News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Solo Battles with a Chosen Character

Started by Zackirus, July 15, 2010, 08:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zackirus

You know how you are just Arman and you fight the Ravinville guards at the end of mission 4. Well that made me think. Will their be more battles when you are using just Arman, Griffin, or Rahel by themselves. If so then would everyone like to see custom solo battles included in the Map maker section and more of them throughout the game. 
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

MikeW781

Custom solo battles are fun. Especially because they make it so that you can't just uber train your main like TRPG2- you need to have a realitively balanced team.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Bromtaghon

I agree- it encourages/enforces training the entire team.  Although with Arman, all you need is Leap, a good strategy and some health as a backup just in case.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Duskling

I like this idea, it'll let you experiment with other characters individually, you know, to see their weaknesses and such.

Bromtaghon

A Rahel solo mission would be very interesting.

Barzul

Maybe Rahel defending the ex-bandit hideout from the second-story walkway like the bandit long bowmen were in that battle. Stopping a wave of bandits from entering the cave and saving all the rescued psys. I mean she is there alone already...

Bromtaghon

The labour workers got there, she didn't (or at least, we haven't seen her.)  So maybe she's not.

KZ

I also like the idea. Though I think some of the battles should be optional, or early on in the game, since people will train up their characters individually and may neglect some of the key team members and will be frustrated at the prospect of grinding for a character they neglected to use in-battle much.
Thus, I think having 2 or (max) 3 main battles with solo performances would be sweet, then have side-quests or simply NPC-turned-fight interactions for the rest of the team (e.g. Malis walking down a street and running into some hooligans, Griffin having a disagreement or a wager with some of the guards at the Psy Academy- an amicable one, like who is a better swordsman?, etc)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

mezzoforte

I think this is good too.  I was just thinking that Arman was perfect for a timed survival battle, but do the others, like Rahel, have qualities that would make for a good solo battle?

I mean, with Arman, there was the strategy of where to run to and whether to jump on a building or jump down.  What kind of strategy works with Rahel, or any of the others?

I think a battle with Griffin and Set would work nicely.  It would also make for an interesting change to have them gone!

Maybe another could be with Set and the new recruits.  It could be a protection battle, where he's trying to keep everyone alive.  The recruits can move and fight, but not too well.  Either the enemies must all be killed, or it's simply a timed survival game.    Maybe Griffin can be there too, if there's a lot of enemies.

MikeW781

Quote from: mezzoforte on August 12, 2010, 05:28:38 PM
I think this is good too.  I was just thinking that Arman was perfect for a timed survival battle, but do the others, like Rahel, have qualities that would make for a good solo battle?

I mean, with Arman, there was the strategy of where to run to and whether to jump on a building or jump down.  What kind of strategy works with Rahel, or any of the others?

I think a battle with Griffin and Set would work nicely.  It would also make for an interesting change to have them gone!

Maybe another could be with Set and the new recruits.  It could be a protection battle, where he's trying to keep everyone alive.  The recruits can move and fight, but not too well.  Either the enemies must all be killed, or it's simply a timed survival game.    Maybe Griffin can be there too, if there's a lot of enemies.
This is true, the battles should be tailored to the characters. Having Griffin fight an overwhelming force in a suvival fight wouldn't work, but having him to two or three on one would be neat. Luca could fight some people with Fiooz at her side. Rahel should, as Barzul said, defend a position from a perch, Set could play a defensive role, but I think Malis sounds like the most interesting possibility. Maybe she could be pittd against a superior force, but be placed in a maze so she would be forced to shadowport and ambush them.
However, both Griffin, Rahel, and Luca (and Malis, but I hope Craig gives her feedback) are incapable of healing themselves, so that would be important. The battle could turn out to be "who's boosted the most?"

CraigStern

I have a mission planned that involves splitting your team in two and having each half fight battles on its own. :)

Dorgon 5000

Quote from: CraigStern on August 13, 2010, 08:06:55 PM
I have a mission planned that involves splitting your team in two and having each half fight battles on its own. :)

Good idea. I´ve made such maps in the editor myself.

MikeW781

Sweet. Thats how I handle big battles anyways, it lets me surround them and not have to worry about them tripping on each other.

Zackirus

Now will you get to decide which characters go on each side or is it already pre-determined?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada