add a "Are you sure?" if a player Ends Turn while they have characters that can still act?

That's been on The List for a while; it's coming, sooner or later. :)

JeenLeen

On the installer as of my last post (June 29):

1. When using Feedback (by a Mentalist this time against a Stone Golem, she at full health), it said it would do 3 damage and did none (0 appeared).  Later, with the same targeting, no number came up as the reticle (just nothing popped up).  When I tried targeting others, still nothing.  When I did the attack, she did her action, but no number or anything happened, not even a 0 as it did when I hit the golem earlier.

2. In contrast to my earlier posts about odd item use, a golem used 2 items at once, then proceeded to punch someone next to it.  Maybe 2 items is read differently than just 1, or using items makes enemy AI think it has 0 move?

3. Odd freeze, but I got a screenshot of it. (attached.  Also, this is the battle setup #1 and 2 above happened in)
1. That enemy turn started and a few enemies acted.  The stone golem started to act.  It used Thermal Paste.
2. The game 'froze' in the sense that nothing new happened.  Snow kept falling; music kept on.
3. I hit F1 then Resume.
4. Game resumed with the enemy golem's action bar popped up.  I could look at its items (but I didn't do anything with any), exit its menu bar, and re-enter its menu bar.  (Screenshot is here.)
5. I had the golem move down 1 space.
6. AI resumed control.  It grabbed an item bag on that space, then ended turn.  (It couldn't hit or reach any of my units, but it had the move left to keep moving towards them, so it seemed odd it ended turn.)

4. Also in this stage, an enemy unit used Focus Pills, then ended its actions without moving.

--

On an unrelated note, I've noticed (as I reckon you have) that the AI do not think as a group.  Enemy teams split up in different directions, units that go earlier in the turn end without moving because other units are blocking them, etc.  Also, spirits will transfer energy to a 'caster' that has already acted and ended its turn, while it could have really helped the enemy team if it transferred first.

bugfartboy

I created a very basic map with the map editor earlier today. I saved it, and exited. Now when I attempt to load it with the map editor, the map dimensions adjust, but the map remains white.

CraigStern

Off the top of my head: that's a strange URL the map has listed for the Cave tileset. What OS are you using? Are the Telepath Tactics and Telepath Tactics Map Editor folders in the same parent directory (e.g. Applications or Program Files x86)?

bugfartboy

I'm using Windows 7, and they are indeed in the same directory. I did have them install to my desktop, however.

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on July 09, 2013, 03:16:28 PMI did have them install to my desktop, however.

I think that might be the issue. Try reinstalling them both in the default (Program Files) directory and see if that fixes it.