News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Telepath Tactics - opinions

Started by Ertxiem, May 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ertxiem

It's a very interesting possibility. Since the time it takes for a turn to pass (in game time) is short, I would be amazed if a stone golem was built in it. But will it be possible to take more than one turn to build something?

A workaround would be to build the golem with limited health and movement in the first turn and in the following turns the engineer could increase the health and the movement rate up to a reasonable maximum. That might keep things balanced.

Furthermore, if the engineer needed to gather some resources from different places on the battlefield, that would certainly solve the problem of building an army of expendable units in a short time. On the other hand, gathering resources could mean a different kind of game...
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

It is also possible to summon Barriers or Charges that do elemental damage instead of explosion damage?

Quote from: CraigStern on October 15, 2012, 05:32:01 PMEDIT: For the record, I'm not going to actually keep Summon Stone Golem in the game--it would be massively unbalanced. I just created it to confirm that the functionality is there.
The only way you could get away with such an overpowered attack is to make the user into a boss.

Quote from: Ertxiem on October 15, 2012, 05:45:42 PMFurthermore, if the engineer needed to gather some resources from different places on the battlefield, that would certainly solve the problem of building an army of expendable units in a short time. On the other hand, gathering resources could mean a different kind of game...
That seems like unnecessary work unless Engineers also need to gather resources for bridges and barricades.

bugfartboy

Quote from: Ertxiem on October 15, 2012, 05:45:42 PM
On the other hand, gathering resources could mean a different kind of game...
Perhaps another game mode? Resource wars? Maybe in a mod...

CraigStern

I've been thinking about adding a new game type with resource gathering and unit production; but that'll probably have to wait for an expansion, as creating that would be a huge endeavor.

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 15, 2012, 09:31:12 PM
It is also possible to summon Barriers or Charges that do elemental damage instead of explosion damage?

I'm pretty sure the answer to the question about Barriers is yes. You'd need to create a new character class with a movement of 0, create its attack, assign it that attack, then name that new character class as the thing being created in a new Create skill. The only thing is that right now, it wouldn't attack automatically, and would probably be susceptible to backstab. I'd have to double-check to make sure, though.

As for the charges: right now, Explode is the only attack that triggers upon character death--there is not currently any way to create an alternate version of it, although you can always go into the Attacks.xml and modify the Explode attack itself, including granting it a different element.

SmartyPants

Quote from: CraigStern on October 16, 2012, 02:23:47 PMI'm pretty sure the answer to the question about Barriers is yes. You'd need to create a new character class with a movement of 0, create its attack, assign it that attack, then name that new character class as the thing being created in a new Create skill. The only thing is that right now, it wouldn't attack automatically, and would probably be susceptible to backstab. I'd have to double-check to make sure, though.
Would it be possible to create Barrier by coping and pasting the Solid Stae Shield attack, but then change the name and adding an attack?
Also, didn't barrier also have a backstab issue in TSoG?

Quote from: CraigStern on October 16, 2012, 02:23:47 PMAs for the charges: right now, Explode is the only attack that triggers upon character death--there is not currently any way to create an alternate version of it, although you can always go into the Attacks.xml and modify the Explode attack itself, including granting it a different element.
There goes my hope of modding an Engineer into an Alchemist that uses a varity of elemental bombs.

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 17, 2012, 02:59:01 PM
Do the teams have to be free-for-all?  It would be nice to fight in teams too like one can do in other strategy games such as Age of Empries and Empire Earth.  (If you ever plan on making a single player campaign, then having teams could come in handy with storytelling.)

Here are somethings I would like to do:
* Two Player Team vs. Two Player Team
* Three Player Team vs. Three Player Team
* Two Player Team vs. Two Player Team vs. Two Player Team
* Two Player Team vs. Three AI Team
* Player-AI Team vs. Player-AI Team
* Player vs. Two AI Team vs. Three AI Team

Everything mentioned in this post is now in-game and working. ;)

CraigStern

Character movement animations are now in the game! I woke up early this morning and recorded a teaser video showing off the new animations; I strongly suggest watching this one at 1080p so you can see all the details:

Sythion

I can't wait, it looks amazing.  :)
Hunger is the best spice.

SmartyPants

I don't think the photo gives the animation justice.  The Shadowling moving is kinda creepy, but that is what makes it so cool.

On a side note, why do all the sprites look down at the end of each move?

CraigStern

The directional rest sprites were originally created with red team coloration; subsequently, I implemented auto-palette-swapping based on the violet team. They need to be recolored violet before I can stick them in-game. The artist should have those to me pretty soon.

SmartyPants

Will psy healers be forced to only have one Solid State Shield at a time like in TSoG and TPA?

CraigStern

No: you will be able to create as many Solid State Shields as you like. ;)

ArtDrake

Will there be any sort of additional cost to maintaining more than one Solid State Shield? [I'm not entirely clear on how they work, but it seemed it took some effort for Set to maintain one... ?]

SmartyPants

I believe the main reason for limiting the number of Solid Shields is that the TSoG game engine had limited character slots for the player and the TSoG map's space is too limited to have multiple Solid Shields.

If you want an "in-game" reason for the multiple uses of Solids Shields, then I come up with two.
  • The Psy Healers in the Dundar Archipelago have overcome the limitations of psychic maintenance on the Solid State Shield technique. (I prefer this reason.)
  • Craig could make the creation of each Solid Shield more taxing than the last by making each one costing more PsP than the last. (The same way Fury from TSoG costed more each time it was used).