News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Romney vs Gingrich

Started by SmartyPants, September 14, 2011, 06:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you prefer to be the Republican nominee?

Newt Gingrich
0 (0%)
Mitt Romney
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Dean_Lukas

As unfair as it might seem, a degree of charisma and coherence are necessary in a candidate, especially when going up as someone who can give a speech like Obama. Perry's performance in the debates hasn't been cutting it thus far.
That awkward moment when your student's gone evil and wants to destroy you.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Dean_Lukas on October 04, 2011, 06:47:41 PMAs unfair as it might seem, a degree of charisma and coherence are necessary in a candidate, especially when going up as someone who can give a speech like Obama. Perry's performance in the debates hasn't been cutting it thus far.
Obama is the greatest teleprompter reader of a generation, so he is clearly more qualified then an experienced governor from a state that is known as the country's most sucessful job creator.  Plus, if you have seen more then the one clip of Perry stuttering, then you will see that he is incredibly charismatic.

Quote from: CraigStern on October 04, 2011, 06:59:30 AM
Quote from: SmartyPants on October 03, 2011, 08:33:26 PMPerry is better then most politicains because he is willing to defend ideas that are unpopular.
Surely that isn't enough. Eating babies is an unpopular idea; would it make Perry a superior politician if he defended that?
So you think a politician has to lie about what he beliefs in or he is a baby eater?

I prefer candidates who are consistent and honest about their beliefs over candidates who say what people want to hear without believing it themselves.

Deagonx

I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

Rob

I haven't listen to that many of President Obama's speeches. However, it would seem to me that his more recent speeches are losing their charm. Perhaps he hasn't had as much time to write speeches as he used to (being President probably does keep one busy) or perhaps people are convinced that he won't ever deliver one his speeches. I do agree with Dean_Lukas about the necessity of charisma in a candidate. I believe that President Obama may have lost some of his former charisma, and it may hurt him in the upcoming election.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Rob on October 05, 2011, 10:26:55 PMI haven't listen to that many of President Obama's speeches. However, it would seem to me that his more recent speeches are losing their charm. Perhaps he hasn't had as much time to write speeches as he used to...
Hahaha.  You really think Obama writes his own speeches?  Presidents haven't writen their own speeches since JFK.  Obama constantly relies on speechwriters and teleprompters.  He even had to use a teleprompter to make a speech at an elementary school.

ArtDrake

(Yum! Eating babies!)

Quote from: SmartyPants on October 04, 2011, 10:03:56 PM
Quote from: CraigStern on October 04, 2011, 06:59:30 AM
Quote from: SmartyPants on October 03, 2011, 08:33:26 PMPerry is better then most politicains because he is willing to defend ideas that are unpopular.
Surely that isn't enough. Eating babies is an unpopular idea; would it make Perry a superior politician if he defended that?
So you think a politician has to lie about what he beliefs in or he is a baby eater?

No. That's not what CraigStern implied at all. In fact, he didn't imply anything, but merely asked a question.

If you're going to make any inference from what CraigStern said, the only valid one is, "A politician has to lie about believing in eating babies, if he or she wants to get anywhere."

SmartyPants

Candidates who are consistent and honest about their beliefs (even when their ideas are unpopular) are more trustworthy then candidates who say what people want to hear without believing it themselves.

CraigStern

ArtDrake

state, n.

10. A body politic, especially one constituting a nation.

Eau Claire is a state.

SmartyPants

Duckling is clearly one of those people who see Obama as the liberal messiah who can do no wrong.

Rob

Perhaps referring to Eau Claire as a state is entirely forgivable, but Obama was referring to American states when he said he had been to 57 states. That is quite a slip up.

ArtDrake

True. But hey, I know that my thought process would go, "Okay... fifty states... how many haven't I been to... three... three from ten makes seven... that's fifty and seven. Oh, crap! Forty-seven!"

I don't think he's a liberal messiah; I don't think that he's any sort of messiah. I merely pointed out that one of the commonly discussed errors on the part of Obama was not necessarily an error at all.

SmartyPants

You guys are missing the point.  I am saying that Perry saying that the Revolution took place in the 16 century should be taken just as serious as Obama thinking that there are 60 states in the US.

I more disturb by the fact that the news agencies had to correct Obama about the age of his daughters.

ArtDrake

Most people forget how old their kids are at some point. It's not disturbing, even though your age might seem like the most important and memorable thing in the world when you're a kid. Sometime, you lose track.