News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

I have been, and the map hasn't been loading. I'm not sure if it's the lack of units or something wrong with the dialogue.

CraigStern

Most likely, it's that the map needs units.

bugfartboy

Is it possible to change a character's movement type with an action? For example, give a character flight for a battle. I'm looking through the modding section of the manual, and it seems you can change every stat except that.

CraigStern

bugfartboy

If you had dialog set to occur on turn 0 set in PersistentDialog.xml, and then set dialog to occur on turn 0 in a specific battle, which would take precedence? Would PersistentDialog.xml happen first, then the battle specific dialog? Or would it be inverted? (I'm really hoping the battle specific Dialog would take precedence.)

On another note, is there currently any dialog trigger that can detect when a specific character ends their turn on a specified space?

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on May 09, 2013, 10:44:36 AM
If you had dialog set to occur on turn 0 set in PersistentDialog.xml

I cannot imagine why you would ever want to do that. That dialog would appear at the start of every single battle in the game!

Quote from: bugfartboy on May 09, 2013, 10:44:36 AM
On another note, is there currently any dialog trigger that can detect when a specific character ends their turn on a specified space?

Yes: OnReachingSpace. I think I might've forgotten to post about it, and I'm pretty sure that that's because I haven't tested it to make sure it's 100% working yet, so gimme a couple of days on that one.

bugfartboy

It's more of a "Make sure the player's team starts with full health by multiplying their drain by -100 at the start of every battle, then end the dialog" than actual dialog. I was curious if it would conflict with any actual dialog I inserted into the map itself.

CraigStern

I'm not sure. Why not give it a try? :)

bugfartboy

They play fair, and it seems the map specific OnTurn/0/ comes into play before the PersistentDialog does. I may have spoken too soon... Hmm...

Will we be seeing a special sub-thread for user-generated content in the Telepath Tactics Thread?

[spoiler=P.S.]
P.S. I keep striking things above out, partially because it seems that sometimes I get the dialog correct, and they play fair until I change something without knowing and they stop liking each other.
[/spoiler]

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on May 09, 2013, 09:08:24 PM
Will we be seeing a special sub-thread for user-generated content in the Telepath Tactics Thread?

We couuuuuuld do that, but I'm currently investigating the possibility of getting a proper website to host it instead of having some ramshackle forum thing. I'll be posting when I know. ;)

bugfartboy

Is it possible I could get an action that I could use to load a map, just to set a few variables, and redirect to another map instantly? It seems that the only way I can send the player to another map is by either
(A)Having them win the map without any opponents, which seems rather unprofessional
-or-
(B)Having them "reply" to a dialog box that just says "Just setting up some variables... Don't mind me!", which seems just as unprofessional

CraigStern

Sure; I'll make a new dialog action called JumpToScene.

bugfartboy

Thanks! :) :3

I ask because I want to set a few different variables at the very beginning of the campaign, and can't find anywhere I can put them where they won't be reset anytime I reload a central map.

CraigStern

Okay; it's in. I decided to name it NewScene to keep things consistent with the terminology used in the replies.

bugfartboy

Are the installers updated with all the changes you've made?

Side Note:

In the manual, under Types of Actions, you're counting [1,2,3,2,3,4,...]